PDA

View Full Version : Make CD's for others?

gotrich
June 9th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I had a singer talk to me about removing vocals from cd's. He is not a KJ or even really big into karaoke. He has just a few songs he sings but said he might try others if he could practice em at home. I told him about MTU and VOGOne. He asked if I can make a cd of songs for him. I dont have VOGONE yet but if I had it...

1. Is this legal to make songs and give them away?

2. Can I charge him a ouple bucks for the time?

3. Can he use that at my show, at home, or at any show he goes to?

????????????
LOL

Rich Warne
Dr Karaoke

quaizywabbit
June 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Not LEGALLY, To do so you'd need permission from the owner of the copyright of that music.

gotrich
June 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Is vogone illeagal for me to use then too?

How do I contact someone about buying the write to use a song?

quaizywabbit
June 10th, 2004, 05:04 AM
For your own personal use, no prob..........just don't try to sell it or even give it away.

As far as contacting the owner of the copyright.....???dunno??

admin
June 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM
In ALL legal questions... think like the Musicians and Song writers. If they have been paid for the song, then it is in legal use.

If a customer brings his own Audio CD to you that he has bought, you can remove the vocals, as best you can (be sure not to PROMISE you can), make a new Audio CD with the reduced/removed vocal song, and charge for your time. If he brings a copied disc, his word is all you can go on and you are clear if he lied.

However, if another person wanted the same song, and she had NOT already purchased the Audio CD with that song, then it is illegal. To be legal, have her go out and buy the song, then give her a copy of the vocal reduce/removed version you already processed... and charge her for the time also. :w

rhythmace
January 5th, 2005, 06:34 PM
notify ASCAP or BMI for a license and read the rules on the internet.