PDA

View Full Version : Normalizing Songs

brokensilence
June 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Do Songs Normalize When Transfering From The Hard Drive Of Another Computer Or Just From Loading Them In From The Cd Rom, If So Where Do You Go To Normalize Them........sandy

ddouglass
June 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Sandy, the normalize was on the import screen. However it has been broke and not working correctly for a long time (several updates). I said "was" because for version 3.310 it was removed as no one has really complained or even used it that much.

admin
June 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Changes we made in the Import CD Tracks screen prevented Comp/Lim/Normalize from working any longer.

We have a project scheduled to turn this function into a BATCH processor you can run on all KMA files in a list of Folders. That way, your importing is faster, and any KMA files on your hard drive can be changed any time, not just when recorded.

BATCH processors automatically go from file to file, allowing you to go do something else while it does it thing. I don't have a release date yet, but it will be 3-4 months I expect.

ddouglass
June 16th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I like that idea. I am constantly having to adjust music volume because the producers don't set any levels.

MimiLee
July 1st, 2006, 11:59 PM
I agree-the normalization feature would be welcomed!

brokensilence
January 17th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Changes we made in the Import CD Tracks screen prevented Comp/Lim/Normalize from working any longer.

We have a project scheduled to turn this function into a BATCH processor you can run on all KMA files in a list of Folders. That way, your importing is faster, and any KMA files on your hard drive can be changed any time, not just when recorded.

BATCH processors automatically go from file to file, allowing you to go do something else while it does it thing. I don't have a release date yet, but it will be 3-4 months I expect.

could you please tell me if the batch processor has been fixed and available.sandy

gduns - with the Lord
January 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
This thread is almost a year old, I think they scraped the idea for safety reasons.

bryant
January 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Also, I recall there was some concern about making sure not to normalize them twice or the files would be destroyed somehow. Has that been worked around, or is that still an issue for the future?

gduns - with the Lord
January 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Also, I recall there was some concern about making sure not to normalize them twice or the files would be destroyed somehow. Has that been worked around, or is that still an issue for the future?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

That was the safety reasons for killing it.

admin
January 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
That was the safety reasons for killing it.
Gduns is correct. Post-processing imported songs is dangerous, and I assure you if we provided it, many of you would do it and then have to re-import from the Discs again. :e

We're working on another way, but won't say more now as there is still critical research to be done yet that can allow or scrap it being done. :s

Wallymeister
January 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Many years ago I had a AM/FM CD stereo receiver that had normalize built into it. Just push a button and all CD's and even radio stations played would be brought to a common level on the fly. This was 10 plus years ago. I think it was a Pioneer, if I remember right.

Why this was something that didn't catch on I don't know but,

I'm just saying........:g

gduns - with the Lord
January 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Ever wonder why they dont make a mixer with an automatic gain control on it? (normalizer)

It isnt hard to bring all audio up to a certain level, :g But if the audio level is extremly high, cliping is the only way to bring it down and that sounds bad. :m :e so they waould rather have quality over convienence.:t :g

Wallymeister
January 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
What do you do if the volume is louder than you wanted it when you change the station on your radio. You manually turn down the volume. Is that clipping. I don't think so. In this modern age of technology, why can't we automatically do that. If I remember right, that is what the Pioneer unit did. It detected that the level that I set the volume is this and would now lower or raise everything from that by manually turning the volume knob. My memory is a little vague now but I remember thinking at the time it was a pretty cool feature.

Of course that would only happen when I push the Volume leveling button.

Again, I'm just saying....... :g

horseshoe
January 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for bringing back a good memory. I had one too, about 15 years ago. It would automatically turn the volume knob. It was fun to watch it change as I changed stations.

gduns - with the Lord
January 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
What do you do if the volume is louder than you wanted it when you change the station on your radio. You manually turn down the volume. Is that clipping. I don't think so. In this modern age of technology, why can't we automatically do that. If I remember right, that is what the Pioneer unit did. It detected that the level that I set the volume is this and would now lower or raise everything from that by manually turning the volume knob. My memory is a little vague now but I remember thinking at the time it was a pretty cool feature.

Of course that would only happen when I push the Volume leveling button.

Again, I'm just saying....... :g

I used to have a recorder with automatic level control, and it really sounded like crap. But that was 20 years ago, and they have progressed over the years. But you cant necessarily do anything with software you can do with electronic software.

admin
January 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
First, all you are remembering an ANALOG system as to the leveling control. It's a piece of cake to do a quality job of this in analog circuitry for peanuts cost.

Second, to do this at HIGH QUALITY in DIGITAL is another story. It requires both AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and Compression Limiting to make this work right.

THIRD... we are looking at enhancing Hoster to do llive effects. IF... and I do mean IF... we accomplish this without spending tens of thousands of $$$, we'll consider adding it. Then, we could add what you are talking about. However, will it work with Keychnage? Or recording and mixing? Or vocal reduction? Probably not unless you have a 3GHz processor with 2GB RAM, and maybe not even then.

Live effects is a very complex issue... especially on a $199 product! :e :r

As Forest Gump said; "That's all I gotta say about that." :t

Skybird74
February 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
What does Magnavox use on their TVs to keep the volume level when the commercials come on or when changing channels. Even the Magnavox we just bought last year has this feature. Can Hoster use that technology?

ddouglass
February 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM
What does Magnavox use on their TVs to keep the volume level when the commercials come on or when changing channels. Even the Magnavox we just bought last year has this feature. Can Hoster use that technology?
Magnavox and others use a hardware limiter circuit not software so no it isn't possible. There are amplifiers with limiters built in.

admin
February 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
So far, the direction we were researching generates a 300ms delay for any effects. We're not happy with that. We have a LOT of features in Hoster 4.0 that are far easier (even more complex ones like Singers Database and Rotation Control) to implement so they are acceptable and useable.

ddouglass
February 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
So far, the direction we were researching generates a 300ms delay for any effects. We're not happy with that. We have a LOT of features in Hoster 4.0 that are far easier (even more complex ones like Singers Database and Rotation Control) to implement so they are acceptable and useable.
Could that delay be at the beginning, in other words you would have to apply the effect before starting the song or it won't work (disabled)?

bobcox- with the Lord
February 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM

WOW, Great Idea.
i like it.:g

admin
February 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
WOW, Great Idea.
i like it.:g
Bob, where you been? This "proposal" was killed a long time ago. :r

You're supposed to be beta testing Microstudio 4.000 Beta 3 now... :c
This thread is almost a year old, I think they scraped the idea for safety reasons.
See...
And this was the reason I gave in the Beta forums which you are a member of! :? :w
Gduns is correct. Post-processing imported songs is dangerous, and I assure you if we provided it, many of you would do it and then have to re-import from the Discs again. :e

We're working on another way, but won't say more now as there is still critical research to be done yet that can allow or scrap it being done. :s
This was my answer...
And this is our current state. Dale D asked if this was a "startup delay". It could be, but the reason we were looking at Direct Sound for the effects platform is for other reasons which need a "zero delay". We're not willing to invest in this just to get Microsoft's Comp/Lim added in with a 350ms delay. :r :f

Sorry... I can see some of you want this, and I realized years ago about its desirability, but the implementation is not without our sight at this time. We understand the desire, just can't justify the expense at this time. :s