PDA

View Full Version : Windows won't start up - Bad hard drive and/or Windows

Rippera
October 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Ever since I updated my Hoster to the latest version... Now when I go to start up with an extended monitor plugged in my video card, windows stalls out and won't start up??? It has only happend since I updated my hoster program??? Pease help? Any one else have this problem?

Rippera

ddouglass
October 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Windows won't start or Hoster won't start?

Is the extended monitor turned on? If it is and it still won't start then try starting without it and reset your second monitor in the display settings.

admin
October 30th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Moved this to Hoster Help Forum.

Rippera
October 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yes, the monitor is on (I've been using Hoster for a long time)... How do you reset your 2nd monitor... I've always thought you had to restart your computer if your 2nd monitor was not on or connected??? Can you tell me how to reset your 2nd monitor? Also when I check the help tab to see my Hoster reg... It does not show the updated version number?

ddouglass
October 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Reset the 2nd monitor by doing the same thing you did to set it originally (right click on desktop of primary monitor, right click on second monitor, "activate" it and check to make sure it is set to extended.) Also, check your screen size and refresh rate for the second monitor to make sure they haven't changed.

Did you try to restore windows to fix the problem? If so you may have restore to point prior to last installation. You can alway reinstall the latest version of Hoster. This will not effect your kma files or your songs database.

Beavis
October 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
you might try rolling back the driver for the video card.

Rippera
October 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I did a system restore to an older date... It did not change anything... I think it is a driver issue for the external monitor... Should I try to re install Hoster? If so, should I do it buy control panel, add remove programs, ect... This will not remove my kma files right I've never had to do anything to hoster... It has always performed flawless for me since I've bought it...

thanks for your help!

Ripper

Beavis
October 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM
it wont delete your kma's when you uninstall hoster.

you should have a back up of your kma folder on another hard drive. that is the most important thing you will ever do !

when your hard drive fails (eventually it will) you will thank me for making that back up copy !!

Rippera
October 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I just bought a WD 160 and did that yesterday... Thanks! I plan to get a notebook (probably a HP from Best buy) and use the external and laptop as my main hoster and my other one as a back up... I'm looking for a notebook with at least 1 gig Ram, 80 to 100 gig HD, ATI video card, 17 inch monitor, CD - DVD burner... Any suggestions? Hopefully around 800.00 if possible...

Ripper

bobcox- with the Lord
October 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
dell 9300 ebay ( in price range)

George
October 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
You haven't said how old a version of Hoster you've been using. Could possibly be that you need to download the XP service pack updates if you've never done so..

bobcox- with the Lord
October 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
i had this problem, once it was a new sound card (sonndblaster) had to remove card and drivers.
and once with a bad key on keyboard.
both times windows would not boot.

billyo
November 2nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
i had this problem, once it was a new sound card (sonndblaster) had to remove card and drivers.
and once with a bad key on keyboard.
both times windows would not boot.

i'm having the same problem now, windows would not open " a problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' " UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT-VOLUME "..trying to re-intall windows..i keep getting an error msg.. need help bad.....please !!!

bobcox- with the Lord
November 3rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
have you installed any cards or new drivers. if so remove them and see what happens, i am told you need to do a disc repair. you will need a disc with windows xp if that is your operating system. also try pressing F10 at boot and see if you can do anything from there. Bob

mindonstrike
November 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
i'm having the same problem now, windows would not open " a problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' " UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT-VOLUME "..trying to re-intall windows..i keep getting an error msg.. need help bad.....please !!!I googled "unmountable boot volume" and got this from the Microsoft help center. Hope it helps

Sam
Unmountable Boot Volume
View products that this article applies to.
Author:Soumitra Sengupta MVP
Community Solutions Content Disclaimer
Article ID : 555302
Last Review : April 26, 2005
Revision : 1.0
SUMMARY
When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume".
Back to the top

SYMPTOMS
When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume".
Back to the top

