PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 and ASPI

Beagle
June 22nd, 2001, 08:14 PM
I have downloaded and installed v2.310 in Windows 2000.
I have also installed ASPI and a SCSI card driver even though I do not have one. I still get the error:

Error - Unable to initialize the ASPI Manager
ASPI Manager was not found on system

Is there anyway around this problem if you do not have a UDMA 100 controller or a SCSI card. I have read and performed everything that I could find written in the forum, but to no avail.

Please Help!!!!!!!

Beagle
PS. When I run the ASPI Checker, it shows that there are problems. It can't find any devices installed. That does make sense since I do not have any.

My config is:
AMD K6-2 450
256MB Ram
DirectX 8.0
16x10x40 CD-RW
20.5GB HD

admin
June 24th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Try selecting a different SCSI driver than the one you have selected.

Beagle
June 24th, 2001, 11:25 PM
I have tried everyone that is listed for adaptec.

GordonF
June 29th, 2001, 10:59 AM
I remember posting this a while back and it worked on my brother's machine with which I installed WinDVD. This was a Win2K SP1 machine.

When you install that or any DVD player that uses ASPI to talk to DVD drives (including ATAPI ones), it will install (usually) an Adaptec version of the ASPI layer. Using ASPICHK.EXE should reveal what version and that it's operating properly.

Uninstalling WinDVD seems to leave the ASPI layer in tact. Neat, huh?

Alternately, use something that can extract ASPIINST.EXE from the download and try running that by itself.

Beagle
June 29th, 2001, 06:15 PM
The ASPI driver that I installed was from winDVD. I have attached the txt file that ASPICHK.EXE reports. It states that the driver is installed and working properly, however no suporting hardware can be found.

I am hoping that MTU will come up with a fix for this. When I spoke with Doug Cox, he stated that they were in the process of putting together a none SCSI/UDMA machine so that they could investigate this problem. That was 3 weeks ago. I have yet to see anything as a result.

I really like the software package. It works great when I have it on my other machine. However it seems to cause some problems with the games that I have loaded so I cannot leave it installed. Not sure why or which games exactly. I just know that everything works when Microstudio is not loaded and doesn't when it is. I have put together a machine just for Disk copying and would like to get it working.

MTU: Please respond! I really would like to get this to work.

admin
June 30th, 2001, 10:51 AM
We don't have an immediate answer. We are not familiar with the winDVD ASPI. Where did you get this from so we can download it and do some testing?

Beagle
June 30th, 2001, 03:19 PM
It is the same driver that adaptec has. The only difference is, is that it does not look for supporting adaptec harware.

If you download winDVD and open it with WinZip. You can extract the ASPI driver and then you will not have to install all the software.