PDA

View Full Version : Good but not too expensive desk top to use

bryant
October 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM
I currently have Hoster installed on one laptop and backed up on another and am seriously thinking about purchasing another copy to install on a nice "portable" desktop that can be taken to gigs. I have been listening about a lot of complaints about trusting laptops as the gig computer and am getting real nervous. Can someone let me know (guide me) what they use to carry around to gigs for their portable desktop and how much I might need to spend? And what kind of luck you have been having?

George
October 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Do you want it good or not too expensive ?

I have had excellent results for over 20 years now by passing up on any production line desktop pc's and going to a reputable pc service shop, telling them exactly what I want, and having them build it for me.

Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't buy an assembly line desktop at any price.

MHO

bryant
October 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Do you want it good or not too expensive ?

I have had excellent results for over 20 years now by passing up on any production line desktop pc's and going to a reputable pc service shop, telling them exactly what I want, and having them build it for me.

Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't buy an assembly line desktop at any price.

MHO
I see . Something really not too bulky. Sort of portable. I use a laptop now that works fine, but risky.
Anything Solid, better than a laptop, and as portable as a desktop can get. I'll pay the price. Please advise, anyone else!
Bryant

ddouglass
October 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Bryan, look at the Shuttle, Antec Aria (the one I used) or Aspire. These are all small cube shaped cases. You can either build it yourself or have someone build it for you. I built mine for around $750, but I also went overboard and used an Asus motherboard that had special monitor capabilities.

djmadmaxx
October 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I had both of my rackmount work PC's built locally over 3 years ago. They cost less than most other rackmounts for sale and have twice the specs

lmcmains
October 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
I agree with Dale. I have two Shuttle computers that I built myself. They have been real dependable.

goonie227
October 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I bought mine from MTU I love it.

bryant
October 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
I bought mine from MTU I love it.

I haven't experienced any MTU software problems at all on either of my laptops, although I see a lot of things crop up here on the forum with even the MTU computer.
Has yours worked perfectly with the software?

admin
October 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
If you want the ultimate in safety, the MTU Ruggedized Laptop (http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-laptop-4.htm) with Magnesium metal case is the way to go.

These items are shock mounted; display, Hard drive, keyboard sealed, touch pad sealed. It is Mil Spec as to drop testing and vibration testing. It is designed for reliable, portable use.

As to the problems reported with Hoster (on any computer), I believe these are due to Hoster 3.310/3.311 not working as well with Plexor drives with hardware error correction built in. We shifted to a new vendor's code to interface to MANY CD/DVD drives, and they misrepresented their software. It doesn't properly handle drives with hardware error correction. We are now working on Hoster 3.312 to fix this, expected to release during October.

We used to sell a Shuttle based "Portable PC". However, working with the factory was a major pain. We buffered our customers from problems, but we had a LOT of problems getting reliable product we could ship. :f