PDA

View Full Version : Internet, downloading, and karaoke

gotrich
January 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM
Has anyone heard of being able to download karaoke songs to the pc? I has a few customers tell me that a KJ was doing this. I try to be as legal as possible and I was not aware you could do this. Yes being legal gets me less money and time than the guy who rips him music off the net(regualr DJ music) Just curious if this was possible.

If anyone is intersted to know I have only been doing this for about 6 months and am up to 5 shows a week and I might have to buy another set of equiptment to keep up with demand!

DJYale
January 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
I've heard of people doing it, but know of no legal means of it.

denny4155
January 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Have you heard of CAVS. You can pay 1.99 per song and down load any song you want :w

DJYale
January 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
CAVS.com is the site for the Cleveland Caveliers ....:c

And why pay 1.99 for a song, if an entire CD+G disk with 15-18 songs can be bought for $18-$20, why pay $29 - $35 for the same amount of songs...

George
January 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM
And why pay 1.99 for a song, if an entire CD+G disk with 15-18 songs can be bought for $18-$20, why pay $29 - $35 for the same amount of songs...

Depends on what they will be used for. To amass a large song inventory, like a KJ needs, what you say is absolutely correct.

However we have many private users who are more focused on obtaining songs they want. In that case spending even $5.00 per track ( that's what Priddis was charging for custom CDG's) can be much cheaper.

The average commercial CDG may have 2 songs you really want, and 13 you could care less about. That's quite intentional on the part of the manufacturer for obvious reasons.

At that rate you'd have to buy at least 7 discs to get 14 songs you really want. That works out to $126 to $140, using your numbers.

At $5.00 per pop through a company like Priddis, 14 tracks comes to $70, and and all 14 tracks are songs you want, no dead filler, and you have an original CDG.

I haven't checked Priddis in awile, they may have come down somewhat, dunno.

I haven't looked into Internet download tracks, most aren't legal anyway.

It's my understanding that Cavs tracks will only play on Cavs machines. That's the way it was a few months ago, and if it's changed, I'll stand corrected on that point..

Take care,

George

Digital Party
January 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Another Software I was using.......sells MP3+G's

[snip]

Hoster is much better in my opinion

kenpattx
February 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I download music from the net, I use wal-mart I think its 95 cents per song
I pay with a credit card is this legal ???

DJYale
February 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
The following thread contains the answer you are looking for.

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=4793

mindonstrike
February 10th, 2005, 06:08 AM
If you get your music (karaoke or otherwise) from a p2p or an irc chat channel it's definately illegal/immoral. CAVS is legal although it requires special software to convert to cdg (and last time I looked they had a rather poor selection). I understand Top Hits Monthly is selling their songs in mp3g format and downloaded to you, I don't care for THM or I would have looked into it.

Sam

admin
February 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
If you get your music (karaoke or otherwise) from a p2p or an irc chat channel it's definately illegal/immoral. CAVS is legal although it requires special software to convert to cdg (and last time I looked they had a rather poor selection). I understand Top Hits Monthly is selling their songs in mp3g format and downloaded to you, I don't care for THM or I would have looked into it.

Sam
Actually, from industry sources we talk with, CAVS is NOT legal.

The songs the sell/sold from Steller records were not licensed. Stellar sued CAVS, but CAVS is in Korea and continued selling them for a long time (if not still doing it).

CAVS' Chartbuster Essential 450 songs on the SCDG disc work out to $0.10 profit a piece if all the royalties are paid... with Chartbuster, CAVS and a Distributor all getting a cut... of $0.10? Does Not Compute! :e :r

wackyquack
February 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admin;

I think I'm confused. I don't own a CAVS so I'm going to ask this question. Are you saying that the songs that come loaded on this player from Chartbuster, THM and I don't remember the other label are illegal? Or are you saying to buy/download individual songs from CAVS is illegal?

admin
February 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
There are only 3 companies we are aware of that pay the Mechanical Duplication License and the Synchronization License for Karaoke songs the produce and sell. Only one - Karaoke Bay - has been tested in Court and found to have legally produced EVERY SONG they have, and they pay all the royalties.

