PDA

View Full Version : Singers Karaoke Books

lmcmains
March 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
I still use my Karaoke books, I have seven (7) printed listed by Artist and (7) printed) by song title. The singer fills out the request form with their name, name of song and book ID. Then I keep their slips from show to show and give them back to them the start of each Karaoke show. Is this how most of you do it also?

CochrellGary
March 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
Lockman,

The proceedure you use is exactly what my wife and I do at our gigs, but let me tell you what we do that is a little different and has an impact you won't believe.

We have taken the singers returned requests and printed them individually on a fresh request slip, singer's name, song title and track number. Now you can read the request slip and know that all the entries are correct. Next the singers stack of printed requests slips are put into a 4x5 inch clear plastic zip lock bag. On the outside of the bag we have placed a small address label with the singer's name on the label. The plastic bag makes for easy storage, indexing and retrevial by my wife and for handing out at the next gig. The plastic bag helps to keep water, beer and soda etc. off of the slips while the singer has them at their table. This proceedure is only done for our "regulars".

Here is the effect this has had. The first night we did this, our regulars lit up like a Christmas tree. Now on each gig night you can almost see our regulars strut up to the KJ desk to get "their own" special package. There isn't a night that goes by that a non-regular singer will come up to the desk and ask "How do I get my request slips printed up like those other people?" Our response is, become a regular at our show and we will put a package together for you. Many will say that same night, I'll be one of your regulars, and they do come back.

Just this little added extra has made our regulars feel special, not just another karaoke singer. It has also brought in new singers who quickly become a regular. You might want to give it a try. It's a little work initially, but once it's in place it's easy to maintain (if you have a wife who is handy with a computer and can type:g ).

Gary

flipper
March 2nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
Gary -

Thank You For Innovative Idea

I never thought of using zip-locs to store them in. I have been doing it with a 4 x 6 Index file box Tabbed with each regular singers name. The bag idea is much easier and I like that it keeps the slips from getting wet and damaged.

I'm gonna do the changeover this week!

Scott

lmcmains
March 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Gary
Do you put all the singers songs on a card? And you keep a copy of it also and they just come up and tell you which song they want to sing? I like the idea of the zip lock bag.

Thanks

Larry

CochrellGary
March 3rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Larry,

Each singer's song request is typed on a seperate request slip. The singers can then take the packet to their table and sort them, choose their next song, throw away what they don't want etc. We allow them to bring up as many requests slips as they want at one time, just have them in the order they want to sing their songs. We keep all requests slips turned in and during the last rotation my wife sorts them and get them ready to put back into the plastic bag. As the singers leave for the evening they drop off their zip lock baggie at the KJ desk and we insert the collected request slips.

All this works smoothly because there is two of us working the show. My wife keeps the rotation in order and walks around to smooze the audience. I am free to banter with the crowd and the singers over the mic and keep tabs on the mixer board and the computer.

Hope the info helps. If I can be of any further help, just ask.:)

Gary