PDA

View Full Version : Hoster crashes at least once per show

sevekj
February 13th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I just started hosting with Hoster this week beginning Sunday, I am getting used to it and for the most part I love the operation, except for when it crashes right in the middle of someone singing, talk about evil eyes and hisses towards the KJ!!
Any way, this is what happens. The song abrubtly stops and the windows message comes up that XP has encountered a problem running hoster and has shut down, and the choices send or don't send error report buttons are ready for selection, at home I normally send the error reports most of the time. I can not connect to the internet at this time with the show computer it is installed at the lounge where I play, so I can not send the error report or recieve updates. Is this what I need, update of some kind or is there another fix?

Also I discovered how to recover my playlist after it shutsdown, I reopen hoster and select open new, it does a brief search and the list shows up, that has saved my life, thanks for that feature at least.

Seve

gduns - with the Lord
February 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Please, Don't get discouraged. they are trying to be able to release the latest code, and they have fixed that.

I was having that problem, I forgot what I was that I was doing to cause it to do that. If you have anything running in the background, turn it off. also make sure the auto detect disk is turned off.

anything that comes up in the taskbar, that you dont need to run, turn it off. especially a anti-virus program.

mindonstrike
February 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Try going to control panel/administrative tools and check the event logs they might give you an idea about whats happening just before the crash.

I've only had two crashes in 6 months and while both reasons are easily avoided they are being addressed in the upgrade I believe.

Sam

AllStar
February 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Re: Crashing

I have been running Hoster (2.014) now for a couple of months and never had a single crash. I run a 2.4GHz Pentium, 120MB HDD with 1GB ram, but and here's the big one...........
My Hoster machine is for Hoster use only. Sure, I have Excel (to find songs) and Windows Media Player (fill music) and run them all together at the same time without any problems what so ever. A little secret though, I run WIndows 2000, no fancy ME or XP.
By keeping Windows 2000 automatically updated, I have a clean crash free system.

I feel that Hoster is a great piece of programming, and the root cause of most (take note, "most") crashes are Windows based, not Hoster based.

Thanks MTU, for a great product!

admin
February 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Come on!!! This is not fair sevekj! :e

Did you forget to tell everyone here that you built your computer from scratch, and many MTU Forum members worked hard to help you understand why it wouldn't even work! :e

Now, here you are in another post again saying HOSTER IS CRASHING! :f NOT TRUE! Your computer is crashing. If you don't like it, get an expert to rebuild it for you, but please don't say it is Hoster's fault. :w

Forgive me for being protective of Hoster, but MANY folks read these Forums and the truth needs to be said here.

For everyone... Hoster 2.124 is now available. Check out our home page (http://mtu.com/) for the links to order your upgrade or a new copy.

sevekj
February 18th, 2004, 08:36 PM
So I don't know what I am talking about, fine I get it.
I think hoster is great too!!
I am not slamming hoster, it is the way it is crashing because of XP or my computer and bailing wire so don't take my experience with it so personally I am just letting you know that it is crashing and I will be reporting it as it comes closer to telling me exactly why. I have noticed though, nothing else crashes.
And this computer was built specifically for hoster only.
HD#2 only has the music files and HD#1 the OS and hoster.

I am being nice, not mean.

Just thought I would let you know.

Seve

sevekj
February 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I remember reading about Hoster new versions being made for XP only, is this correct?

sevekj
February 18th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by gduns
Please, Don't get discouraged. they are trying to be able to release the latest code, and they have fixed that.

I was having that problem, I forgot what I was that I was doing to cause it to do that. If you have anything running in the background, turn it off. also make sure the auto detect disk is turned off.

anything that comes up in the taskbar, that you dont need to run, turn it off. especially a anti-virus program.

I don't have the luxury of getting to my show computer all of the time, so I try a few things at home first. I have not been able to find anything about auto detect disk. So maybe I need some ed. on this, can you clear this up for me.
Never discouraged, just another hurdle to a better show.
Thanks,

Seve

sevekj
February 18th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by admin
Come on!!! This is not fair sevekj! :e

Did you forget to tell everyone here that you built your computer from scratch, and many MTU Forum members worked hard to help you understand why it wouldn't even work! :e

Now, here you are in another post again saying HOSTER IS CRASHING! :f NOT TRUE! Your computer is crashing. If you don't like it, get an expert to rebuild it for you, but please don't say it is Hoster's fault. :w

Forgive me for being protective of Hoster, but MANY folks read these Forums and the truth needs to be said here.

For everyone... Hoster 2.124 is now available. Check out our home page (http://mtu.com/) for the links to order your upgrade or a new copy.
Let's start over, I don't need anyone upset at me, I am just letting you know what is happening.
Yes, I have admitted to building the computer myself, I think I did a good job for not having any experience or outside help. All new parts, power supply cabinet, motherboard, harddrives,video card, cdrwrom,mini flat screen, keyboard, mouse. I did my home work well before even buying hoster, I built my computer just for hoster after a few months of reading this forum and checking out the MTU competition I chose MTU, so now after all of the investment and all of the work put in to get hoster show ready, I have plenty of reason to be upset if it does not work, right!!
But, truthfully I am not upset, I just want it to work right because from what I have read and what you tell me it does and will, all I have to do is write in this forum and tell you what I am experiencing and we could, through everyone elses experiences and knowledge find a work around or whatever. I know I have been taken wrong in past threads and posts, and I am sorry for that. I just want to be able to post what is happening and maybe get a fix or solution. Heck I want to be able to tell everyone how great this program is, but for now I am being cautious untill I get this bug worked out. If I have offended again still then I don't know what else to do.
I appreciate all the support, thanks.

Seve