PDA

View Full Version : lost things when i installed microstudio

karaoke king
May 16th, 2001, 09:37 PM
I just purchased the microstudio program to back up my cd+g's. When I installed it, I lost my ICQ and my napster programs. When I installed it, it told me I had to make adjustments that I had never done before. The problem is, I don't remember what all it told me to do. something about casche settings. Can somebody please help me?

MTUSUPPORT
May 24th, 2001, 03:36 PM
The settings that it asked you to do are located at http://www.mtu.com/support/microstudio-install-sheet.htm

I have never heard of it messing up ICQ or Napster. I have both of these programs loaded at home on my system, with Microstudio. They both work without a glitch and were not damaged when Microstudio was installed.

admin
May 25th, 2001, 01:51 PM
You might make sure you don't have a virus on your computer, using either the McAfee or Norton Anti-Virus programs.

We verify our software does not have a virus "infection" before we place them on the website. However, you might have received virus from an email attachment or other source.

namdog
May 26th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by karaoke king
I just purchased the microstudio program to back up my cd+g's. When I installed it, I lost my ICQ and my napster programs. When I installed it, it told me I had to make adjustments that I had never done before. The problem is, I don't remember what all it told me to do. something about casche settings. Can somebody please help me?
bummer man, but its a program out there called goback, by roxio part of adaptec ,, just as the name applys if you lose anything or your system can't boot into windows you use goback and you can pick a time in the past where your system and everything you had on before you installed something that messed you up will be as it was before ,you could pick a time like 5 min's ago before whatever messed you up,,,, good program to have well worth the money, oh i don't work for them i'm just passing alone good info, hheheheh http://www.roxio.com/

Misschiff
May 28th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Try to think back if you had installed any other programs just prior or after installing (Ms) Microstudio. Sometimes you need to reboot after software installs (usually a good idea anyway). Perhaps if you hadn't done this until after installing Ms, you wouldn't have noticed the changes a previous program had made, and therefore suspected Ms as the culprit. OR, you made incorrect changes to your system during Ms install.

No guarantees, but you <i>might</i> be able to recover your previous settings. Without seeing your system or getting more info, it's kind of difficult to troubleshoot, but I suggest the following (if you are uncomfortable get asssistance from a PC knowledagble friend):

1) Backup your system first. A cool little utility many people don't know about is on your Windows CD (Win 95, 98) .. called ERU.exe (emergency Recovery Backup. You can use this to back up all system files, including the registry. I run this prior to any install. It's quite simple to use and just as effective as other software except that it doesn't run in the background/automating the procedures.

2) Check your system files for recent backups (say the day or within a few days of installing Ms). Compare them with your current config files and note the changes. Most frequently these files are any of the files within SYSEDIT but will also include the Windows registry -- I won't even attempt advising you on editing that! However, if you notice any recent changes within these files, you might try restoring the slightly older files to see if that works.

OR simply do the following:

3) Reinstall Software.

a) With Microstudio, double Check your settings as per the installation program recommendations. (There is an html page following the installation which tells you how to properly config your system)

b) Reinstall ICQ and Napster, especially noting the EXACT location you previously installed to. Every application I know of will NEVER wipe out your data, even with uninstallation. If you must, do a "search for "ICQ", then "napster", on your hard drive to find the program and/or data directories. If in fact these are completely gone, you may have / had a virus.

Often we over-look things the first time around, out of frusteration. Take your time and try to think logically.

Good Luck.