PDA

View Full Version : Background Vocals

slim05
March 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Why is it that I can select a button on my Karaoke Player to remove background vocals but Hoster does not have this option. Can anyone give me sugestions on how to remove these crappy background vocals from some of my songs.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

slim05
March 10th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I certainly hope this is not the kind of support that I can look forward to with Hoster. I am very pleased with this product so far but looking for a little help. It has now been 2 days after my post and no response regarding how to remove the background vocals off of my Karaoke cdg's that I am playing in Hoster.

I was also kind of wondering if this is something that the development team is looking at as an option.

I guess I will waite again for a response.

gduns - with the Lord
March 10th, 2004, 04:56 PM
to remove background vocals, you have to unplug one channel. I am supposing you are talking about on tracks that are duplexed. That is how a karaoke machine does it. It puts both I think the left channel out to both inputs and cancels the right channel.

slim05
March 10th, 2004, 05:28 PM
How do I tell if they are duplexed or not. I have listened now to just the Sound Choice CDG's that I have stripped and I still have all of my DK set to strip. I just know that I am hearing background vocals that I never heard before when using the CDG player I have been using.

I looked on the disks and I don't see the words duplexed or anything on the songs that I am talking about.

gduns - with the Lord
March 10th, 2004, 05:38 PM
usually they say on them they are duplexed.

But The way a karaoke machine removes them is to kill the channel that has the vocals on it, and routes both channels (mono) through both outputs. I do not know of a way to remove background vocals, because if they are meant to be in there, and are produced on both channels.

If you want your system to work just like a karaoke machine, You can do it the way I used to. I had a $50.00 vocopro mixer/switcher hooked in line with it (between it and the amp), so I could also switch in a deck if I wanted to. It will take out the vocals.

Hoster software will only play what is on the disk, It can't remove vocals.

mindonstrike
March 11th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Just grabbing one of my Sound Choice Star series disks, It reads both on the disk and the back of the jewel case "Stereo performance tracks" (for 1-8) and "vocal demonstration tracks" (for 9-16). In addition each track 9-16 reads "vocals right channel only" under the title.
Most other manufacturers will use a similiar scheme such as "instrumental tracks" and "with vocals".
I didn't find it on the SC but many manufacturers will use the term "multiplexed" to indicate that there are tracks with vocals on one channel.

And by the way what you are trying to get rid of is the demo vocals that are their to help you learn a song, and as gduns said "background vocals" are on both channels

slim05
March 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
First, I am playing track numbers 1 thru 8 that are not the /w/Vocals tracks on the CDG. Also the same track that I was playing in the CDG player. This is just very strange because I have been unaware that these background vocals even existed on some of my newer CDG's because I had never heard them before. Does anybody know if MTU is looking at make this option available to play the mono thru both chanells in the future.

I do have a Vocopro Mixer that has the mtplx option on it. Will this do the chanell routing that I need or will that only work on multiplex CDG's.

I apreciate the help I am new and this burning all these CDG's stinks. I just don't want to spend all this time stripping the CDG'S and then get to a show and go "ooh that sounds bad".

Thanks again

gduns - with the Lord
March 11th, 2004, 10:45 AM
that voco pro is all you need. it will do the same thing a karaoke machine will do.

slim05
March 11th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks to all for your help with this. I will try just ussing my mixer and go from there.

mindonstrike
March 14th, 2004, 07:35 AM
I'm sure providing a multiplex button is on their list, but no clue how far up the list it is since most professional KJ's don't bother with the vocalized tracks. Even most of those kinds of disks don't show the vocalized tracks in the database because most of us won't bother importing them (at least the old database-I don't have the upgrade yet).

gduns is correct if your mixer has a multiplex option (and your cables are plugged in correctly) that should do it however you don't want to do that more than you have to because in stereo some of the instruments are going to be split up to certain degrees on both channels.

Here's a hint if you hear vocals in both your speakers (while in stereo mode) then they are background vocals and you can't get rid of them, you can tone them down a little sometimes by adjusting the channel eq's.
If you only hear vocals in one speaker only then it is a multiplexed song.

songpony
March 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Some manufacturers don't provide two separate tracks for each song (a "demonstration" track that has the lead vocals included and a "performance" track that doesn't) - they just provide a single "multiplexed" version that you then have to remove the lead vocals from in order for the singer to sing on their own (Pro Hits and NuTech are examples). It would be nice if MTU would include the functionality in their Hoster program to remove these "right channel" vocals (when desired - some people actually prefer the vocals left on since it's more like "singing with the radio"). Is this in the works? If so, what is the schedule for it?