PDA

View Full Version : USB video out????

Jonny Vegas
July 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Looking for a solution. I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 without any sort of video output. has anyone succesfully used a (insert company name) USB video output device with any success??
I'd like to load everything on the laptop instead of my desktop if possible for obvious reasons.

Thanks

lirics
July 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
The problem you possibly will run into is that you dont just
need just a video out, you need a 2nd output device
(ie: so you can extend your desktop)

when using laptops for hosting you want the ability to
display windows on various outputs, not just
a clone of the desktop , this will give you the ability
to setup for the next singer etc... while someone is singing.

good luck

Louieoke
August 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Does anyone out there have info on a laptop solution to run multi screens with the singers screen only containing the lyrics? If not, what is the cheapest way to get multi screen functionality even if the 2nd screen is the same as yours??? Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated!

Louieoke

lirics
August 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM
what laptop are you using, most newer laptops have a video-out
(VGA) and you can convert this to RCA with a scan convertor,
depending on your laptop this will either give you a dual screen
(where your OS will let you strecth the desktop across both screens)
or a copy of your main screen.

..also there are EXTernal USB video devices available, I have'nt
tried these so I'm not sure how they work in regard to either
copying the screen or actually giveing you a 2nd output.

good luck
let us know what solution you take

lirics
August 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM
A quick google on USB VIDEO DEVICES turn up this ino:

Product Features
Extending your desktop has never been easier with the Port Authority2 USB 2.0 to XGA Adapter! Install the included software, plug in the adapter, and you are on your way to dual monitor computing. Now you can easily expand spreadsheets over two monitors, read e-mail on one monitor and view the attachment on the other, make multi-screen presentations without a second computer, or expand your graphics workstation.

The USB 2.0 to XGA Adapter is perfect for laptop users who don’t have the capability of adding an extra video card. It is also a cost-effective solution for desktop users who don’t want the hassles of installing an internal video card. USB 2.0 technology allows you to use this device with numerous computers versus an internal card that can only be used with one. Since this adapter is bus-powered, no additional power cables are needed. Whether you want to use the Port Authority2 USB 2.0 to XGA Adapter with your laptop or with your desktop, you’ll enjoy the ease of use and quality of picture this device delivers.

... Seems like this will do what people without a video port on their
laptop need, it will run you about 99., say it works with 98, ME, & XP

Rippera
September 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Seems that would open a huge variety of laptops then to use... Does anyone use it and does it work well??? I would buy it...

Ripper

Heatline
September 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Make sure you have USB 2 and not V1.1 it will not work

Rippera
September 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
So will that work for Hoster with USB 2???

jacks763
September 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
The problem you possibly will run into is that you dont just
need just a video out, you need a 2nd output device
(ie: so you can extend your desktop)

when using laptops for hosting you want the ability to
display windows on various outputs, not just
a clone of the desktop , this will give you the ability
to setup for the next singer etc... while someone is singing.

good luckYou sound like someone who may be able to help me.
I am able to send lyrics to a second monitor but without the singer's names. Any suggestions?

Heatline
September 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM
DESCRIPTION : Sitecom USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter

This USB 2.0 to VGA adapter enables
you to very easily connect an extra
monitor to any computer with a USB
port. That could be an extra monitor
for your desktop PC but even if you
are using a notebook the USB 2.0 to
VGA adapter enables you to enjoy the
convenience of an extra monitor via
USB at any location.

this allows you to stretch an image
across TWO SCREENS

I Emailed sitcom and they said only work with USB 2
This product is in Uk but I think its the same as yours

Rmeszaros
September 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM
I use the PC to Video conversoin cable by Grandtec (model GEZ-1000 available on E-bay) for my Compaq M-700 notebook computer. It uses the standard 15-pin vga video out port on my pc and converts the signal to NTSC Video Out (RCA Plug) I use a 1/8 mini-plug to RCA output for the L/R sound from the headphone port on my PC to a Mixer for the sound :) .

Hope this helps

BooBoo
September 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I am guessing that the USB device is a VGA adaptor, designed to plug in to a VGA monitor... You would also need the VGA to NTSC converter if you wanted to use a TV as a monitor or send the signal to a house overhead.

The USB device would bo good for supplying two screens.. The VGA converter would also be required if you want to use a TV.

That is the good thing about having a laptop with NTSC out, like my Dell.. I can have a VGA screen for my use and the graphics show on the TV screens as the second monitor.
I would suggest looking for a laptop with that feature built in..

MTUSUPPORT
September 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM
As BooBoo Stated, you would still need something to convert it so you are probably looking at like another $150 or so for this converter.

There is a company that is planning on making one that has a VGA and an SVIDEO output on it, I have the company somwhere, but it was in the work a few months back. Not sure if it has been made and actually works or not though.

jacks763
September 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I am using adaptors that I bought at Radio Shack for both my audio and video.
On the audio, on the plug end, it has an ear phone size (male) plug but it adapts to the RCA, red and white, left and right, (female plug ins). From there, I go with a RCA to 1\4 cord to my mixing board.
On the video, I use a vga adaptor that I just keep ying off of. It supports six different monitors. I only paid a couple dollars each for these adaptors.

danny_g
September 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
if you can find one the Margi Display to is a pcmia card that has a dongle that has rca outs for video and audio. You might be able to find it on ebay. Unfortunately I believe that the newest operation system it works on is 2000 pro. drivers might work with sp4. Not completely sure as I haven't tried it out.

tjlab
September 30th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I have a dell insprion 1100. With the items below I am able to dual display.

Radio shack "PC to Video Component" ($90)
Sound Blaster Audigy2 for notebooks ($99)