PDA

View Full Version : Boot.ini

James w murray
April 13th, 2004, 07:36 PM
hi i was using my disc image 2002 to transfer my c drive to my d drive so i would have an exact copy of all my hoster cdg files on the d drive as well as everything else
usually when i do this and re boot the computer an option screen comes up with the multiple operating systems on it to choose from such as
windows xp
windows xp (1)
if i choose the windows xp (1) it would boot my computer with the d drive
i had went into the boot.ini command and removed the excess operating systems so that i had one for each drive but i think i deleted something by mistake because now when i start the computer the options for which drive to boot with do not come up it just automatically boots with the c drive
i want to be able to boot with the d drive as well just in case the c drive were to fail
which is the way the computer was set up before
can anyone help me to fix this problem

Thank You

Beavis
April 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM
why dont you just drag and drop all the .kma's to the D: drive ???

James w murray
April 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
hey beavis i know that i can do that but mtu had set my computer up so that i had an exact copy of my c drive on my d drive so if the c drive were to crash i could boot the d drive and continue with the show but now i don't know how to boot the d drive since the computer now just automatically boots with the c drive

gduns - with the Lord
April 14th, 2004, 09:51 AM
If you reimaged your "d" drive as a clone of the"C" the way to boot off of the "d" drive, would be to reboot and during the reboot, go into the bios and go to the selection that says boot up order.

change the boot order so it boots from the second hard drive.

Personally, I prefer to keep programs and the operating system only on the "c" drive. and all the .kma files in a directory called Karaoke on the D Drive. I use norton Ghost 2003 and then make an image of the c drive to a folder named "Backup+date" on the d drive. this will only consume about 5 gigs with fast compression.

It takes about 15 minutes to backup. if you have a crash, it takes about 15 minutes to restore. and you dont have to worry about loosing your .kma files.

But I do like the way you are doing it, if you can afford to have 2 hard drives with exazctly the same files on them. My way, you can store a lot more files on the same amount of disk space.

their way you can restore a little faster, or of you have a complete hard drive failure, you wont have a problem.

of course an alternative to backup your kma files you could do as I do and copy all the kraoke files to a usb drive for safekeeping.

That way you will never have to reimport them again.

James w murray
April 14th, 2004, 11:48 AM
thanks for the info but i don't know how to get into the bios to change the order i thnk when i went into boot.ini i removed a line that brang up the boot option screen that automatically came up when i started the computer
it looked like this
windows xp (c drive)
windows xp (1) (d drive)
windows xp (2) (d drive)
when i usd the disc image it copied c drive to d drive as well as the operating system
but before when the computer booted the option screen would come up and i could highlight which operating system to boot with within 30 seconds now ic just boots automatically with the c drive no option screen
that is why i think i removed a line from boot.ini which brang up this option screen before

Beavis
April 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM
hit the delete or F1 key when its booting up !

James w murray
April 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
beavis i think i got into he bios with this prostar computer you have to hit ctrl+alt+s to get it but i chech all the tabs such as startup componets ect and there is nothing with a boot order

gduns - with the Lord
April 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I think this would be a question for MTUSUPPORT since it is a mtu computer. I am not familiar with a bios that you cannot set the boot order on.

James w murray
April 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM
thanks i did e-mail brian and i think i found the boot order but there are windows to choose which to boot with first second and third but the list reads

hard drive c
cd rom
floopy disc

hard drive d is not listed as an option could it be set as a slave to the c drive?

nreel
April 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM
You should be able to use your "up" and "down" arrows on your keyboard to highlight (select) hard drive c. Then, once selected, you should be able to use your "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys...on your keyboard...to scroll through your "choices" that are available.

In this case, keep pressing either your "Page Up" or "Page Down" key until you see the choice for hard drive D.

If the 'Page Up" and "Page Down" keys do not make a change, then you should be able to VIEW help information located at the Bottom of the BIOS Window.

This help information will point out which keys do what to change settings.

Once you are sucessful in making a change, be sure to SAVE the settings Upon Exiting the BIOS.

Hope this helps,

Norm

James w murray
April 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
norm unfortunately the only options i have to select from are boot from c drive boot from cd rom or boot from floopy disc there is no selection for the d drive

James w murray
April 15th, 2004, 10:16 AM
fro going into the help menu i think my computer was set up for the multi-boot option this is the screen that came up normally during the booting process and let me choose which operating system to boot with and now this is the screen that is missing
whatever line i removed from the boot.ini file caused this screen to no longer appear

Help:f :?

MTUSUPPORT
April 15th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Jim,
Here is what you should try to fix this:

1) Right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop.

2) Left click Properties.

3) Left click the Advanced Tab.

4) Left click the Settings Button under the Startup and Recovery Section.

5) Make sure there are checks in the boxes next to "Time to display list of operating systems:" and "Time to display recovery options when needed:".

On the Right side of this, they both should be set to as long as you would like to wait. I think the Default is 30 seconds. You can change this to shorter if you wish.

6) Click the Ok button. Then click the Ok button one more time to get out of the System Properties. Reboot your system if it doesn't ask you to.

Let me know if this does or doesn't work.

Garry A. Leslie
April 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Hello james w muray,
Only a thought,
Try System Restore, if you did a restore date
at any time prior to deleting the boot.ini file both drives information should be reset to an earlier time which should restore the boot up information you need.
All changes made, can be reversed.
Your Boot up information in your Bios should also recognize your D drive anyway, and give you the option to boot from D.
Could be your D drive has a loose connection, on the cable.
When you first start your computer it should recognize your two drives as a master and slave.
Check this.
This is before it gets to the Option screen for choosing which XP version to use.
If its not there the D drive isn't being recognized by your system.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry

James w murray
April 15th, 2004, 05:17 PM
hey brian thanks for the info that did the trick the time to display operating systems was not checked
one minor problem now is i have a new operating system choice i didn't have before i have windows xp for the c drive and windows xp (1) for the d drive and now there is a third that says windows (default) i can't figure out how to remove this one from the boot.ini i think i'll just leave it alone
the windows default option is the one that is highlighted when i boot now
thanks again for the info and if you can tell me how to get rid of the windows default option that would be great

Jim

MTUSUPPORT
April 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Jim,
Search the computer for the file boot.ini. When you find the File, it may be Read Only, so if so you will need to Right click on the File, left click Properties. Once this hopens uncheck the Read Only check box.

Now click Ok to save this change. Once this is finished then Right click on the File and left click Open With.... When the list of programs pop up, then select Notepad. You can then go in and Remove this option that you want to get rid of.

Then save and close the file when you are done, it should now be back to normal.