PDA

View Full Version : Big books

kJ Joe
May 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have over 35000 songs and as you know it takes a big book to hold this.Atleast once or twice a week someone drops one and song pages go eveywhere:e .I've tryed every binder i can find and still can't find one that will hold up.
How do you do it?????????????

swany
May 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Go to your favorite Radio Shack and buy some small shrink tubing and put some on the two outside rings. Only takes a moment and around a 3/8th inch piece to secure most binders, with 35,000 songs you may want to goe around and inch per ring. It's easy to remove with a razor knife, and cheap to reinstall.

I've only around 10,000 songs and had the same problem.

bryant
May 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Almost every week I purchase songs. I'm wondering about cutting out these shrink-wraps with razor knives 12 times a week. Seems laborious. No.

ddouglass
May 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Shrink tubing isn't that expensive Bryan that is if you have an electronics supply store other than Radio Shack (over priced). It is also easy to cut since it is a flexible plastic.

My thought (haven't tried it yet) would be to use a piece about a half inch short of the entire length of the loop and not "shrink" it so tight against the ring that it won't move. That way you would still be able to open the ring (and this may happen when dropped), but the sheets won't come out until you pull it off one side. Then after you have made the changes slip it back on the second side and be ready to go.

Swany, does the shrink tubing interfere with turning the pages any?

bryant
May 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I'm asking the same question, what about interference

I have noticed.

George
May 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
WILSON JONES manufactures three ring binders that the "tabs" at the ends have three positions, closed, an unlock, and an open. When they are in the full closed position you cannot even get the rings to open by pulling on the rings themselves, as you can with most binders.

You might want to buy one and toss it around to test it for your needs. I just got through deliberately throwing a full one on the floor and it did not open.

I bought them at Office Depot, but they're probably available most anywhere.
You can tell them because the tabs at the ends have two positions other than closed, one that seems to be an unlock, and one that opens the rings.

Hope this works for you guys....dunno.

George

swany
May 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Swany, does the shrink tubing interfere with turning the pages any? No, I had some early failures due to getting the wrong size tubing, I'm using some small black tubing I got at Harbor Frieght and it seems to do the job well. I too get a lot of new songs per month and it is a pain keeping up with it all. George seems to have a better answer, I need to look into them binders. One other thing, far as tearing down the books for adding pages, it's not a big deal but here's a tip for avoiding it, get two small binders and put your newest in them make them known to your singers ask to pass it around to others. I always keep a book for myself at my work station with no shrink tubing but all my add ons in it also.

WDEWDAD7
May 19th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I went to a karaoke show once where the host....ran two bolts through the the sheets, then washers and nuts, ( Locking washers ) then put rubber feet/tips on and said...." ***** 'em " ! said he was there to run karaoke, not support the binder store

pelletmon
May 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM
What works great for me is to solder the 2 outside rings but before i do.I put 6 or 7 emty doc. holders after the last page so i dont have to unsolder every time i want to add on more songs.I've found that if your good with a soldering gun (i dont think an iron would work well though i've never tried it) and you use a little soldering paste,you can open and close the binders many times over at almost 0 cost,and i've never had one come apart at the gig.P.S. and the pages flip effertlessly.

spud9000
May 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I use Three hole punch paper for the books and then get the three hole punch covers at the office depot. Then put the books together with plastic zip ties tighten them up with a pair of side cutters, then cut off excess the large end of the tie will hide in the hole. This presses all the pages together tight I have not had a book come apart in over 5 years. Also be sure to print the books with waterproof ink, the covers I have have lasted for over five years. PS use two zip ties (usually 11" or bigger) on the book both go through center hole then out to outer hole

Scoob7809
June 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hi All,

Do an internet search for "Post" Binders.. they are made using straight posts that thread together. The pages will turn just like being in a regular book spine. The posts can be unscrewed when you like, and more pages added.

If you have a more "permanent" book (re-printed maybe once a year, or two, three, etc) then you can also cut the page height 1/2" smaller and use a heat sealer on the page sleeves to prevent any liquid from getting inside.

Purchasing a heat sealer is a much cheaper (although more labor intensive) than re-printing everything with waterproof ink.

I am also working on an idea for a binder retrofit that will eliminate this problem for good.

Food for thought,

Scoob

WDEWDAD7
June 4th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Napa Auto, and most auto parts stores, also have the shrink tubing; if that is the way you are going to go. I used it for my cd binders when I was still using discs.