PDA

View Full Version : As Hoster Changes

tnrsound
April 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
I just upgraded to the 2.127 which at this point in time is the latest version. Now the search is really slow. It seems like every time that a new version comes out there is a problem with something that wasn't a problem in a previous version. I have a friend that uses Hoster too and we colaborate on issues that we share with Hoster. He actually took this version out and put the 2.124 version back in because it seems to work better. I've also noticed an increase in audio dropouts with the new version. This is really fustrating at a show. It used to be some of the cheaper karaoke cds that did it but now it has worked it's way into the Sound Choice which happens to be one of my personal favorites. As I clean my own issues of cds installing badly...etc. I am hit with other issues. The audio drop out issue is really a boo boo. I don't like that. People look at me like it's my fault. I don't want to dis your program but I have to blame it on that during that incident. I like Hoster alot but it seems like every other version has issues. I'm no programmer so I don't understand all the "code" issues or anything but I am a customer looking for a good product. In my opinion your on the right track but it sure gets frustrating sometimes. Just an honest opinion from someone who works alot and depends on equipment. Hopefully after reviewing the changes in your 2.2 version these problems are fixed. Don't mean to sound like a butt but this is my livelyhood. If I use this to bring home the bacon I definetely would like to start with a good pig.

Thanks fellows,

Tim

MTUSUPPORT
April 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
TnrSound,
We two are very frustrated with the Audio Drops. We have been working on this for months. We have tried everything that we can think of, and we think that in the next version this should be working.

tnrsound
April 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
I appreciate your reply. I really can't wait for the new version comes out if it's every thing that you say that it is. I'm really interested in the whole search idea. That'll make things easier. I read a lot of the forum but my eyes get pretty tired. There is a lot of thread there. Well if there is anything that I can do to help let me know. I believe very much in your product and I know that you will figure it out somehow. I've been here since the entrance of Hoster and I'll be here for some time to come. I just don't say too much on the forums.

One other question. Why is it that the search slows down sometimes. It's seems to be every other version. Is it something that I'm doing because it seems to be happening on both computers. My friends and mine. Let me know please.

Thanks again,

Tim

P.S. I think I have another Hoster sold for you. Anway pretty much one more Karaoke person around here that doesn't have it but I think he's getting out of it anyway.

Beavis
April 22nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
MTU,
this is why i have not upgraded yet. its not about the money, its about the new problems with the new versions.

i am still running 2.014 with no problems.

AllStar
April 23rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
I have to agree with BEAVIS, I prefer others to test before I buy / upgrade any new products. I also run 2.014 and will do so until ..........

2.014 has served me very well. I may not have all the fancy buttons, but neither do I have hang-ups or drop-outs.

gduns - with the Lord
April 23rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Beavis, Allstar,

Hoster is not released untested to you guys or anyone else. MTU has a Very good team of Beta testers, and MTU will not release any product untill they are confident in it. The 2.127 Is a real Good Improvement over the 2.014 version.

When it is released, the 2.2xx will be The ultimate Karaoke Program. But Seriously Hoster as well as all MTU Programs are Thoroughly tested. Most Problems with hoster as well as all software, comes with the fact computers are built with different components.

All Programmers try to create portable code, that is to say code that will work with many different combinations of hardware. But there are so many different combinations of drivers, and interface cards, motherboards & processors, they all don't respond the same.

This is not MTU's Fault. If you ever purchased a system built by MTU and set up by them. It would be Bulletproof. I have been building Industrial computers for 30 years now. I still get suprises, even using the same components, you will have
anopmolies they will throw out the equation.

I thought I had the ultimate Karaoke system, only to find out it had a motherboard problem, that got fixed on the next rev of the motherboard. Keep the faith.

To Me MTU are The Ultimate in karaoke Programmers"

Beavis
April 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
i have all the faith in the world in MTU. i know the program is the ultimate karaoke program. i dont care about the song book, i dont want the drop outs !! i have been with MTU since 10/02 and have expierienced all the problems. by the way, its not the money thats stopping me from upgrading, heck im probably going to pay and not do the upgrade !

gduns - with the Lord
April 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Beavis,
Some Experience the dropouts, while others don't. In my personal Experience with hoster, I don't see any drop outs anymore.

I did in the beginning, until I looked for the cause. a couple of things I have found was checking the system INfo, and see if the sound and the video cards are on the same irq. In my case I had the agp (video), sound and raid controller on the same irq. Changing the irq in the Bios, and swapping card slots, took care of 90% of the problems. I also found that If I turn off direct draw on the direct x It improves a lot. lastly, and most important. The page file size should be set to the same size. ie: if you set the minimum for 512 mg set the max the same. it will make a lot of difference.