A very credible source that follows all law suits in this industry informed us that at least 7 of the major Karaoke Producers have refused to pay them for more than 10 years.

We have been told that the major producer now has $19 MILLION in suits against them.

The second largest is just under them.

Make your own decisions... :r

Karaoke John
June 26th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I am so glad I read this thread/post. I continually have singers requesting songs that I dont have and have to buy disks that have gobbly gook on them (songs very few people will sing) in order to get one song. I was going to look into downloading some songs but not now. I am what you would call the Hobbiest KJ I don't do it for a living. I share my Karaoke Pleasure at the A & D treatment center that I work for. Yes you can sing Karaoke Sober. I also do it twice a month after AA meetings. But it would just be my luck that I would be the guy that Big Brother music industry would come after and take all his equipment.:e Al Bundy and I share the same kind of Luck sometimes:g . So I guess I will continue to buy the really bargain disks from Karaoke.Com and Wally World aka Wal-mart.
Oh by the way I have about 25 Karaoke Bay disks and really like them. Good quality sound, accurate Lyrics and clear graphics not a bad brand to sing off of.
"Life is short Sing Loud."
John

wackyquack
July 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't there something in the posting rules about recommending someone elses products?

ADMIN: Yep. The errant post is deleted.

mindonstrike
July 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't there something in the posting rules about recommending someone elses products?

You are not confused at all.
It's also just plain bad manners.

Sam

djmadmaxx
July 12th, 2005, 03:35 AM
i believe that is true.. and it's still not legal to use their songs (Because they didn't pay for thier liecencing)

George
July 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM
It's also just plain bad manners.Sam

Yeah, about like strolling into a Rodeo Drive boutique wearing a "Shop Walmart" sign.

George

karaokeangel
July 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
well if there are, I completely apologize. I was only making a suggestion, and thank you for your concern.

Karaoke John
July 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I first just want to say that I for one really like MTU's Software. I am sorry that KaraokeAngel took things so personally. If she is happy with her other brand of Software then why switch to any other? I also really like the forum! Being the newbie to computer karaoke that I am I have gotten some really valuable information. :)

I dont know a dang thing about downloading music off the net and am scared to even try. It would be my luck to have a virus invade and wipe out everything I have worked on. Lots of hours spent importing disks. As far as other software I looked before I made a decision to go with MTU, the updates and support and incorporating our Ideas into the software made MTU the best choice.

I really think that Hoster is fairly straight forward and easy to use. We can complicate it but the more things added the more to go wrong. The only thing that will make it absoulutely unbeatable in my book will be when I can import DVD titles so I don't have to use another player for that:c . Well sorry there is another thing too. but I'll put it into the request features section.
Have a great day
John:g

BloodyLegend
July 13th, 2005, 05:37 AM
A very credible source that follows all law suits in this industry informed us that at least 7 of the major Karaoke Producers have refused to pay them for more than 10 years.

We have been told that the major producer now has $19 MILLION in suits against them.

The second largest is just under them.

Does this mean that anyone using discs produced by these companies could find themselves liable for prosecution? After all, even though the discs were bought in good faith, the fees/royalties haven't been paid.

If this is the case, in the best interests of KJ's everywhere, these producers should be named.

It also raises the question of whether or not these producers have the right to refuse permission to anyone that wishes to rip these discs to hard drives.

admin
July 13th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Does this mean that anyone using discs produced by these companies could find themselves liable for prosecution? After all, even though the discs were bought in good faith, the fees/royalties haven't been paid.

