PDA

View Full Version : Problem with words being displayed

is14fun
September 4th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I am have a problem with the lower parts of words not being displayed on the screen. Things like the tail of "y" or "g". They are displayed when the line is first scrolled, but when the next line is scrolled, the bottom parts are wiped out. I have tried everything I know like changing fonts, sizes and styles but noting seems to eliminate this. Does anybody else have this problem and does anybody know how to fix it?

George
September 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Try using less lines per page. I only experience what you're describing when I go to six lines to sweep a fast tempo song(fewer page changes to contend with), but the problem goes away when I cut back to fewer lines to save the track.

What I've gathered is each line of text is in a rectangular 'block" ( for want of a better description) and with six lines and even five lines with larger font, those "blocks" overlap.

That's the only way I can think of to describe what I've noted. The area taken up by a character is larger than the character itself, somewhat like stick on mailbox letters.

Hope this helps,

George

jahern
September 5th, 2004, 12:57 AM
I always use all-caps so I don't have problems with the tails of g or y but did experience something similar and it was discussed in this thread.

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=2329

Hope this helps.

admin
September 5th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Other suggestions:

1. Use a different font

2. Use a smaller point size for the font

The problem is as George points out. There is a "character cell" size, based on the font and point size. When too many lines are on a page, with too big a font or size, the decenders get overwritten. :r

Wayne Orlicki
October 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM
I always use all-caps so I don't have problems with the tails of g or y...

All-caps do alleviate some of the work and problems of producing karaoke tracks. But permit me to do a little preaching here.

Consider the singer. By nature, we are able to recognize written words more easily and quickly in lower case. This is because lower case words have more shape than words written in all upper case. The latter are of uniform height across the top and all sit on a common base, so all words are more or less box-shaped. Lower case, however, with its mix of risers and descenders, gives the reader more visual cues to recognize the word. Take, for example, the following:

We are able to recognize written words more easily and quickly in lower case.

WE ARE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE WRITTEN WORDS MORE EASILY AND QUICKLY IN LOWER CASE.

This is why you don't see any books or even magazine articles printed in all upper case. It would be a slow, fatiguing read. The karaoke singer is under enough pressure without adding this handicap. :s

George
October 21st, 2004, 10:45 PM
Wayne,
That's just your opinion, and I respect that, but that's all it is. Don't present it as the norm for everyone. I use caps exclusively, and they are much more user friendly...for this singer, as well as those in our private Karaoke club.

In your own example, it is easier to scan the all upper case than the inconsistancy of lower case with it's variances, and as for why books aren't printed in all upper case, we read the same as we're trained to write, and that's lower case with caps. One would have to use block print to use all caps in penmanship which would be time consuming, but in many instances much easier to read.

Another argument against printing books in all upper case other than the reason you cite, is obvious in your own example. Upper case is too space consuming and would result in a larger book, much more expensive to produce.

And that's why they have Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream

George

Wayne Orlicki
October 21st, 2004, 11:16 PM
Wayne,
That's just your opinion, and I respect that, but that's all it is.

...and as for why books aren't printed in all upper case, we read the same as we're trained to write, and that's lower case with caps.

Another argument against printing books in all upper case other than the reason you cite, is obvious in your own example. Upper case is too space consuming and would result in a larger book...

George

Much as I'd like to, I can't claim originality for that opinion. I got it from a textbook on graphic arts.

And didn't you just give us two good reasons for using lower case? :w

George
October 21st, 2004, 11:23 PM
The two reasons I gave apply to handwriting and the cost of printing books, neither of which is applicable to the subject of this thread, and do not contribute to your rational regarding Karaoke screens. :r :r

Sorry I contradicted your "Preaching", but it is not a one shoe fits all situation which you deemed to present it as, nor will there be any right or wrong viewpoint in this discussion, which would only serve to make further discussion a lesson in futility.

Bye...

George

admin
October 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Gentlemen, I think George is right here. This discussion is informative, but not answering is14fun's problem.

I request that this discussion be ended.

is14fun's, would you care to post if the above suggestions have solved your problem or not? :?