PDA

View Full Version : No Sound Card installed

dsmail
April 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I've just purchased and installed latest version of Vogone only to be told by the program that I have no sound card installed and I should install one now. Hmm? Obviously I do have a sound card which runs fine with all aspects of my PC running XPP.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this out.

Thanks

Dave

MTUSUPPORT
April 29th, 2004, 10:08 AM
dsmail,
The only thing that can cause this to happen that I am aware of is that your operating system is missing some of the updates. To fix this, connect this computer to the Internet, click the Start Menu\Windows Update. Once this page comes up click Scan for Updates.

Then add every update that you can, tell it to install them. Once this is done, Reboot the computer, rerun the Windows Update over and over until all of the Updates have been installed and no more show. You should then beable to run Vogone.

dsmail
April 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your prompt response. As you must well know, there are many updates for windows XP and I'd be reluctant to install "every" update as many of them relate to parts of the OS I never use like "messenger" for example. Surely you don't mean to include all these. I visit the update sight on a regular basis and reckon I'm pretty up to date but I'll another look. Do ASPI driver effect Vogone as I notice that other programmes you offer DO relate to these drivers and I noticed that a diagnostis utility I use reported no ASPI drivers installed on my system.

Thanks

Dave

dsmail
April 30th, 2004, 10:24 AM
I went along to windows update and installed everything available as you suggested, but this made no difference, I still get the missing sound device error message followed by the message that Vogone must now close. There is an error log text file that is generated by Vogone. Would posting that help. What are my options to get Vogone running, as so far I haven't managed to anything with it.

Dave

Here's some of my PC spec which may help

AMD Athlon 1.2
1GB SD 133 RAM
ABIT KT7A RAID Motherboard (Via Chipset)
Win XPP SP1
ATI Radeon 64MB Video Card
Creative Audio PCI 128 (CT4810) Sound Card

MTUSUPPORT
April 30th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Dsmail,
Try Running the DXdiag as described in this FAQ: http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=18&c=13

You can attach this .txt file to this post, so that we can view it on here. This would be the best.

Also you might try updating your Audio Drivers from Creative from: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Let me know when you try this what happens.

dsmail
April 30th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. There was a newer driver available from Creative for my sound card, but after installation, the same problem was still there. I've attached the results of DXDIAG as you suggested to this message. Hopefully this will help to solve the problem.

Dave

admin
May 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by dsmail
Thanks for your prompt response. As you must well know, there are many updates for windows XP and I'd be reluctant to install "every" update as many of them relate to parts of the OS I never use like "messenger" for example. Surely you don't mean to include all these. I visit the update sight on a regular basis and reckon I'm pretty up to date but I'll another look. Do ASPI driver effect Vogone as I notice that other programmes you offer DO relate to these drivers and I noticed that a diagnostis utility I use reported no ASPI drivers installed on my system.

Thanks

Dave
ASPI is a driver that allows programs to access the CDR/CDROM/DVDR drives. This would not affect playing at all.

However, it is interesting that you don't have an ASPI as most programs (MTU's do) require this to read/write to a burner.

dsmail
May 3rd, 2004, 03:21 AM
That's strange then as I use a CD burner with Nero with no problems. It was Sisoft Sandra that reported this error with ASPI drivers....must have been mistaken! At least we can discount ASPI drivers as the cause of my problem. Still been unable to use Vogone with the same "no sound card installed, please install one" error message. Hopefully somebody on the forum will come up with something soon.

Dave

gduns - with the Lord
May 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Well, at this point I would say you would have nothing to loose to try........ uninstall hardware... sound card, and all drivers, and do a fresh install from the original disk.

It is possible that the drivers may have been corrupted, or are in a strange place. I noticed your windows was on the D: drive, which is unusual. it is usually on the c: drive.

Please when you do resolve this problem let us know to help others.

MTUSUPPORT
May 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
I would agree with GDUNS. This sounds like the best next step to try. It does seem that for some reason the program is just not seeing your Sound Card.

Do you have a Sound Card that is also built onto your motherboard? If you have this on the motherboard, but not disabled in the Motherboard Bios, yet the drivers are not installed in Windows. I am not sure what might happen, but if the program is looking at this card and it is not working right.

One way to find out is to Right click on your My Computer Icon, Left click Properties. Click the Hardware Tab (XP or 2000), click the Device Manager button.