It also raises the question of whether or not these producers have the right to refuse permission to anyone that wishes to rip these discs to hard drives.
To my understanding, if you buy a disc in good faith from a factory authorized dealer/distributor (versus an illegal copy or making a copy yourself from a disc you don't own), then you havethe right to use the songs on that disc. If the producer hasn't paid royalties and licenses, then the courts are going after them for their illegal actions. The $19 million of suits against one producer were settled out of court for about $5 mill. That opens up the Licensing companies to suits now from those producers who have paid the licenses and royalties all along. Interesting times ahead.

It has never been tested in court, but research done indicates that the legal owner of a disc can "format shift" the contents by importing to a hard drive. However, rest assured that copyright law doesn't change by the whim of a producer. Most of the discs you own now probably have an incredible statment like "not for public performance". If producer's statments like these are legal, then why hasn't someone been sued for hosting a show in public? :r

George
July 13th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Most of the discs you own now probably have an incredible statment like "not for public performance". If producer's statments like these are legal, then why hasn't someone been sued for hosting a show in public? :r

My favorite is on the back of ALL HITS 8012 MEGASTANDARDS.

Quote: "Not for public performance unless played at full volume"

Someone with a sense of humor poking fun at themselves and the industry, I guess.

George

Digital Party
July 15th, 2005, 02:01 AM
My favorite is on the back of ALL HITS 8012 MEGASTANDARDS.

Quote: "Not for public performance unless played at full volume"

Someone with a sense of humor poking fun at themselves and the industry, I guess.

George
Now that is a funny quote

BloodyLegend
July 15th, 2005, 02:17 AM
To my understanding, if you buy a disc in good faith from a factory authorized dealer/distributor (versus an illegal copy or making a copy yourself from a disc you don't own), then you havethe right to use the songs on that disc. If the producer hasn't paid royalties and licenses, then the courts are going after them for their illegal actions.
I'm failing to see much difference between an illegal copy and a disc produced without royalties and licenses having been paid. Seems to me they are pretty much the same thing. I do concede that in some jurisdictions, having bought it in good faith would protect you from prosecution. But it must be remembered that there are places in the world where "good faith" is not a defence.

Karaoke Meister
July 29th, 2005, 07:54 AM
You need to remember that there are a couple different licenses we're talking about here. Not all apply to karaoke directly because of the unusual nature of the beast itself.

Based on information from a variety of sources at different karaoke manufacturers the initial investigation into the synchronization license is done with a phone call and a hand shake. They work out the details as the disc goes into production in the studio. They finish up the studio work and send out the gold disc for pressing. It comes back and is sent out to distributors for further sales to the general public. Sometimes the licensing gets hosed up at the last minute after the disc has shipped. This is similar to what happened with the Sound Choice 8125 - Eagles disc. The person they talked with originally verbally granted rights but when the agent checked with Don Henley he denied the rights.

There are other rights for distributing songs - Master Use Rights, Mechanical Reproduction Licenses, Digital Licensing, Performance Licenses and many more.

The playback disclaimer for public performance no longer applies when proper licenses have been obtained from ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC.
On a side note, MP3's purchased from most 'legal' MP3 retailers are not legal for playback and purchase by a commercial entity is a violation of the terms of use agreement. It requires written permission to use the tracks by a commercial entity. Same applies for YourMusic.com and the BMG Music Club. The CD's you purchase through them are not legal for playback no matter what licenses you obtain. It's a direct violation of the terms of use agreement with the company and they can refuse to sell to you as a commercial entity or as an individual if you transfer the product to a company for use.

It's a strange world with all the licensing and such... but after lots of reseach I was only more confused!

