PDA

View Full Version : Would this process work?

egxdomain
November 1st, 2004, 05:43 PM
I'm aware of vocal removal by cancelling left and right to keep center.

But I was wondering if the reverse is done (ie. retain vocals, remove background music), perhaps the mono result can be subtracted from each channel, separately, perhaps cleaning the mono vocal version by suppressing any instruments that were originally in the center, then doing the subtraction. If this is done independently, instead on the original stereo file, the stereo effect will remain.

Another theory I had was if somehow the original stereo image is expanded, (I've noticed the vocals are supressed a little in most cases), the previous process would yield better results! Is this possible?

I DO have a question, though. Is there a way to capture de reverb effect from both channels, perhaps by canceling the resulting channels if the previous did work? I believe if this was possible, a BETTER vocal removal would be possible, since you wind up with the center vocals and any reverb added to them.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

P.S. I heard somewhere about CSP vocal removal EVEN with a mono source. Is this just bunch of hype?

George
November 1st, 2004, 06:15 PM
Interesting...brings up a question in my limited mind. Gonna let my stupidity hang out here :)

Considering that the frequency range of the instrumentation is so much broader than the vocal, and vocal removal is all about cancelling frequency ranges, if the instrumentation were completely removed, wouldn't one wind up with nothing...no vocals retained?

Dunno, just wondering.

George

admin
November 1st, 2004, 09:24 PM
I'm aware of vocal removal by cancelling left and right to keep center.

ADMIN: Sorry, it is removing the center sounds, leaving those in the Left and Right. :r

But I was wondering if the reverse is done (ie. retain vocals, remove background music), perhaps the mono result can be subtracted from each channel, separately, perhaps cleaning the mono vocal version by suppressing any instruments that were originally in the center, then doing the subtraction. If this is done independently, instead on the original stereo file, the stereo effect will remain.

ADMIN: ????? Beats me what you are trying to do/say here. :? :f

Another theory I had was if somehow the original stereo image is expanded, (I've noticed the vocals are supressed a little in most cases), the previous process would yield better results! Is this possible?

ADMIN: Doubt seriously. ANY processing tends to damage the ability to reduce/remove the CENTER-PANNED vocals.

I DO have a question, though. Is there a way to capture de reverb effect from both channels, perhaps by canceling the resulting channels if the previous did work? I believe if this was possible, a BETTER vocal removal would be possible, since you wind up with the center vocals and any reverb added to them.

ADMIN: Reverb/Echo removal is extremely difficult, which is why no product currently has this. :e Again, you are all wrong on ENDING UP WITH the center-panned sounds. It is EXACTLY the OPPOSITE... the center sounds are removed. :r

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

P.S. I heard somewhere about CSP vocal removal EVEN with a mono source. Is this just bunch of hype?

ADMIN: This is HYPE unless they have a breakthrough in technology that MTU and no other Vocal Eliminator company has developed.

See my answers above.

egxdomain
November 1st, 2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your help. I just bought Vogone today and am very excited to try it for size!

Hope I didn't confuse you, which I know I did!

But it's all for the effort in finding a better way to remove vocals.

By the way, I'm taking a copy of [a competitor] to see how it works. You probably heard of them. Well, anyway, they did a major update in their devocal feature, (ie. retain treble, bass, etc.). I'll try it but not expecting to get awsome results from them.

Thanks, again, for your support to this newbie in karaoke mania! :)

Wallymeister
November 2nd, 2004, 11:50 AM
I think George has a point here. The way vocals are removed is not an exact science. It is instead a pot luck processing that hopefully removes most of the vocals. And if the vocals were recorded dead center pan then that process will work pretty good but, never without removing some background music also.

The way I understand it also is that you will get a better result if vocals were recorded center pan and all other music is recorder off center one way or the other. Could be wrong.

Just chimming in here.
Wally :g