PDA

View Full Version : nikkodo, soundchoice, microstudio pro (hoster)

luigi77047
November 1st, 2001, 07:53 PM
The following is my view's , opinions and my experiences:

I originally bought my microstudio program so I could Practice ALL of my cdg's on my computer. I additionally wanted to back up ALL of my cdg's with my computer. I have the latest version of this program. What I ran into: I have backed up several cdg's with my Microstudio program. It plays and backs up most cdg's, BUT! The program will NOT play some of my Nikkodo cdg's. The text is doubled on the screen and over laps.

At first MTU blamed my cdr drive. The "problem" disks work fine in my karaoke show cdg player and anyone elses, but will not work in microstudio environment. I purchased a new cdr drive (another one, model # reccomended by mtu), I tried these "problem" cdg's in a freinds microstudio system, with the same results. After about 6 months of searching, I seen a post with a reply from MTU, that said that some nikkodo disks, the timing was changed by the manufacturer and that they probabally would not ever be able to fix this bug.

I've noticed also that some of the newer Sound Choice cdg's can not be backed up with the microstudio program. Even if you select each track and record individually you will get a squeeling sound in the background. Is this some copyguard feature that mtu has built into the program to stop us from backing up sc disks? Admin Answer: Absolutely NOT! This is totally and completely a decision of Sound Choice to make it impossible to back up and even play their discs on a computer. An example of how manufactures stop you from backing up is vcr's. Older vcr's Prior to 1980 will back up macrovision copy protected movies, but the newer vcr's are designed not to. MTU, Did you do this with microstudio? NOTE: I know about multisession cd's and can/have backed up the sc cdg's with another program. Again this is not only on my machine, I have tried on several other microstudio environment systems with same result. MTU says that they have been asked by sound choice to not provide information on how to back up SC disks. Admin answer: We say this because it is the truth. We are tool makers providing tools to singers, hosts, and producers. Sound Choice is a producer and is thus a potential client of MTU. It is reasonable for us to try to comply with their wishes (they want us to remove all our products from the market but we refuse to do that), just as we try to comply with your wishes, but won't meet every wish you have either.

Additionally I ran into a few [new discs from] sound choice cdg's that a computer cdr drive will not read, due to a copy guard tecnique on the starting track. Again this is not only on my machine, I have tried on several other microstudio environment systems with same result.

So, finally my question is Will you new program support ALL ALL, of the cdg's? OR At least 99%,Or will I still have to lug around cdg's that "people ask you not to assist your customers in backing up?" Will I still have to lug around Nikkodo disks or any other cdg's that have "changed their timing?"

Will your new program fix these problems? In my opinion if the cdg will play in any normal karaoke player it should be able to play in your karaoke Hoster program or it is self defeating to have to lug both , hoster and old cdg player to the show. Will your new HOSTER program fix these problems?

P.S Will Hoster also support vcd's. A lot of karaoke disks are in the video disk format lately.

George
November 2nd, 2001, 03:03 PM
Have never had a problem making back ups of any brand CDG using Microstudio up until the latest bug installed by Sound Choice, which is beyond MTU's responsibility(see other posts this forum) . Think your problem is elsewhere, not MTU products.

If you were copying Macrovision protected VHS tapes without the use of a "video stabilizer" back in the 80's, consider yourself rarely lucky. Have had to use one for over 20 years to overcome Macrovision, with the exception of 8mm. It will copy VHS to 8mm direct without any problems. Probably because 8mm is in Beta format.

Take care,

George

admin
November 2nd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Sound Choice has chosen to add a copy protection that prevents even playing on a computer. There is nothing I can do about it. It has been reported to MTU from other disc manufacturers that the new Sound Choice discs do NOT play even on some Karaoke Players. Thus, don't expect us to try to correct their problems. The answer is simple don't buy SC discs. By boycotting their copy protection schemes, you are "economically voting" for them to stop this practice they noware "trying out" on you.

As you have read previously, Nikkodo discs have a varance from the standard timing. What you are overlooking is the complexity of writing a software program to emulate the hardware chips in Karaoke machies. We have crawled through the CDG spec several times, and will be doing it again. So far, we have not found what will make the Nikkodo discs play on our player.

With Hoster, we will try to support Nikkodo if we can identify the problem. There is a point of diminishing returns in any product development. If it costs us $10,000 to try to make Nikkodo discs work, we won't do it, or we will have an adder for you to pay to be able to play Nikkodo discs to cover our development costs.

I thank you for posting your concerns, and I assure you we are trying to make Nikkodo discs import and play properly. As to Sound Choice, they have made their statement very clear. They have no intention of allowing you to copy their discs or play them on a computer. :r

Jim Knoll
November 4th, 2001, 07:01 PM
hey, on top of all of this could we get newer recorders on the list that will work? I went out and bought a new Sony CDR and the program dosn't even see that it exists! then I find out that you don't support CDR's that are newer than 2000... why? am I supposed to buy a CDR from YOU? the price you charge is rediculous...get with technology....

George
November 4th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Under their FAQ section regarding what Sony Writers they support, Goldenhawk lists only the following models as having CDG capability.
Sony CRX100E
Sony CRX110E
Sony CRX120E
Sony CRX140E
Sony CRX140S

If you have one of these and it is certified to read/write cdg then I'd guess you have some other problem than MTU software. I purchased a burner from MTU less than a year ago, and am considering another for my 2nd pc. In checking their list I can easily see that the products they are willing to certify as handling cdg has been upgraded. I'm sure the Plextor line they recommend can be purchased elsewhere, perhaps even a bit cheaper, but I doubt anyone else will bench test them and certify them for CDG before shipping. I for one am willing to pay for this service.
Sure beats buying something that won't process CDG and having to use it for a boat anchor, then getting one that will. Hope you're not in this situation. It stings, I know 'cause I was there when I met up with MTU.

Goldenhawk's site is www.goldenhawk.com

I'm really confused with that bit about MTU not supporting CDR's newer that 2000. Do you have some info on that to pass on?

Hope this helps

Take care

George

David and Audra
August 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I just want to be able to copy VCD's onto my Hoster and play them back ! Has anyone got any tips on how to do it??

ddouglass
August 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I just want to be able to copy VCD's onto my Hoster and play them back ! Has anyone got any tips on how to do it??

You might try asking this in the Hoster Help Forum instead of the MicroStudio Help Forum. You can play VCD files, but you cannot import them permanently into Hoster. To add them to your playlist you click on "Video" button, find the file, click on Open, then in Playlist edit the singer's name.

gduns - with the Lord
August 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I use and inexpensive program called "imtoo" Platinum that rips dvd's to the hard drive.

ad far as vcd's copy the tracks to the hard drive into a folder and rename then to the title and artist of the song

IE: 1. I love this bar - Toby Keith.dat

I have an entire collection of vcd's of about 60 vcd's on my hard drive. I also have about 40 dvd's there are some good ones there too. I like the Original soundtracks collection. they have the original artist playing in the video behind the karaoke music.

lmcmains
August 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM
Did you ever get your VCD's to work? I have all my VCD's in a folder like Gary says to do. Mine all play good in Hoster.

Skybird74
August 31st, 2006, 09:07 PM
This is explained in the Manual. Transfer the .dat files to a folder on your hard drive and then these can be played in Hoster by Adding to the Playlist. However, 3.310 is supposed to be able to play in .mpx format allowing you to choose between channels, but I have not been able to get it to do that. I simply get the music/video without the lead singer. But at least I don't have to carry my VCDs anymore unless I want to hear them with the lead singer.