And in my discussions with a couple lawyers the general concensus was that a purchaser of an unlicensed CDG was NOT liable because of the unnecessary amount of effort required to determine if licensing was obtained. It's generally assumed that licensing was obtained prior to production of the product and the manufacturer would be held liable for the entire run of product. It's also not cheap to prosecute the crime in civil court so going after the end user isn't practical. Civil torts generally go after the person with the deep pockets.

swany
August 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
REMOVED They make custom disks at $1 per track all soundchoice. I would think they would be out of business if doing something wrong. But you make the list of songs you want and you don't have to pay for something you don't.

mindonstrike
August 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM
www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com(website address x'ed out by Sam) They make custom disks at $1 per track all soundchoice. I would think they would be out of business if doing something wrong. But you make the list of songs you want and you don't have to pay for something you don't.
I know for a fact Sound Choice will not release songs to custom burn sites untill the songs are at least a couple months old.
They have songs released by SoundChoice just a couple of weeks ago which proves they are pirates

Why they and others like them are permitted to remain in business is the subject of much speculation on different karaoke forums.

At somepoint, someway, someday, they will get theirs :) . When they do go down I wouldn't want my name and address in their database. :e

Sam

George
August 9th, 2005, 07:28 AM
The price alone tells you what's going on. $1.00 a song for S.C.and making a profit on that...get real.

George

mindonstrike
August 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Kxxxxxxxxxxxxm is making a profit however Sound Choice, the songwriters, the publishers and all the honest KJ's are being robbed.

It's very patheticly ironic that they have a copyright notice on their website.

Sam

swany
September 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM
The price alone tells you what's going on. $1.00 a song for S.C.and making a profit on that...get real.

George
Don't really know if they are legal or not never bought anything from them and will wait and see, so far they have been in business for quite some time. However the $1 per track is not that far from what I'm paying a local music business for my CDGs, most of the custom makers are charging $5 per track and that includes CB and SC last CB I bought I paid $17 for out the door with 15 tracks on it. A custom CDG at $5 per track would have been over $75 and that my friends is why these people are doing business. When SC and the other majors offer custom CDGs for a much smaller fee, that woud put them out of business for good. Which is what they should do instead of trying to get them in court which would take years and may never get them. I being one that would cheer the manufacturers if they would. I've been buying a lot of my stuff from Wal-Mart and at $9.72 for ten songs is not that bad and the quality seems to be right up there. Long as I need new music, I'll buy quality if it means I have to buy SC or CB but if Wal-Mart has the same songs for $8 less well that means I'll do my grocery shopping as well. Hey everybody havin fun yet? Sure hope so, with my last statement do say a prayer for all of our friends expecting that ornery lady Hurricane Rita. Take care and have fun. Swany

Karaoke Meister
September 22nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
I have a number of discs I've purchased at Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers, and a variety of other department and music stores.

Among these discs I've found a lack of quality in most of the discs and have avoided them like the plague because of this.

What brands do I avoid?
K-Tel (no lead in or splash screens on the song - it just 'starts')
Sybersound - sound quality is lacking
- the exception is the Original Artists series for Motown
and plenty of others.

What discs do I still puchase there? Only 2.
Priddis
Karaoke Bay

I've found both of these brands to be above average in quality - rivaling the quality of SC and CB in some cases.

But just because I can get 1500 songs for $100 doesn't mean I'd use them in a show. I actually paid less than $100 for my SGB collection and I had at least 1 disc I couldn't use (SGB 23) and a number that lacked in quality to the point I needed to replace them a short time after purchase. I now limit my purchases to SC, CB, PHM, THM, KaraokeBay, Priddis and a few overseas companies. I'm more concerned with QUALITY than anything else at my shows. Especially when my competition is using SAV-A and SAV-P that sometimes don't scroll the graphics, and have all sorts of other problems. I can't wait to get to that town (I'm about to move) and show the people there what a REAL karaoke show is supposed to be like. You know, one where $7 doesn't get you bumped up 5 spaces and $10 doesn't get you singing next. One where they don't use a cheap consumer player and lousy mics with short cables. One where they actually have effects and know how to use them.

jimbo
September 22nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
The only problem with buying karaoke music downloads is that it's just the audio, no graphics. Now, if a person wanted to invest a little money to save some money, they would just buy MTU's KHPro and download the $ .88 karaoke songs from Walmart and do their own graphics.
Now for the legalities---
1) Don't know how the publishers would feel about this though, because you don't have a sync license to do such a thing.
2) Are you adding to or enhancing a previously copyrighted work?
3) Is it for personal use or commercial use?