CAUSE
1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.
2.You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
If it be the connector cable problem then replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
If it's a BIOS settings problem then load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

If it's a damaged file system case then:-
1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058

If the above process fails to restore the system then in the number#5 step use fixboot command instead of the chkdsk /r command.

billyo
November 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
have you installed any cards or new drivers. if so remove them and see what happens, i am told you need to do a disc repair. you will need a disc with windows xp if that is your operating system. also try pressing F10 at boot and see if you can do anything from there. Bob

i havent installed anything, i had hoster open, and i was trying to searched a song to play , and when i found the song i clicked on play and the cue button stayed on a bit, so i clicked on play again and my laptop frozed and a red bar went acrossed my screen, and i had to do a hard re-boot..that's when it all started..
thanks for youre adviced, i've tried that and the same problem still exist...

billyo
November 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
I googled "unmountable boot volume" and got this from the Microsoft help center. Hope it helps

Sam

i tried that too.almost all day today..still have the same problem....i kinda gave up..thanks for your help..im on my way to get a new laptop now,,so hopefully.i wont have this kind of problem again..ill just use my back-up laptop tonight got a show to do.( just got this one ( back-up ) 2 months ago..thank god ! )

admin
November 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
i havent installed anything, i had hoster open, and i was trying to searched a song to play , and when i found the song i clicked on play and the cue button stayed on a bit, so i clicked on play again and my laptop frozed and a red bar went acrossed my screen, and i had to do a hard re-boot..that's when it all started..
thanks for youre adviced, i've tried that and the same problem still exist...
If I am right, when this type of problem happens with any appication program, Windows was already damaged and the app just exercised that area or the Windows code. Microsoft goes to extreme lengths to insure Windows is robust and cannot be damaged by an application program.

It may be that your computer RAM is going bad, or has some bad bits. If you have a memory test program, I'd run it overnight and see what it reports.

billyo
November 11th, 2006, 10:20 AM
If I am right, when this type of problem happens with any appication program, Windows was already damaged and the app just exercised that area or the Windows code. Microsoft goes to extreme lengths to insure Windows is robust and cannot be damaged by an application program.

It may be that your computer RAM is going bad, or has some bad bits. If you have a memory test program, I'd run it overnight and see what it reports.

thanks for you suggestion.i had to replaced the hardrive and its working fine now..just re-installed all os and all the drivers..didnt re-install hoster yet caused im waiting on the new laptop that i ordered , still using my back-up laptop..so now i have 3 laptops i might get hoster lite for the old one ..but anyway thanks to all who tried to help..

gpayne
November 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
thanks for you suggestion.i had to replaced the hardrive and its working fine now..just re-installed all os and all the drivers..didnt re-install hoster yet caused im waiting on the new laptop that i ordered , still using my back-up laptop..so now i have 3 laptops i might get hoster lite for the old one ..but anyway thanks to all who tried to help..

I have had problems like this from time to time. What I generaly do is
re-seat the cables to my hard drives. Sometimes what is really happening is just a loose connection so windows can not find your hard drive. It comes up and says something like it can't find the operating system or no bootable drive etc. but what is really happening is it can't find the drive because of the loose connection. I have done this many times. It might have something to do with moving the computer from place to place or from being in a cold place then moving to a warm place etc. Since I stopped using my home computer for the show computer. I have not had this problem. Your original drive may not be bad. It might be that all you need do is hook it back up.

See ya

gpayne

admin
November 11th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Should I try to re install Hoster? If so, should I do it buy control panel, add remove programs, ect... This will not remove my kma files right I've never had to do anything to hoster... It has always performed flawless for me since I've bought it...
I would never use Control panel to remove Hoster. Simply run the Hoster Installation program (hoster3312setup.exe) and choose REPAIR or REMOVE. Choose Repair and it will reinstall all the program. Use REMOVE if you ever need to remove it.

