PDA

View Full Version : laptop audio - quiet and "hissy"

songpony
April 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I recently started using Hoster. I'm running it on a brand new HP laptop and in general, everything is great. However, I'm finding that my overall volume is limited by the laptop's audio output; I'm using the headphone jack, as that's the only audio out on it. I've got the mixer channel the laptop is on pretty well maxed, while my mics and laserdisk player have LOTS of headroom. I've got the volume up on the computer, and I upped the volume of the "quieter" disks when I loaded them, but I'm still really pushing it. When I increase the volume for that channel on the mixer in order to get the music at the right volume, I start getting a hissing or "staticky" noise - it only occurs when Hoster is actually playing (if I have the channel up that far but the song is stopped, there's no noise, so that tells me it's only occurring because of the audio output). Does anyone have any suggestions for either of these two problems? The stereo channel I'm using on my mixer doesn't have an actual gain control - just two settings of -10db or +4db (I have it on the +4, which is the loudest). I've been told to try using the line input on one of the mic channels (which does have a gain), so I'll be trying that tonight to see if that helps the volume issue - don't know what to do about the hiss (or if this will even help with the volume). Anyone else experience the same thing? Thanks.

gduns - with the Lord
April 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I have run a compaq, which is essentially a hp. and have no problems if you dont have a gain control, you might want to invest in a better mixer, or a preamp.

The headphone jack on any computer puts out about the same levels. check the controls on the computer and make sure the output (volume control) and wave control are turned up. that may be the problem

djmadmaxx
April 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Kim, You should get an external sound card. the onboard outputs on most laptops are not that good. what are you plugging it into?

mlepine
April 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Songpony,

your LapTop doesn't have an amplified audio card which is great.
Older laptop use to have those audio chip that were amplified and didn't have a good sound.

When you select the +4 db on your mixer in fact your selecting the balance option. Normally when connect a laptop with any audio card that uses a 1/8" connector or RCA it is a Non-Balance a should be at the -10db.

Your audio chip in your Laptop might need a driver update? Have you download all the latest updates on the Window web site?
Getting a good USB audio card like a SB would be a good option.

regards

Wayne White
April 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I have 5 laptops set up with Hoster. As pointed out by songpony, the HP Presarios (I have 2) do not put out the signal that my Compaq, Sony or MTU laptops do. I added a Maya 5.1 USB sound card & it helps some, but the best bet is to increase your volume on your power amp unless that causes distorsion. The signal on my MTU laptop is so strong that it distorts the music on my dance music I play unless I keep the volume at less than 1/2. On the HPs, I max the volume & it still needs more power.

Wayne

songpony
April 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM
The volume controls (both main and wav) on my computer are turned up (wav is maxed and main is one notch below max - I didn't want any distortion). I'm using a single 1/8" stereo jack to two 1/4" (separate L-R) jacks that I plug in to a stereo channel of the mixer (it's a Behringer 1832). I have the gain on the amplifier channels maxed (it's 750 watts/channel with my speaker setup, so should be blowing people out of the place - my laser player would if I had it turned up the same). My laptop's less than a month old so I would hope it has the current drivers, but I can double-check that. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

mlepine
April 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM
are you saying you don't have enough volume because of the total power or not enough power on the input of the console?

I suggest you first calibrate your line in on your UB-1832 at 0 db & +2 db for peak signal by pressing SOLO, if necessary use the +4 Level (balanced cable) to get some gain. Are you connecting your UB-1832 on a home power amp with standard RCA cables? If that's the case this explain why you don't have enough power on your speakers. This console should be using Balanced cables with a Balanced input on your Power Amp.

If you are certain that your input signal on your UB is at 0-2 db than you have no problem with your lap top but the problem is related to the amp.

Regards

Beavis
April 8th, 2004, 08:40 PM
do you have the right cable from the laptop to the amp ?

songpony
April 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
The laptop is going to the mixer and the mixer is going to the amp. I don't think the amp is the problem - it's brand new and all my mics and my laserdisk player are MORE than loud enough; problem is definitely related to the output of the laptop (or the fact that there's not enough gain on the stereo channel I'm using). I'm using a cable that has the headphone jack for the laptop on one end and 2 1/4" jacks on the other - I'm plugging the red 1/4" plug into the right input of the channel and the white 1/4" plug into the left input of the channel (same channel - meant for stereo inputs). I used the laptop on a different mixer (a powered mixer) for about 2 weeks (then it died, which is why I have a new mixer and amp), and it was OK, but the stereo channels on that mixer had a true gain knob (unlike the new one). I'm going to try it tonight on a channel that has gain - I'll let you all know the results. Thanks a bunch.

Beavis
April 8th, 2004, 09:39 PM
a USB external sound card is the way to go !! plus its cheap....under $50.....i bought one off the bay for $25 and it works great. i use it as a second sound card for pcdjfx

gduns - with the Lord
April 9th, 2004, 08:05 AM
a preamp is cheaper and cleaner.......

songpony
April 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Well, I ran the computer through the line input of one of the mic channels (which has a gain knob), and the volume was significantly better, however I'm still getting lots of static and hiss. Any ideas on that part of it? When I run the laptop through its speakers, docking station speackers, or use headphones, the sound is clean. But I don't think the noise can be attributed to the mixer or amp, because I've run it through a couple of different channels with the same results, and only the computer audio has this problem (mics are fine, and laserdisk player is fine). Thanks.

djmadmaxx
April 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM
you may be getting a ground loop. i had one with a laptop once and i got a hissy/buzzy sound from it that was very annoying. i switched to a 2 prong cord and it was gone. try that.

mlepine
April 9th, 2004, 11:59 PM
This is cause by your Battery Charger Pack, try playing your laptop on the batteries.

My Laptop does the same if the power cord is connected!

Good Luck

gduns - with the Lord
April 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I bought a hum eliminator at guitar center the other day that took care of my problem like that. but you an do the same thing by buying a $1.59 2-3 prong adapter. it lifts the ground, and cleans up the sound.

songpony
April 14th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Don't think I can do a 4-hour + show on battery alone, but I'll look into the 2-prong plug.

Thanks.

gduns - with the Lord
April 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM
song pony,

Seriously, consider the, "Hum Eliminator" from the Guitar center I paid $50.00 for it. I had the same problem as you, and it took all the hiss out of it. It almost sounded like a high frequency processing sound of the hard drive reading.

songpony
April 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I went to Guitar Center here, and they (unfortunately) had no clue. I did end up getting a product from Portland Music called Transit by M-Audio (a USB pro sound "converter"), which both cleaned up the sound and increased the volume - worked like a charm and it's extremely small and easy hook up (runs on bus power only). Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and experience - problem solved!