PDA

View Full Version : Recording disc image to hard drive stops half way through - scratched disc

RickSRQ
March 23rd, 2001, 08:42 AM
When using the duplicate disc utility with only a CDR drive.

While Microstudio is writing image file, the "Recording disc image to hard drive" window comes up as well as the progress bar. About half way through the progress stops. The first time it happened I waited some time and then hit terminate. My pc then locked up, so I restarted. I then checked the image.bin file size and it was approx. half the size it should have been, 307MB. I tried again and this time let the program sit when the progress bar stopped halfway through. I walked away from the pc and checked back periodically. After about 30 minutes the whole "Recording disc image to hard drive" window was gone, but no "Copy Success" window. None the less, I put a blank CD-R in the drive and tried to click "start duplicating", but it started trying to write another image file, not to burn.

I have used the Custom Assembly utility with success, so I know the drive (Plexor 12X, purchased from MTU) is working. Also I have 128MB SDRAM, a 400mHZ pentium, and I have shut ALL other applications down while running Microstudio v2.2. Any suggestions?

Thank You

RickSRQ
March 23rd, 2001, 10:25 AM
OK, I think I figured it out. I started thinking, if it stops half way through maybe a track somewhere towards the middle of the CDG was scratched. I looked at the CD but it looked ok. So I tried to write the image files one by one using the custon assembly utility. Well, right in the middle(track 8 of 16) it did the same thing. It stopped and eventually locked up. Next I tried to lower the reading speed on that one track to 1X, it took a little while but it finally wrote the track to the hard drive. I then increased the read speed back to 32X and finished the CD, recorded it, and now it works great. I guess there was a scratch or dust on that one track, but I found a way around it.

Thanks anyway,
Rick