PDA

View Full Version : Copied KMA Files Error on Play

ddouglass
November 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I have seen several cases listed in this forum where you guys have imported CD+Gs with one computer/Hoster and copied them to another drive or computer, rebuilt the database and everything works fine.

I tried that this last week and copied them to my show computer. Every song shows error when I try to play them. I didn't copy these across a network connection, but used Roxio to burn them (as data files) on to CDs. It took 2 CDs and Roxio did the splitting and included a mini-program to restore them to the new location.

Anybody else had this problem or have a solution. I am going to try copying them manually splitting the group of files without Roxio doing the split tomorrow.

Beavis
November 7th, 2005, 05:57 AM
i would try and copy a few songs through a network and then rebuild the database. see if its roxio causing the problems.

mindonstrike
November 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Curious as to why (and how) you are splitting KMA files.
If I had to guess I'd say splitting and rejoining them is messing up the header so hoster can't read them.
If you are going to be moving a lot of files you should invest in a small usb drive. I use a 256mb drive and can move about 50 files at a time. I've seen some 2gb drives lately that run about $100.
Faster, easier and in the long run, cheaper than burning to cdr's

Sam

nreel
November 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM
When data is burned to a CD, the ARCHIVE Bit gets changed to READ-ONLY.

Open MY COMPUTER, navigate to the FOLDER where your KMAs are stored, "SELECT ALL" KMAs, Right Click on the selected KMAs, and Click PROPERTIES in the Drop Down Box.

When the PROPERTIES Window comes up, see if the READ-ONLY Box is CHECKED. If it is, Clcik the READ-ONLY check box to UNCHECK it and Click OK.

Now, see if Hoster Plays the KMAs.

It is OK to use CDs to permanently store/backup your KMAs.

But, in this case, you would save yourself a lot of grief by investing in an External HD to Transfer your KMAs.

A IOMEGA 160 Gig External HD costs about $115.
http://www.iomega.com/direct/products/detail.jsp;IomegaProdComSession=Dv25QLM2Wfri9ux941kuWzInna53wLtWwoJe9G7NKCrZ9mPsMip1!1734577037!-1817048988!7005!7002!2087964647!-1817048987!7005!7002?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=20125143&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=27290763&bmUID=1131363897930

ddouglass
November 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
:f Beavis - no can do as computers are currently 200 miles apart (long story) and not going to be able to bring it back anytime soon.

:c mindonstrike - If the amount of data you are burning to cd is greater than a single CD can hold, then Roxio has the capability of dividing the data up for you to fit on multiple CDs. As I understand it, Roxio doesn't split the individual files, but determines the next file won't fit and asks for a second or successive CD. I don't know if Roxio applies some compression or not but I wouldn't think so.

:e As far as going out and buying an external device, be it hard drive or USB drive, I can burn CDs at roughly 10 cents apiece all day and not spend that kind of money.:e

:g nreel - I really was hoping you were right about the Read Only, however it appears that Roxio must set the attributes to whatever they were previously. I had my wife check and none of the files I transferred were set to read only.

As I said in my first post, I am in the process of burning just enough files to fill one CD at a time, so Roxio doesn't mess them up. I won't know if this works until the end of the week, when I head to Houston.:?

Beavis
November 7th, 2005, 07:07 PM
try drag and drop to DVD.

dont use roxio!~