PDA

View Full Version : Characters in song titles & artist names

Lonman
March 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
I was just wondering is there a reason none of the databases seem to have symbol characters in the titles. Example "I'll" is listed as "Ill" or "don't" is listed as "dont", etc...I have been going through & changing all these back to read the apostrophe, is this going to be a tragic mistake on my part?

ddouglass
March 21st, 2007, 11:28 PM
I was just wondering is there a reason none of the databases seem to have symbol characters in the titles. Example "I'll" is listed as "Ill" or "don't" is listed as "dont", etc...I have been going through & changing all these back to read the apostrophe, is this going to be a tragic mistake on my part?
Originally, the database set up wouldn't handle the symbols correctly so they left them out. They do work with current versions so you can add them back in when you import or edit now, but the bucket database doesn't have them.

Lonman
March 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Right on, thanks!

gd123
March 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Originally, the DB didn't have a problem with the apostrophe (').

Originally, the DB had a problem the the QUOTE (").

Which is not to be confused with the DOUBLE apostrophe (''), which looks the same as the QUOTE and was used as a REPLACEMENT for the QUOTE.

Really, the best way to do Importing, is to Rip your discs to the HD and name them with a Trk naming program that utilizes a DB that has Correct punctuation.

This will resolve 90% of future DB punctuation problems and save hundreds of hours in editing.

If you use Hoster's SONGBOOK, this will save you from having Multiple SAME Artist Heading entries of the same song.

This will save you from having to type Title and Artist info into the Hoster Import List of any NEW Disc that may not be listed on the Free DB.

The list goes on...