Jim

Karaoke Meister
September 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Generally they'll be REAL upset that you did this - especially if it's for commercial use.

No license for synching the graphics, no mechanical reproduction license to affice the song, no master use license to use the orginal recording. This is a law suit waiting to happen and you won't just loose - you'd get HAMMERED.

You 'might' get away with it if it's a parody, but using their music isn't going to fly. 'Could' you get away with it? Sure, but creating the timing and such for the music is more pain than just buying the tracks to begin with. Think about it. 88 cents per track for the music is about $14 per disc with 16 tracks and I can buy sound choice spotlight discs for just over $16 each online in the mortar set. My time is worth MUCH more than $2 - espcially since it would take an hour or more PER SONG to put the lyrics on and getting the timing down.

jimbo
September 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Exactly!
Now what about all those who take the midi files and record their own version and sync it? Same problem legally. No licensing has been aquired. Even a parady would REQUIRE licensing. The original writer of the music is entitled to their fees.

Jim

Karaoke Meister
September 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
A parody would only require a mechanical reproduction license which costs about $43 because it requires prepayment of 500 copies. It would be different if offered in a digital format but you can get information at HFA.

Doing even a midi version requires a synch license. I thought about this a while back. Pick up a high end Roland Synth and use mid/kar files. You loose the backing vocals but it could actually be BETTER quality than some of the CDG's I've seen! Problem is the licensing....

Licensing drives a lot of the ways we can use music. And most of the time it's overly restrictive.

I'm actually about to talk to a local group about doing a karaoke album of their stuff. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of their masters from the studio so I'll use the SAME music they used on the album! Don't know how far it will go but it's original music so they own the rights to it. I'll do all the work and try to work out a deal on the profits. I'm only wanting to be able to sing the songs while out at karaoke. If I just recoup the production cost and/or the cost of the software to produce the tracks I'd be happy. If I'm real lucky they work out a deal to have me work with other local bands. Keep in mind it only applies to original music - nothing covered can be done this way without synch rights!

George
September 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Karaoke is not new, just the name Karaoke. In the twenties, thirties and fourties, it was common in the movie theaters to have a "sing along" film between the features where the audience sang to a music background with lyrics on the screen and a bouncing ball "syncing up" the lyrics and music..

In the fifties or sixties this was brought to television by a bandleader named Mitch Miller, using the same principle. "Sing Along With Mitch" was born, and was a success. There we have music "synced up" with lyrics on a t.v.screen...

So really, the idea is far from new, just the manner in which it was put to use, depending on current technology at the time. Now shading the lyrics has replaced a bouncing ball. That's the only real difference.They both serve the same identical purpose.

Here's the reason for the history lesson.

This gives cause for one to wonder if the music industry may have bitten themselves in the foot by establishing a precedent years ago in allowing those old shows to take place over a span of perhaps fourty or fifty years without collecting any extra "synchronization fees", or did they?

I guess it would depend on when those fees came into existence, and/or if any such fees were collected even if it was in existence. Maybe no one thought to look at it in this perspective...you never know.

If in fact, the movie studios paid no "sync" fees for their "follow the bouncing ball", and Mitch Miller paid no "sync" fees for the Sing Along With Mitch Show, and the methods used then were considered in fact to be the same as present day "syncing" then perhaps, just perhaps if the present "sync" fees were challanged in court, they just might be declared invalid, since the music industry neglected to collect them in the past.

There is a legal basis that simply stated says if you didn't do anything about it in the past, then you can't do anything about it now. You established a precedent.

I've wondered right along what the outcome of a challange to the "sync" fees on that basis would be.

