PDA

View Full Version : Using .cdg and .bin files (what are they?)

kjguy
August 13th, 2001, 08:32 PM
First of all, let me say that I am very impressed, so far, with the new Microstudio and KHP software. They are easy to use and produce a pretty good final product. This brings me to my question. I often mix my own songs and text and complete, unchanged songs ripped from a CD+G disc. When you "rip" a song from a CD+G disk it has the .bin extension and when you "rip" a song from an audio cd, or import only the audio portion of a CD+G song, it has a .wav extension. When writing both of these file types to the same disk I get and error message:

Error: Invalid CUE SHEET command at line xx
Previous file is not a multiple of the specified block size

*note: the xx varies depending on which songs in my project list are the .bin files.

Can I rename the .bin files so that they have a .cdg extension or is there something else that needs to be done. I can use CDRwin to write the disk and I don't need to rename any files. It writes both .cdg and .bin to the same disk. I am curious as to what others are doing about this. Thanks for any help you can provide on this. I didn't see anything on it in the manual. It only deals with "de-vocalized" .wav files and adding your own lyrics and then writing those to a CD.

Steve K.

admin
August 14th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Steve, if you only use Microstudio for ripping, this problem does not occur. CDRWIN uses the .bin (binary) extension, MTU uses the .cdg (karaoke) extension because our focus is karaoke, not general CD technologies. I suggest you only use Microstudio. If you use CDRWIN to rip karaoke songs, then rename their .bin file to .cdg and it will work with Microstudio.

We don't discuss the use of non-MTU programs in our manual, which is why you did not find it. The LARGE majority of our clients only use our programs, which makes their life easy. We bury the technology for our clients and only require them to "learn" how to use - not the techy theory behind everything.

If I read your post correctly, you are trying to combine .cdg (or .bin) files and .wav files on the same CD disc. That is not allowed. The files must be of the same type. .cdg/.bin files include the .wav file audio with the RW codes added which store the karaoke lyrics/graphics data. A .wav file does not have this data. The two files have different CD disc formats that cannot be combined.

If you want to record a .wav file onto a karaoke disc, bring it into Karaoke Home Producer, put a period on the screen (you may not even need to do this, but I have not tested it), click the Place Lyrics button, play all the way through the song and tap the space bar at the end of the song to place the period (yes, it will turn color). Then click the Make My Song button. This will write the file out as a .cdg file. Then, add this in your CDG project in the Custom Assembly Tab of Microstudio and write them all to the CDG disc. :w

kjguy
August 15th, 2001, 12:10 AM
Dear Admin,

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to put .cdg files and .bin files on the same cd. (not .wav files) . I already had some existing .bin files that I had "ripped" before I got Microstudio. I was having trouble writing the 2 formats to the same disk and was wondering if all I had to do was rename the .bin to .cdg . I have had no problem when I "rip" using Microstudio for everything. It is working like a charm. I did some playing around and figured out that you could, indeed, simply rename the .bin to .cdg!
As far as putting a .wav file on cd using Microstudio, you indicated that you could just put a period on the lyric screen and then place the "lyrics". You can use a space too! You don't even need to add the two blank lines at the end because you are not concerned about the "sweep" in a situation like this.
Anyway, thanks for your help. I need to work on being a little clearer in my requests for help. Sorry about that.

Steve K.
kjguy

Brian Corr
August 15th, 2001, 02:33 AM
Just change the file extension from bin to cdg and it will work in Microstudio.