PDA

View Full Version : Wedding CD legality issue

gotrich
June 3rd, 2004, 04:30 AM
I have a family that wants me to do a wedding but wants a large ammount of salsa music. I don't have much because its rarely needed where I am or I just never had those customers. I have a question. The family wants to lend me a CD of salsa music to use at the show (mp3's) Can I legaly barrow this CD to use at the show and give it back? DOes it matter if its the origional cd or a burned cd they made? How does this fall into the legality spectrun of things...CAN ANYONE HELP?

:?

swany
June 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Ask the people, how they came by the music. Many computer programs are offering MP3 downloads including microsoft, so if they downloaded it, they have purchased it, I would consider it the same as someone bringing in their own karaoke disc, somewhere along the line someone bought the music. If not then I guess you get their playlist and purchase a download of mp3 and get the music. Your cost but then, you may get other work by having it. I recently done a family reunion and got three weddings booked. I done this reunion, quite cheap $350, but I am invited to this event each year, now I have it booked annually, also. So I gained three events by doing a favor. The people you are doing the salsa music for will book other shows if you have the music, just opens a new territory for you. Take care and good luck. Swany

Bottom line, get what your customer wants legally.

Alan Bingham
June 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by gotrich
I have a family that wants me to do a wedding but wants a large ammount of salsa music. I don't have much because its rarely needed where I am or I just never had those customers. I have a question. The family wants to lend me a CD of salsa music to use at the show (mp3's) Can I legaly barrow this CD to use at the show and give it back? DOes it matter if its the origional cd or a burned cd they made? How does this fall into the legality spectrun of things...CAN ANYONE HELP?

:?

As in the other post, I suggest that you go out and purchace some Salsa music. You get to keep the music and the customer is happy and you may pick up another party.

:g