PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Question

kedmison
November 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
I have been digital since 2002. Been ssing my laptop (Prostar from MTU) along with a Mackie system,(CFX12/450's/1500-1) I have been pleased with my sound. Lately though I have been hearing of many latop users going to an external sound card. i.e. "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, notebook PCMCIA sound card.."

My question is, will I get an even better sound with an external card; and if so, is this card a good one to go with, or this there something better suited.

Just real curious what you other Hoster users are using.

Thanks,

Kelly

Beavis
November 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
probably more options in the external sound card like EQ.

billyo
November 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
I have been digital since 2002. Been ssing my laptop (Prostar from MTU) along with a Mackie system,(CFX12/450's/1500-1) I have been pleased with my sound. Lately though I have been hearing of many latop users going to an external sound card. i.e. "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, notebook PCMCIA sound card.."

My question is, will I get an even better sound with an external card; and if so, is this card a good one to go with, or this there something better suited.

Thanks,

Kelly

i got almost the same system you have ..mackie cfx 12 and the 450's( powered ) dont have the 1500 though..but anyway ..soundcard..i used to used soundblasters extigy..if you dont mind the hums and hizz's,go for it..i had all kinds of problems with it, i ended up buying all kinds of hums and hizz elliminators.and if you dont mind having cables hanging all over..i'm just using the headphone input on my laptop to the output of my board.i bought a noise filter from radio shack..no noise, hums and hizz's

gpayne
November 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks,

Kelly

I have been using an external Extigy since the beginning. I don't use it because it is better but because I can run two outputs from my computer to my mixer. I am using a rackmount computer. I use the External Extigy for my music (BPM) and the internal card for Hoster which at this time must use the default card. I set my default sound card setting to the internal card for Hoster. The External Extigy is a USB sound card but as the previous post said has more options. They are options that I don't use such as remote control and extra cabeling options(optical, digital etc.) There are also equalizer settting etc.through the software that comes with the card. I do not use them (set them all to flat) because if you don't you can overload the input on your mixer (especially if you are inserting to an external equalizer) and will get distortion. If you are happy with your internal card and only need the one output because you run your music software and hoster software on the same sound card then don't buy one because I do not think it will make you sound better per se. I do however like having separate inputs to my mixer. Hope this helps.

gpayne

mindonstrike
November 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have been using an external Extigy since the beginning. I don't use it because it is better but because I can run two outputs from my computer to my mixer. I am using a rackmount computer. I use the External Extigy for my music (BPM) and the internal card for Hoster which at this time must use the default card. I set my default sound card setting to the internal card for Hoster. The External Extigy is a USB sound card but as the previous post said has more options. They are options that I don't use such as remote control and extra cabeling options(optical, digital etc.) There are also equalizer settting etc.through the software that comes with the card. I do not use them (set them all to flat) because if you don't you can overload the input on your mixer (especially if you are inserting to an external equalizer) and will get distortion. If you are happy with your internal card and only need the one output because you run your music software and hoster software on the same sound card then don't buy one because I do not think it will make you sound better per se. I do however like having separate inputs to my mixer. Hope this helps.

gpayneHoster uses the default soundcard but you can change the default soundcard through Windows allowing (through a round about way) you to pick and choose the card Hoster uses.

I use an external usb soundblaster card.

Sam