PDA

View Full Version : Desktop very large after crash - how to fix it

jnklm
April 4th, 2001, 10:00 PM
I was copying a cdg with microstudio v2.200 and it was about 2 song into it when it crashed and went back to the desktop. the problem is that the desktop is very large now and it is so big that i cannot change it back because i cant see the box in properties to change the screen size back to normal. anyone have any ideas on how to fix this because at this point the computer is useless, it tried rebooting and that didn't work and i'm using another computer to write this.

DW
April 5th, 2001, 02:14 PM
I had a similar situation occur. The desktop was about 500% larger than normal and there was no way to do anything except shut down and re-start. I was able to completely recover with no re-occurences to date.

GordonF
April 7th, 2001, 02:39 PM
This happens when a program using DirectX crashes and doesn't get a chance to restore the previous display mode on exit. It's not unique to any particular platform either - it happens on Win2K as well as Win9x.

If you are able to get around the small screen or can use the keyboard to navigate, you can 'blindly' reset the display mode with the Display control panel. If you have the "Log out" menu in the Start Menu enabled, you can log out and re-log in to restore the display (Under NT and Win2K anyway) without having to reboot. InN a worst case you can blindly shut down the computer (ctrl-esc to bring up the start menu, then cursor up once to the Shut Down menu entry).

If you're one of the lucky ones with a video driver that supports hot key display mode switching, you can use your hot keys to switch modes out of the small screen into something else, then back into whatever you normally use. If you're not one of those lucky ones, the old Power Toy called Quickres gives you this capability.

admin
April 9th, 2001, 06:48 AM
You can shut down the computer with ctrl-esc to bring up the start menu, then cursor up once to the Shut Down menu entry. Try this first. If the screen still comes up in 200x320 resolution where the icons are giants, the try the following.

Reset the display mode with the keyboard.
1. Press the Ctrl key and the Esc key to to see the Start menu.
2. Press the up arrow key until the Settings command is selected.
3. Press the right arrow key and you will see the sub-menu with Control Panel selected at the top.
4. Press the Enter key and the Control Panel will appear.
5. Press the down arrow key to move down until the Display Icon is selected.
6. Press the Enter key.
7. At the top, select the Settings Tab.
8. In the "Screen area" select your normal display resolution (800x600 at least).

This will restore your display resolution.

In our current version of Microstudio under development, we have added significant new code to the program to prevent the display being left in the low resolution mode. There is no easy way for us to display Karaoke on a PC computer without changing the resolution, or requiring an expensive display card.

admin
April 9th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Ok I solved the problem, i had to restart the computer in safe mode and go to accessibility options and go to the general tab and turn off the accessibility features after idle. Then I could resize the desktop. Everything is working normally now.

DEANO
April 17th, 2001, 12:20 AM
the same thing happened to me . i had to use f5, which put me into the safe mode at normal size. you then can go into you system.. some how the micro studio software 2.2 on playback, changes display system, color and screen area settings. you have to put them back to oriiginal. that will take care of the magnified screens...

dean-o...

GordonF
April 20th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by admin
There is no easy way for us to display Karaoke on a PC computer without changing the resolution, or requiring an expensive display card.
Win98 and Win2K support dual displays. If this display glitch is really a problem, would there be a way to specify with display, if there were multiple displays, to play back the CDG tracks on?