PDA

View Full Version : Kma vs Mp3+g

Azkaraoke4
April 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why one would be better than the other? Besides the fact a kma is only one file. Are there major sound quality issues or anything else major?
Thanks

gduns - with the Lord
April 16th, 2004, 08:11 PM
there is a website, I forget the site. but It tells how mp3 compresses. Basicaly it takes the sounds it don't think you can hear and eliminates them from the track, then it compresses.

If you ever created a mp3 file and compare it to the original file, You will see that it is lacking in Fidelity unless you add equalization.

a Kma file utilizes the Moicrosoft compression technology of .wma from direct x 9.0 and it compresses the complete file the way it is. compare it to the original file, and it will sound the same without equalization. also for the same playback rate 128bps for instance, the .Kma file is almost Half the size of the mp3.

Which would you prefer?

Hoster is currently for a future release having the mp3+g format added for the oldschool diehards. But I recommend the .Kma files Personally

Azkaraoke4
April 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info, I would prefer kma now also. So how would the 128 as compared to 96 as far as compression? Because of course I have done half of my disks at 96 at this point. I've read that a few people have said that they don't notice the difference and some say they can. Whats your take on that? And would you recommend that I continue as is or do the rest at 128? Or redo them all. I havn't had the opportunity to here it at a show yet and check the difference. I can guess a professional might notice a difference, but what about people partying having a good time and singing a song now and then?
Thanks in advance for the info. :g

gduns - with the Lord
April 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM
I have imported 19,000 tracks at the 64k . I spent a week trying them all. I am running a 4000 watt pro rig, and have been doing karaoke for a while now. My audience tells me I have the best sound in the area. and I am in a Major city. To Me that is a very big compliment. If it sounds that good why not use the smallest.

I also have 32,000 music tracks in wma format, for dj work, and they think they are listening to cd's I am sold on the format.

Azkaraoke4
April 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you, I am now sold on it. I'll stay at 96 :)
Good talking to you and I am sure we will talk again.
John