Check under Other Devices and make sure there is no other Sound Card showing up. Then also look under the Sound Devices, and make sure that the only card showing is the Creative Card that you are posting about.

mlepine
May 3rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
I would agree with gduns & George and to be honnest, I would start all over and reinstall Windows in the C drive in NTFS than get all updates on the Microsoft site EXCEPT audio & video which you need to get from ATI & Creative.

If you do have an audio card that's already on the motherboard it's always better to cancel from the Bios but the Creative driver will still take control of you PCI 128.

A bit of work but it's the way I would do it!

Good Luck

dsmail
May 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM
My only sound device is my Creative PCI 128. My motherboard does not have onboard audio. I have tried installing it and reinstalling from original CD but no joy.

Am reluctant to reinstall XPP as it would take weeks / months to regenerate all software, settings tweaks etc. Everything Else works perfectly well as it is. I need my PC for work projects and other jobs.

Did anything come of my posting of the DirectX diagnostic program results.

Well, before I write this off as a total loss of $55, has anybody any final words of hope or advice. I know there are billions of pc configurations in existence, but am I really the first to have got absolutely nowhere with Vogone with my system? I was looking forward to experimenting with the program, but looks like it's not going to happen with my PC. I'm sure there's a simple answer to all this, a tweak of the registry perhaps? or a minor edit in a line or two of an ini file somewhere? Who knows?

Dave

gduns - with the Lord
May 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I am no expert on this, But I think the soundblaster pci was one of the very first soundblaster cards when pci came out many years ago. possibly 10 before they even thought about direct x I would almost be suspicious that it isnt direct x compatible. there are some of the diagnostics it gave a n/a to. could possibly changing to a soundblaster audiology oem which I've seen as cheap as $35-50 make a difference?

MTUSUPPORT
May 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I found something Yesterday in some of the Microsoft code, that might cause this from the DirectSound that we use. I would also think that this could be fixed by putting a new sound card in the system. I would get any newer Sound Blaster board. Make sure the board that you get supports DirectX.

It seems that you can get this if your board doesn't support Hardware Buffering. This may be what your problem is, and is alot simpler than reformatting the computer and reloading.

dsmail
May 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your continuing help on this one. Seems the consensus is the sound card. I'll get something of a higher and more appropriate spec as you suggest Bryan and see if that helps out. Perhaps an Audiology as gduns mentions. I'll let you know how I get on. Turned in to a bit of an education all this....wouldn't you say.

Thanks

Dave

jahern
May 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Just saw this thread.

I have had similar messages when other programs (jukeboxes, etc.) were also using the music files.

Are all other programs turned off when you get this message?

If the answer is "Of course, ya' big galoot!!!" then I hope you enjoy your new sound card.

:w Good Luck

dsmail
May 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Perhaps something like this might do the trick

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3701&item=4128105374&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

dave

MTUSUPPORT
May 5th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Dsmail,
Yes that Sound Blaster Live card should work. We have a few of those in computers here at the office and they do work correctly.

mlepine
May 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by dsmail
Thanks for your continuing help on this one. Seems the consensus is the sound card. I'll get something of a higher and more appropriate spec as you suggest Bryan and see if that helps out. Perhaps an Audiology as gduns mentions. I'll let you know how I get on. Turned in to a bit of an education all this....wouldn't you say.

Thanks

Dave

I believe it's Audigy & not Audiology. In the Audigy you have the standard base Audigy & the new Audigy 2 family with 24 bit. I have the Audigy2 ZS which is an excellent card if you also want to set up a home studio where you will need ASIO.

Regards

gduns - with the Lord
May 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I had to check the spelling myself and you are right. I was spelling it the way the techs pronounce it here. I would suggest against the soundblaster live and for the Audigy either 1 or 2 simply because some motherboards have had problems with the "Live" card. I have one such motherboard at home that the soundblaster live is not compatible with. it's a gigabyte, but I understand there are others that have a compatibility problem with this card.

dsmail
May 5th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Cheers Bryan. I'll get myself the Live card and if there are no incompatibilty problems as suggested I might just be up and running. I've researched how ABIT motherboards with VIA chipsets can live with the SB Live card and I appear to be OK on what I've read so far. Time will tell. I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Dave

MTUSUPPORT
May 5th, 2004, 03:33 PM
We also have the Live cards in the Abit Motherboards with Via Chipsets here at the office. The model that we used was the VH6T boards. So you should have no problems.

mlepine
May 5th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by gduns
I had to check the spelling myself and you are right. I was spelling it the way the techs pronounce it here. I would suggest against the soundblaster live and for the Audigy either 1 or 2 simply because some motherboards have had problems with the "Live" card. I have one such motherboard at home that the soundblaster live is not compatible with. it's a gigabyte, but I understand there are others that have a compatibility problem with this card.

