PDA

View Full Version : Pavilion 7905 + Windows XP + Plexwriter

ChipL955
December 14th, 2001, 10:57 PM
I recently (one week ago) bought a new HP Pavilion 7905 with Windows XP loaded. From MTU I purchased Microstudio plus KHPro, Vogone and Keyrite. Discovered after installation of all that that I also needed an additional CD drive capable of burning CD+G discs, so I purchased and received today the Plextor CDR USB 8x PX-S88TU/SW. This does not appear to be the same device pictured in your response to Harold below or on your products page, but I suppose they could have changed the styling of it; it is an external CD drive with a USB connection.

The drive does not have installation instructions for use with Windows XP.

Further, my computer does not recognize the device. I get a message saying that I now need a high-speed USB port to run this device.

Specifically, what further equipment do I need and how do I install what I have for use with Windows XP?

Thanks for the help.

Chip

MTUSUPPORT
December 17th, 2001, 01:09 PM
This drive is working fine, when you see this message. The thing is that this drive works on either USB 1.1 wich it will run 4x speed, or on USB 2.0 which it will then run at 8x speed. This is what the message was telling you in XP, that it is going to run at a slower speed, since you don't have a USB 2.0 card in your computer. If you want the faster speed, you can purchase a USB 2.0 card from either www.adaptec.com or www.orangemicro.com (For PCMCIA card). Either of these will allow you to get the full performance out of the drive.

ChipL955
December 17th, 2001, 03:21 PM
First, thanks for the speedy reply to my first post.

Second: I understand your answer, that the CD+G burner will work more slowly since it's hooked up to a USB 1.1 port. But when I click on "My Computer" on the start menu, under Hardware, shouldn't it show that there is an additional device connected to the computer? Or will that not show up until after I run the installation software in my regular CD drive?

I apologize for being very karaoke-production-interested-without-being-computer savvy.

Thanks again for the very fast service on the products I've purchased and the questions I've posted.

Chip

MTUSUPPORT
December 17th, 2001, 05:40 PM
I am not sure what would cause this, but here is a question that needs to be asked (Please don't be insulted by it) but is the power on the drive turned on? I just hooked one up to my XP test system and it worked fine, after I remembered to turn the power on. So I figured if I forgot this, this could also be someone elses problem. This USB CD-R drive shows up under my XP system without any problem in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

You will have to download this ASPI driver for Microstudio to recognize the drive: http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=904

ChipL955
December 18th, 2001, 02:08 AM
I'm not insulted; in fact, I'm amused, because it took me a while before I figured out which position was "on" on the CD burner. Yes, it's on.

I'm going to go ahead and load the Plextor software and see if XP recognizes the drive then. I will report back.

Thanks again for all your help.