PDA

View Full Version : MTU and video files

eben333
July 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Hello. I have searched this forum and I didn't quite find what I was looking for and I am hoping someone can provide some assistance. I have full Hoster program I have registered and is working well. I ripped most of my CD+G discs and they are good to go. However, I am having problems with my DVD discs.

First of all, here is what I have done. I had a large collection of LD Karaoke discs from the past. I have used DVD burner unit with HD and converted those into DVDs. They play fine on my Karaoke players do I know the files are good.

I look at the Hoster and didn't see any method of ripping DVD content directly so I used one of shareware program to try to convert them to various formats and try to import them in to Hoster and I am having some issues. I have tried 2 different .vob format, 2 different .mpg formats and 2 different .avi formats and none of them worked. Different formats were different codec used. For some formats, I can hear the audio but no video was showing.

So, I have a few questions. First, I noticed that when the video is playing, it's playing in a small window in my first desktop. The CD+Gs does play in my second desktop no problem. I couldn't move that window but was able to resize it. Is there a trick to moving that window to my second desktop?

Is there is prefer format and codec used for the video play back? Do you have any recommendations on what software to use to rip the DVDs in to those formats?

Thanks much in advance.

eben333
July 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, I did some more experiment and I am still having major issues with video files. I am using version 3.310 and last week or so, I downloaded a bunch of DVD ripping software and found one that does a good job of ripping to VCD/SVCD file. I did a test run of ripping one song using SVCD (MPEG-2 codec) file. It did a good job and was able to see the file within the Hoster.

When I hit the video button and select the file, it starts to play in the desktop where my application is running. I figured out that by stretching the window to the display desktop where it should be and fitting it in to that window, it does not play any video portion. The audio will continue. When I straddle the window between two desktops, the desktop where the application is running shows the video, the other half, blank.

Can you assist me what to do next? I have about 25 DVDs I need to rip to use for my gigs. Thanks much in advance.

admin
July 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
To set up your video window, read the manual. See the Table of Contents > Second Column > Display Windows > Video Display Window.

You might get some ideas from:
http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?p=34736&highlight=move+video+window#post34736

This is from another Post from Mindonstrike: "Play a KMA file (using a video won't work for this part) and move your mouse to the TV and double click to bring the screen back to your computer.

Once it is playing on your computer grab the corners and stretch it to as full of a screen as you can get. Now grab it with your mouse and slide it back to the TV. Make any last minute stretching once it is there. Now double click the screen again, which will make your resized screen full screen.

Now when you play KMA's it will be full screen and when you play video's they will be on the resized screen."

eben333
July 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the helpful hints but my problems are beyond that. I was able to move the screen over, I didn't know about the double click so I will try that.

First, the screen for the CD+G playback works fine. Everything about the CD+G is ok. I am able to play everything on singer's screen. However, the video does not play on the singers screen. BTW, the CD+G window has always been on the singers screen this entire time. It's when I play video, it won't let me grab and move. I had to stretch it to other screen and adjust the size to fit it.

My problem is the video that plays on the control desktop side is not playing on the singer desktop side. Again, the CD+G works fine but video does not. When I stretch the window to cover both desktops, half of the video (on the control side) shows but blank on the singer display side.

Any hints?

ddouglass
July 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the helpful hints but my problems are beyond that. I was able to move the screen over, I didn't know about the double click so I will try that.

First, the screen for the CD+G playback works fine. Everything about the CD+G is ok. I am able to play everything on singer's screen. However, the video does not play on the singers screen. BTW, the CD+G window has always been on the singers screen this entire time. It's when I play video, it won't let me grab and move. I had to stretch it to other screen and adjust the size to fit it.

My problem is the video that plays on the control desktop side is not playing on the singer desktop side. Again, the CD+G works fine but video does not. When I stretch the window to cover both desktops, half of the video (on the control side) shows but blank on the singer display side.

Any hints?
You should be stretching the video screen to full size on the computer screen only. Then click and hold at the top and drag the screen over to the singers display side. If you leave it stretched across both only on side will show.

eben333
July 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Dale but I did the stetch of the screen to see if the video was still playing. When I stretch the video window over the two screen, half shown on the computer screen plays the video but the half on the singer screen shows blank light blue and no video. If I pull the video window complete to the singer side, I get nothing but light blue screen and no video. If I pull the video window to the computer screen, video shows up.

I really need to solve this since I have finished ripping all my CD+G discs and all that's left are DVD discs.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

eben333
July 24th, 2006, 04:39 PM
One more thing interesting. One and only CD+G disc that I could not rip was Sound Choice custom disc I purchased from them. When I try to rip it, it gave me drive is not ready error. However, I was able to rip them in .bin files using another program and was able to transfer from Hoster. I thought it was interesting.

eben333
July 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Sorry to bump this thing but anyone have any idea how I can get the video back on the singer screen using Hoster? I would appreciate any help since I am on hold until I get my DVD conversion done. Thanks.

totis
August 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I have the same problem with my back-up PC. I tried several options but could never show my videos on the singer screen.
Then I realized it does "play" other video format but mpeg files (someone told me some windows video codec were missing).
I did some research and tried lots of possible solutions (video & driver updates, etc) unsuccessfully.
So I started to re-endering some of my video files to windows media file (.wmv). They play fine but I’m still not happy with all this.
I think I’ll re-install all windows from start...

eben333
August 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Totis, I finally end up doing a lot of experiment on my own, read wasted time, and found one solution that worked. Try ripping it to AVI file with DivX codec. That worked fine. That was the only combination of file format and codec that worked for me. I used ImTOO DVD Ripper to rip each track separately and it works now.