PDA

View Full Version : Drives recognized or not

Garry A. Leslie
July 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hey All,
Not a complaint only an observation.
I had Hoster 3310 installed and working fine, with my Plextor 760A
Then warning "Your Hard Drive is about to fail, back up and replace"
As George always warns us we only think about backing up when it's too late.
Anyway I installed a new hard drive, lucky enough to actually get everything off the old one, before it gasped it's last.
Hoster first gave me the message " No DVD/CD drives found"
I downloaded Hoster again, this time it recognized the 760 but said it wasn't karaoke compatible.
Switched on today and everything is working perfectedly.
Just wondered how this came about, because I didn't fix it?
Regards from across the pond.
Garry

ddouglass
July 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Magic :g :g

eben333
July 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Garry, I had a similar problem and it works now. Here is what went down. I had built a brand new machine from scratch, installed Windows XP, then a few of my favorite programs, like DVD burning software, Winamp, Ashampoo CD copier etc.

Once I installed Hoster full version, which was the last item I installed, all of sudden my Plextor 760A is no where to be found. Same error, No DVD/CD drives found. I tried everything I knew, including downloading 3 different versions of ASPI drivers and installing them. None of them worked.

I reformatted the drive and did a fresh install of OS and software and did the exact same thing and same result. After installed the Hoster, DVD burner was offline. I checked the hardware monitor and it said it had problems with drivers. I reinstalled all the ASPI drives, fudged around with registry and nothing worked.

So, instead of doing it all over again, I started to reinstall other software after that, including Winamp, Ashampoo, etc. and bam it worked. I have no idea why it started to work. Only thing I can suspect is that the Hoster corrupted the ASPI driver with it's own and when I reinstall the othe software, somehow it installed the right ASPI driver after.

Right now it's working so I am not touching it. However, it was an interesting and perplexing problem to solve.

Garry A. Leslie
July 18th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Eben333,
As ddouglass says "If it ain't broke fix it till it is"
Well it was broke and I didn't fix it till it wasn't
I think that makes about as much sense as I could out of why these things happen.
Just keeping my fingers crossed.
I thought I knew a bit about computers, but every day something happens to prove I don't
Regards from across the pond.
Garry

rolandcorral
January 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
similar problem - starting new thread