I don't recommend things like this to computer neophytes, Because they can inadvertently screw things up. but they took care of all my problems.

I ran 2.014 - 2.127 with no drops. But as I said all computers and components are not created equal.

tnrsound
April 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I have had the reverse affects with the drop-outs. I didn't have very many in the beginning but now there's quite a few. I have a Sony Laptop with 2.66 P4 Intell with Radion Video and Sound Card with Direct X 9.0. If I get any closer to standard I will probably be one of them common folk.

Anyway I didn't figure on changing my whole computer to suit Hoster. That's too much for karaoke people. I know a little about computers but what you just explained to me sounds like the Manhatten Project. Which I would love to chat with you if I went to college for that.

Now the real deal....I do karaoke all the time. I have a guy that works with me doing karaoke. Now I don't claim to be Zeus but I also don't wanna look like Mr. Potato Head.

Enough explaining my thoughts. I think that after reading most of the post and even responses from MTU that the dropouts are more than just changing the red wire with the green wire. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. I'm gonna be patient on this because I have to be anyway and I really do love the product and the dream. I personally think that it rates over many of software that I have used. Way to go MTU. I am an audio techinitian by trade and let me explain it this way. If I showed up to a show and half of my equipment shut down and I can't explain why.....there gonna find someone else.

I'm really cool with your changes and things but I just get frustrated when you hear the song repeat itself or drop and you can't even tell where to start singing. There some serious singers out there that like to put on a good show. I like to keep those around. It won't happen if things like that happen. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

I'm not upset I just am tired of people throwing excuses around. I just want to have a hassle free show.

Thankyou
and good night

tim

admin
April 23rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
I want to make it clear that our Hoster beta testers are the most Elite Group I have ever assembled in 35 years in software development. They work hard and smart and really call our cards, no matter what they find that doesn't work the way it should.

However, exactly as gduns wrote, there is no way we can predict and prevent every problem that can occur on every combination of hardware and software.

As to audio dropouts, as we have added features, such as the Keyrite Pro live key change function, more and more "Windows Threads" got added into the software. Sometimes they are automatically added by Windows. Last week, we started a dedicated search for all threads created and running. From our initial research, we discovered some very interesting things. A single change to one thread priority has removed audio dropouts in Hoster 2.205. However, the Add CD function causes seconds-long drops. Next week, we will complete this study and expect to find the answer to all the audio dropout conditions is linked to thread priorities. Once our study is complete, we will have a clearer picture of what to change. We are targeting Hoster 2.206 beta late next week. If all goes well, it may be the release candidate. If not, we currently believe, from the facts at hand, that we are on the right trail, and will solve the problem soon.

All I can say for now.

Beavis
April 23rd, 2004, 06:22 PM
just for the record.......im not complaining or whinning ! i am happy with hoster !!

AllStar
April 23rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
I have to agree with BEAVIS once more, I'm not complaining. What I am trying to say is that I love Hoster, but will wait until most of the bugs have been sorted out. Feedback from other Hoster users are extremely important.

Another thing, most of the time, the bugs are not Hoster but hardware related. Even bugs that were reported on 2.014 I never experienced, mainly because of good solid hardware and software updates(windows)

My compliments again and again to MTU for providing us with Hoster, I could and would never go back to the CD way.

tnrsound
April 24th, 2004, 03:40 AM
That's what I was looking for. I was just wondering how this problem was going to affect us in the future. I didn't want to have to change my computer again to make things work. It gets very expensive. I personally am not putting down your BETA TESTERS but what they said means no since to me. I guess my biggest concern is how long we gonna have to keep up with the issues. To be honest it's just really embarrasing because every time that it happens you have to explain yourself. After awhile you get to feeling stupid. :? Anyway glad to see that you're putting forth special effort on that.

Well good luck with your team.

Have a good day!!!:)

Tim

gduns - with the Lord
April 26th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Sorry,
I didn't mean to go over the heads of some of you guys. when we test most of us have have computers just like you, with different cards and configurations.

I don't mean super computers. I was trying to help the ones that do know how to tune a computer to help yourself. I think our goal is to make a program you guys will have absoloutly no problem installing and using. I am A KJ as well. and it is embarrasing when you have a crash, or an audio blip.

All I can say for now, it I belive if you hang in there a few more days, you will be significantly Impressed.

tnrsound
April 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Well by reading the upgrade criteria for 2.2 it seems that eveything is going to turn out ok. (My opinion). That is some of the things that I have been looking forward to.

Hey Admins[B]

Do you expect Hoster 2.2 version to come out on schedule. That would be great. If you have some time give me a few words of encouragement.

Thanks,

Tim