George

Karaoke Meister
September 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I'm sure such a case would be a dismal failure on the part of those fighting the payment of synchronization rights. Why?

Because over the last 50 years they've stretched the copyright of a work from a short time, to the length of an author's life, to the length of their life plus 75 years. Because over the last couple years they've enacted new laws to 'tax' new technology based on the presumption that it will be used for illegal purposes (Home Recording Act of 1992 taxes DAT players and ALL DAT media). They've created a law that provides for a 'statutory' rate for covering an authors song (the Harry Fox Agency's nearly sole purpose is collecting and managing these fees).

Because they've added laws over the years to protect the copyright owners rights and only those works released before the law goes into effect are exempt from those fees. They can't create a law today taxing DAT players and then make it retroactive on all DAT players sold/manufactured before today's date. Sort of like saying 'I saw you doing something I didn't like so I had them make a law to make it illegal so now I'm arresting you because you did something yesterday that's against the law today'. Not real practical...

Keep in mind this is exactly what they did with a lot of the cleanups 'required' by the EPA (the dumping of certain toxins was legal when it happened but it's now illegal - the original dumping company has to clean it up!).

I'll see if I can dig up the actual law that deals with synchronization rights and I'll post a link here. It might be a couple days but if anyone runs into it before then post here to save me some time in looking it up.

On a side note, some of those songs might have been public domain works under the copyright law at the time. Chances are some of the record labels saw it as a great marketing tool as well and actually requested they become 'sing-a-longs'. And the main issue is not only the making of the tracks but the reproduction of those tracks on a rampant basis in digital form over the Internet and other 'file sharing' means.

mindonstrike
September 24th, 2005, 08:28 PM
The only problem with buying karaoke music downloads is that it's just the audio, no graphics. Now, if a person wanted to invest a little money to save some money, they would just buy MTU's KHPro and download the $ .88 karaoke songs from Walmart and do their own graphics.
Now for the legalities---
1) Don't know how the publishers would feel about this though, because you don't have a sync license to do such a thing.
2) Are you adding to or enhancing a previously copyrighted work?
3) Is it for personal use or commercial use?

Jim

Where on the walmart site do they have instrumentals. All I can find is new-age stuff. I've hunted all over the internet for instrumental tracks for sale or to commission someone to do a few. All I've found is a few sites in the UK with few premade instrumentals I'm interested in and custom mades seem to START at about $80. (a little to rich for me right now).

I've made a few songs in KPRO with devocalized tracks and they are so-so OK, but I'd really like to do some professional quality stuff.

Sam

George
September 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm sure such a case would be a dismal failure on the part of those fighting the payment of synchronization rights. Why?

I wouldn't be so certain about that. I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

IF the SYNC provision of the copywrite laws existed, say when SING ALONG WITH MITCH was popular, and none were ever paid, and no attempt to collect them was made, then just because all of a sudden they see Karaoke exploding, and they try to collect them, they may not be given that legal right under the EX-POST-FACTO provision of the law.

It's a little known legal provision that does exist.

If that scenario is true, then they themselves established a precedent by not collecting the sync fees when they could have, and could lose the right to do so now.

George

jimbo
September 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Mindonstike wrote: "Where on the walmart site do they have instrumentals. All I can find is new-age stuff."

Just go on the walmart download site. When you enter a song title or artists, make sure you add the work karaoke to it. For example "karaoke the rose" will bring up some songs, "Karaoke Shania Twain" if searching in the artists field will bring up a ton of songs.

Jim

linda2ya
September 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Lake Station,we live close to each other, I may be the DJ they are talking about. The music is being downloaded into my pc from my hard disc collection of fifteen years. The customers keep asking me to download this and that song. I've explained to them it takes time to get them all in a computer and I'm not downloading from the internet. Kinda new to this area and not trying to cause any waves.I just love karaoke and wanna work once or twice a week.:)