Uninstalling a program can only remove what it installed. Anything created when the application runs cannot be removed by uninstalling. Specifically, your KMA files cannot be removed by uninstalling. :w

billyo
November 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I have had problems like this from time to time. What I generaly do is
re-seat the cables to my hard drives. Sometimes what is really happening is just a loose connection so windows can not find your hard drive. It comes up and says something like it can't find the operating system or no bootable drive etc. but what is really happening is it can't find the drive because of the loose connection. I have done this many times. It might have something to do with moving the computer from place to place or from being in a cold place then moving to a warm place etc. Since I stopped using my home computer for the show computer. I have not had this problem. Your original drive may not be bad. It might be that all you need do is hook it back up.

i never thought of that..but anyway my laptop is built into a case along with my board and ext. drive and my plextor drive, all i had to do is t/on the power and hooked up my speaker cables..i guessed i panicked when all these stuff started happening..and these happened once so often..if i re-seat my old drive and take out the new one do i have to re-install windows and drivers again on the new one if it the old drive doesnt worked? thanks..im in no hurry since i have a back-up ( bought it about 2 mos. ago ) which i am using till i get the other laptop i ordered supposed to be here monday nov. 13..

gpayne
November 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM
You should not have to do anything. You should be able to hook up either drive if the operating system is good on both drives. The only difference would be that the contents of the drives would not be identical. I would intall the old drive and if everything works then just reformat it and keep it for a spare since you have already intalled a new drive and reinstalled the software. If there is really nothing wrong with the original drive everything should work as it did before. I am assuming that this was the "C" drive. (The drive that had the operating system on it.(Windows).) I must admit that I thought you were talking about a desktop or tower type computer though. I did not understand that you had two laptops. My experience was with a tower type computer case.

gpayne

ddouglass
November 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I believe he would have to take the original drive to a laptop repair facility to get it reformatted, but you are correct the original should come up with no problems if it is still good as suggested here.

Rippera
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I installed the SP2 updates and it seems to be working fine now... Thank God!!! I have everything backed up on my external HD (Just the KMA files though should I back up anything else?) Not sure what the problem was but hopefully it has been fixed... I am also running a disc clean up and defrag currently... That won't hurt any thing will it?

Ripper

billyo
November 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
You should not have to do anything. You should be able to hook up either drive if the operating system is good on both drives. The only difference would be that the contents of the drives would not be identical. I would intall the old drive and if everything works then just reformat it and keep it for a spare since you have already intalled a new drive and reinstalled the software. If there is really nothing wrong with the original drive everything should work as it did before. I am assuming that this was the "C" drive. (The drive that had the operating system on it.(Windows).) I must admit that I thought you were talking about a desktop or tower type computer though. I did not understand that you had two laptops. My experience was with a tower type computer case.

gpayne

wished i could still do that..i might have tossed the old drive away..tried to look for it it's gone.it's password protected anyway so i hoped if someone else finds it in a dump site it wont be operable anymore..hopefully from the moisture..

ddouglass
November 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Billyo,
I never throw a hard drive away without at least smashing it up to make it unusable. You have no idea how much personal information can get cached on those drives! :g

George
November 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Billyo,
I never throw a hard drive away without at least smashing it up to make it unusable. You have no idea how much personal information can get cached on those drives! :g

Right on:)

All passwords do is make us feel secure by keeping our equally pc ignorant
contemporaries out of our syetem...but block a person with the savvy?

Consider for a moment how many times Microsoft with all their resources have been hacked into. If they with their millions can't be secure, I wouldn't rely too heavily on a $100.00 program, with a built in password to do the job.

Don't get me wrong I still use Norton Internet Security, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.:e

Virus and spyware protection I believe is a different story...they do work...I hope.

Just my humble take on the whole thing.

billyo
November 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Billyo,

i realized that now..i feel so ignorant but anyway its done and i cant do nothing about now..just hoping that the hardrive is unoperable anymore and went through the compactor..