PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor S-video to composite

Stillwater
February 26th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I am attempting to convert the S-video output from my video card to composite video.
Scenario 1: The dual monitor cards works perfectly if I plug the S-video cable directly into a TV. I purchased the Radio Shack 15-1172 4-way distribution amp to convert the video. If I first connect a S-video cable directly to the TV, power on the computer, everything works perfectly. Then if I move the cable from the S-video TV input to the distribution amp. which converts the video signal to a composite output, and run a RCA cable from the Video DA to the TV, the dual monitor video output works with the TV receiving a composite video signal.
Scenario 2: If I would plug the S-video cable into the Radio Shack amplifier, run a composite video cable to the TV and then turn on the computer, the computer doesn't recognize that the cable is connected and the dual monitor output does not work.
Has anybody used this Radio Shack video Amplifier successfully or are the other solutions?

Beavis
February 26th, 2004, 10:41 PM
what video card are you using ?

hope if its a ATI card that it is built by ATI not powered by ATI!!

nreel
February 27th, 2004, 04:12 AM
I'm speculating:

I think that, because your Radio Shack Distribution Amp is NOT powered independently, your Computer does NOT recognize it.

I use a Radio Shack S-Video-->RCA Adapter Cable and an RF Modulator depending on need.

Sometimes I use an RCA "Y" connection when I need to go to TWO TV's with RCA Inputs.

Sometimes I use the RCA-->RF Modulator-->COAX OUT to run TWO TV's with COAX Inputs.

With the COAX scenario, because the RF Modulator IS Independently Powered, my Computer recognizes a second connection even if I DO NOT have the TV's in the circuit.

So, this is the basis for my conclusion concerning your Computer VIDEO Card NOT recognizing a second connection...NO POWER on your Radio Shack splitter when Booting.

If you really want to amplify the signal using what you have, I would buy an RF Modulator and S-Video-->RCA cable.

Computer S-Video OUT-->RCA RF Mod Video IN-->RCA RF Mod Video OUT-->Radio Shack Distribution Amp Video IN-->Radio Shack Distribution Amp Video OUTS-->RCA Video IN of TV's.

Hope this helps,
Norm

Stillwater
February 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I agree that the radio shack video DA is not loading the computer video output so the computer doesn't know I have the S-video output connected. The RF adapter may work but the clubs I work in distribute their video in composite, not RF. some of the monitors don't have tuners. I will keep searching.
Thanks anyway.

gduns - with the Lord
February 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I am using a RCA switcher/rf modulator. Got it from Best buy fp $49.00

it will switch 4 sources. But for your purposes the video card will see it, and turn on even if the monitor it is hooked to isnt on. It will change from s-video to rca, s-video, and rf all at the same time. I use it to run composite monitor and a tv when needed.

nreel
February 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Yes, I see my flow chart didn't quite explain how to have a RF Modulator in the circuit WITHOUT actually using the RF Modulator, which only has a COAX OUT, to go to your RS RCA IN/OUT Amp/Splitter.

I will try to explain how I do it, but GDUNS component would work better.

I have an RCA "Y" connector...MALE-To-TWO FEMALES. I plug THE MALE end, of the "Y" into the RCA FEMALE Video INPUT of the RF Modulator, which leaves me with the TWO RCA FEMALE ends hanging from the RF Modulator.

Now, I take the S-Video-To-Single MALE RCA Adapter, which the S-Video is plugged into your Computer's Video Card, and plug the MALE RCA end into ONE of the RCA FEMALE "Y" connectors. This completes the Hook-up from your Video Card to the RF Modulator so that the computer will recognize a second Display.

Now, use an RCA Male-To-Male to bridge between the last FEMALE RCA "Y" connector and the RCA INPUT of your RS Amp/Splitter.

Either way, I suspect you want to Amplify your signal. Neither one of these Rf Modulators amplify a signal...all they do is split.

You are looking for a way that your Computer will recognize the RS amp/splitter in your 2nd configuration.

You will have to put something between YOUR component and the Video Card to use Scenario #2, and, the RF Modulator does this very easily.

flipper
February 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I believe the RF Modulator that dguns is referring to is the exact one that I use. The link below will take you to the CRF940 RF Modulator built by RCA. It has worked perfectly for my laptop w/s-video out and multiple TV's. It allows for RCA, Coax, and S-Video connections.

Here's the Link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826216013&skuId=5481481&type=product

Just click on view more photos and it will give you front and back views of the product.

hope this helps

Flipper