PDA

View Full Version : When You Move......

Digital Party
February 22nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
Howdy,

When you move......how do you establish yourself in the new town/state...and so on.....

Send out fliers.....

Do some "free" shows.....

Get listed in the Phone book as soon as possible......

Start in Bars or go with Private Parties only........

I just moved and I have gone to local establishments and passed out cards and references. No calls yet.....I'm ready to go out and do some "free stuff" just to get people to see me and what my DJ/KJ business can do.

I think there are alot of low quality shows in the area (South Central Valley, CA.). There are also good shows. I have been to many of the first kind. No telling what price they get a night. I had been a KJ/DJ for 8 years in another state. I am not going to go into a place unless the pay is good. I will not do a 4 hour show for $50.00 (One guy gets paid this:f )......Nope....just can't do it. Am I wrong for thinking this way?? Should I rethink it??

Your Thoughts On This?????

Chris
AWare Entertainment

Digital Party
February 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Wow..I thought this was a good topic. Guess no one ever moved.:s

DJYale
February 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Do like I've resorted to lately, just walk in and ask if they have any open booking dates they want to fill... :g

I've also started offering a discount on the first show for places who agree to book at least 2 or more shows initially.

Digital Party
February 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
OK....that sounds good!!! Any more?

Karaoke Queen
June 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
:s Hi

Having similar problem myself. Started doing Karaoke a few months ago using Hoster. Was a barmaid until recently and the bar I was working in offered me a couple of slots to practise and get my confidence up before moving onto something closer t home. I've been doing this for 4/5 months and it/I have improved. They are only paying £60 per night but the guy who used to do it 2 years ago got £80 then! However I approached a few bars and they've all already got Karaoke sorted(although a couple were interested enough to tke my business card). May try your suggestion about doing some "freebies" to let them see how good the system is since most are still using RSQ and discs!!!

Good luck in your new town!!

KQ :)

Digital Party
June 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Karaoke Queen,

UPDATE.....

I went and did a free show (yuck!), but it landed me a regular job on Friday nights at $175. Not bad to start,....I talked to the owner and said that after a while I will need to go to $200. He said that that was reasonable, but wants to give it 6 months at least. These people like what I do.....it is for a military base and they already want to use me for other "parties". They have placed a cap on me of $23,000 a year. I can live with that. :t