PDA

View Full Version : static noise with new laptop

NATHAN
July 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Hi ,just bought a new laptop with the ati express 200 chipset but i am getting alot of static buzzing when pluged into my mixer. Is there a way of getting rid of the static buzzing noise??

thanks nath.:?

billyo
July 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
is your laptop plugged into a soundcard. or directly from laptop to the board,? i used to have mine plugged into a soundcard and a hum elliminator (ebtech), i still get the buzzing sound, i just went to radio shack, and bought myself a ground loop elliminator for $16.00 and plugged my laptop into that and to my mixing board and the buzzing went away, dont even used my soundcard anymore

MTUSUPPORT
July 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Get a Ground lifting Plug from Home Depot, Radio Shack, Lowes or any other store such as that. It will take care of the noise.

This is a plug that takes the 3 prong laptop plug and turns it into a 2 prong wall plug.

admin
July 31st, 2006, 06:43 AM
MTUSUPPORT's suggestion is the easiest fix.

The problem is there is a "ground loop" in the wiring between your amplifier and your laptop. The ground wire between all your devices and the building ground (typically at the power box) is too small for audio. All the devices in the building are "talking" over the ground. If you always do shows in this building, you may want to do what audio studios do; get a THICK braded ground wire (Monster Cable is the best) and run it from your power strip back to the ground somewhere, if not the power box.

Also be sure you plug both the amp and laptop into the same power strip. This will reduce any voltage difference between the two grounds, that can cause problems between two devices (amp and sound card) hard wired together.

NATHAN
July 31st, 2006, 07:09 AM
Hi ,thanks for your replies ,the ground loop isolater solved the problem.

thanks nath.

bigdsounds
September 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
ground loop isolater is the bomb, works great:) no static or humm just music. don't let radioshack sell you a data line filter that clips around the cord it did not work. The ground loop isolater fits inline.