PDA

View Full Version : Building a KaraokePC for Home use - Is Hoster right for me?

clnilsen
March 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I have been doing some research on karaoke for home use, I'm not planning on doing any business work w/ this. I have been looking at Cavs machines, and many other things. The biggest advantage I see on these is that they use many different format disks.

Ultimately, I just want to be able to set up a machine for when freinds come over to use, w/o haveing to switch disks or go find disks, etc. It seems to me that when you have a party at your house, unless you're there every min. thats a good way to loose disks.

From looking at your website, it looks like I can build a Machine for home use that will allow me to use store bought CD+G format disks, that I can burn to a HD and play. It seems that at some point in the future I could use the SCD+G format buy using cav's program to revert them to regular CD+G onto my HD, and then whenever there is an application from MTU to read HD files then read those files to the MTU program.

Is the Hoster program what I would want to use at home, or Microstudio? Or both? I'm having a hard time discerning between what each program does and what would be best to use.

Any guidance woudl be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck

admin
March 5th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Chuck, here are the main differences between Microstudio and Hoster.
[list=1]
Stored Disc Format - Hoster allows importing your CDG disc tracks as compressed files. Using 128Kb WMA compression will typically reduce the file size 10:1, from 30MB-60MB down to 3MB-6MB. You can store more songs. Microstudio does not use compressiong, so each track will be 30MB-60MB in size.

Adding Songs to Play - Hoster allows you to add a new Singer's request while a song is playing. Microstudio only allows adding a song when not playing.

Finding a Song - Hoster uses the Access Database to store your imported songs. You can search for them by Brand-DiscID, BookID (that you select), Song name and Artist name. Microstudio only provides you the standard Windows "Open File" dialog box to go to a directory and manually find the song you want.

Import Database - Hoster includes a Database with over 196,700 song definitions by Brand-DiscID-Track. This will automatically fill in the Song and Artist names when you are importing. Microstudio has no database, so you must type in all the Song and Artist names yourself.

Key Change - Hoster includes our Keyrite Pro key changer that you can change on the fly while a singer is performing... if they want the key raised or lowered. Microstudio has no live or non-live key change.

Print SongBook - Hoster allows printing your SongBook of only the songs you have imported to the hard drive. You can select either by Song name or Artist name. Microstudio does not.

Play CDG Discs - Both Hoster and Microstudio allow playing a track from a CDG Karaoke disc in the CDR drive. However, Hoster allows you to pre-import them before singing, while Microstudio only plays them when you are ready to sing.

Dual Display - TV and Computer - Hoster and Microstudio both suport a dual display graphics card to run the Karaoke screen to an external monitor, and see your Playlist on the computer monitor.

Backup Discs - Hoster cannot write a disc. Microstudio does this very well, supporting Duplicate Disc and Custom Assembly to make your own discs with your favoriate songs. Microstudio has a "CDG Disc" home backup and practice focus, while Hoster's focus is "Play from the hard drive" at live performances.

Price - Hoster 2.124 is $249.95. Microstudio is $39.95.
[/list=1]

There probably are other differences, and maybe other Hoster users will add their comments to this Thread.

:c :c :c We are adding some major upgrades to Hoster 2.2 and 3.0 expected to release by early Summer. These will be FREE upgrades to Hoster 2.1xx owners (will not be added to Microstudio). These include:
[list=1]
Import CDG files on the hard drive - We have many Microstudio users who want to upgrade to Hoster, but don't want to reimport their songs. These will import as KMA files.

Audio CD Tracks Import and Play - These will import as WMA compressed files, stored in a new WMA database, print your "DJ SongBook" separate from your "KJ SongBook" and add them to the Playlist with Karaoke KMA type files to play in any mix.

MP3 Play - Using a Windows File Open dialog box, you can add MP3 audio files stored on your hard drive to the Playlist, with other type files. We will not provide importing this format, as the WMA audio compressor gives superior audio quality.

MP3+G Play - Using a Windows File Open dialog box, you can add MP3+G audio files stored on your hard drive to the Playlist, with other type files. We will not provide importing this format.

VCD Tracks Import and Play - This will save the Tracks on the hard drive. Initially we expect to allow adding VCD type files to the Playlist with the Open File dialog box. We will use a compression format that will reduce the size of these audio/video files.

DVD Tracks Import and Play - This will save the Tracks on the hard drive. Initially we expect to allow adding DVD type files to the Playlist with the Open File dialog box. We will use a compression format that will reduce the size of these audio/video files.
[/list=1]
I hope this helps you with your decision. If you have any specific questions, you can post them here, or call MTU Sales and Doug will be glad to help you. :c

lmcmains
March 5th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Chuck

I think Hoster is the way to go. I am a part time KJ. I do about 2 shows per month on the average. In the summer I do a lot of private parties. I used to use discs. and a player. I built my own computer just for Karaoke. It is easy to use the program. I keep it set up at home when I'm not doing a show. I have a finished garage and I have moniter's mounted on three walls. We have friends over have a cook out, do a little karaoke, get in the hot tub for awhile. The thing with Hoster you can load a list of songs to sing and not have to touch the computer. You can set it on auto and just go from singer to singer. I think you would love Hoster.

clnilsen
March 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Hmm, Hoster does sound like the way to go. One more question then, from looking at the Hoster PC's.

So how do you get 2 Microphones into the PC? Is it as simple as using a "Y" style plug 2 microphones into single soundcard microphone jack?

mlepine
March 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Quote by Admin:

MP3+G Play - Using a Windows File Open dialog box, you can add MP3+G audio files stored on your hard drive to the Playlist, with other type files. We will not provide importing this format.

Add my name on the list for new Hoster customer when this option is available!

GREAT NEWS!!

Beavis
March 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
get two sound cards ! they can even be USB sound cards

actually your pre-amp should have 2 microphones out !