PDA

View Full Version : OS opinion

kedmison
December 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
I'm getting a new laptop. Will be running my Hoster. Any opinions as to which OS everyone thinks is best. XP HOme, XP Pro or Media Center?

Thanks,

Kelly

lmcmains
December 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Any of them will work fine. I have xp pro on five computers and I like it fine. All the MTU software will work good on any of those.

kedmison
December 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for responding. I have it on most of mine also, but am getting a Dell and couldn't see paying an extra $149 for PRO vs Media Center as long as it will work and I won't be using the laptop for anything BUT Hoster.

Again thanks,

Kelly:)

Garry A. Leslie
December 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hey All,
I have had all MTU programmes running at some time with XP Home, Pro and Media Centre,
All have worked well together, with no obvious differences, so "You pays your money and takes your choice"
Regards from across the pond.
Garry

billyo
December 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for responding. I have it on most of mine also, but am getting a Dell and couldn't see paying an extra $149 for PRO vs Media Center as long as it will work and I won't be using the laptop for anything BUT Hoster.

Again thanks,

Kelly:)

any of them works fine.. ..i got 2 laptops from dell a E1505 and a E1405 and i have hoster on both of them.. i like the 1405 better ( both got intel core duo processor 1gig shared dual channel and etc.. ) , the only thing was they both have a 7 pins s-video out..and it's so hard to find a 7 pins not even radio shack has 'em.. had to order mine from dell for $10.00 ... i was told by someone in forum that a 4 pin will work..havent tried it yet though..

kilith
December 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
The only difference between home and pro is networking features. If it is between home and media center I would actually pick media center since it is made more for media use.

If looking at dell I would really recomend getting complete care accidental damage warrenty. I used to work for Dell and the accidental coverage is a great thing to have it you will be taking your laptop into bars or moving it around a lot. What it covers is drop, spills and power surges. Some "drunk?" lol spills their beer and it goes all over your laptop and poof it goes up in smoke...you would get a laptop back free. Say it happens like 3 years from now and you have 3 years on the laptop and say they no longer carry that type of laptop anymore you get the band new model that is closest to what you had.

Dell has the BEST of warrenties and I cringe on anyone that goes to Best Buy or Walmart and picks up a comcrap hp computer. I also recomend add that extra $10 dollars and get the Windows install CD so that you have a windows CD along with your computer :)

I no longer work with Dell but while working for them I have learned the difference of getting what you want and need over getting something off a shelf or from someone that does not know what they are selling you.

bryant
December 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I had two dells' one was in the shop a lot, so often I had to egt another computer to run hoster. Three out of three times it needed to be returned for fre-repairs(and something they did-like leave parts out, or things unhooked). It finally went in less than two years of less than once a week usage. Other newer dell lost video card within the third week. they shipped it back and replaced something else but forgot to replace the mptherboard that contained the video card. Had to send it back. Now i use shuttle as main coputer and dell as backup.

mindonstrike
December 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
If looking at dell I would really recomend getting complete care accidental damage warrenty. I used to work for Dell and the accidental coverage it a great thing to have it you will be taking your laptop into bars or moving it around a lot. What it covers is drop, spills and power surges. Some "drunk?" lol spills their beer and it goes all over your laptop and poof it goes up in smoke...you would get a laptop back free. Say it happens like 3 years from now and you have 3 years on the laptop and say they no longer carry that type of laptop anymore you get the band new model that is closest to what you had.

Dell has the BEST of warrenties and ....Maybe I didn't have the right warranty but when I had an accident that caused 4 of the alphabet keys to pop off the keyboard, Dell wouldn't fix it AND they refused to sell me the little plastic springy things so I could try an reattach the old keys myself. I ended up spending $50. at a local repair shop.

I 'm glad you had good luck with them but I wasn't impressed.