I will agree with you, I also had problems with the SB Live on three different computer. Creative made so many different model of that card that it's no surprise that it will have some problems!

Most of the problems I had was with the EAX software and the Creative Player/Recorder. I know that the Live Value is one model that is not working properly with the latest updates.

I would spend a little more an get at least the Audigy1 and that card is not supported on the Microsoft Update site so this way you will be certain to have the driver coming from Creative!

Regards

dsmail
May 9th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Well, I installed Creative SB Live as discussed and nothing has changed. It works fine with Windows XPP and all my installed apps apart from Vogone which shows exactly the same error messages as with my previous sound card. I tried the SB Live on various different PCI slots which made no difference and updated the driver from Creative which didn't help. I removed Vogone and reinstalled it also but to no avail.

Where do we go from here? Any more ideas.

Dave

jahern
May 9th, 2004, 10:06 AM
You said your sound card works fine with other programs, Microstudio Play, etc.

The only way I can get this error message, with an installed sound card, is when another program is using the files.

I use windows 98 and I know how to turn off programs. (I'm not sure how to do it with XP) Are you sure that all other non-essential programs are turned off when you try to use vogone?

mlepine
May 9th, 2004, 10:14 AM
My guess is that the fact you have Windows installed on the D drive might be part of the reason?

By default, when you install any software of drivers it will go in the C drive and perhaps you have drivers or software installed in the wrong directory which would explain this problem?

I would still recommend a fresh new installation on the C drice in NTFS this time but again, it's just a suggestion and it's what I would do because your setup is still not normal.

Regards

dsmail
May 10th, 2004, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty certain that no other programs are using the sound card and therefore making it unavailable for Vogone. Although I'd like to know what has to be left running as a minimum in XPP. In 98SE, it was just explorer and systray. Anyone know what the XPP equivalent is.
I think there is a strong point for installing Win XPP on the C: drive as suggested. I did mention this further back in the discussion thread but obviously who wants to reinstall OS from scratch. I intend to retainn current XPP installation on D: and install XPP again on C: using a dual boot system in the mean time until the installtion on C: is complete and then remove the old XPP from D:

Thanks for your thoughts and comments

Dave

dsmail
May 14th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Problem is solved at last. It wasn't the sound card and it wasn't anything to do with my OS being on the D: drive in the end. It was the integrity of the WAV files I was asking Vogone to open.
I had converted MP3s into WAVs using the highly acclaimed Cool Edit Pro audio manipulation prgramme which I use frequently and this is what Vogone obviously did not like. I ripped a track from a CD strainght to WAV format using a basic CD ripper and the resulting WAV was recognised by Vogone. I think what threw me right off course was the error message created by Vogone "No sound device installed, please instal one and try agin" This obviously makes the user think the problem is with the sound card when it isn't at all. Perhaps in future releases of the programme this error messgae could read something like "Inappropriate file format, please try again" or something like that. However, I'm not sure if this is an OS error message or a Vogone error message. Anyway, all is sorted now although I did purchase a new sound card and reinstall my OS needlessly. Thought you might be interested to know how it all turned out in the end.

Dave

MTUSUPPORT
May 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Dsmail,
Thank you for letting us know what the problem was. This is very odd that you would have problems with a program such as Cool Edit Pro, but there is a very tight spec on the .wav file format. They have caused us grief, by being out of spec in the past.

You are correct about the error, I had not ever had anyone tell me this same problem due to your Cause. I will make sure that we make note of this, and try to change the error messages in the program.

jaddams
May 18th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Ckeck this possible solution (http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=552,E=0000000000028577650,K=1167,Sxi=2,Case=obj(7707),Kb=creative_cli_us) from the Creative Labs website. It may help someone.

Good luck,

Jon

G-Force
January 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
DSmail, you are not the only one with this problem. I just ran into this one today. I was creating a medley of songs for a friend who will be doing a live performance this weekend with cooleditpro, and of course I saved it to a wav file. Keyrite did not like this file. I got the same message you did, and was racking my brain trying to figure this out until I read your post.