PDA

View Full Version : A slow Plextor

Dantastic
February 5th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I have a pentium 4 2.53 gig, 512 mb memory running xp pro ver 2002 service pack 1. I have microstudio 2.517 and a Plextor PW-W4012TA. Burning a CD+G is an issue. It starts reading 14 min reads 316 mb, 20 min reads 348 mb, 34 min 387 mb after a hour I terminate it. I have read the suggestions and nothing has helped so far. I had 51 processes running but now have 27 and that didn't help either. Can any help me? Dan
I just ran the directx diag and it seems like I have some bad files with direct play 8. I tried to update at microsoft web site but I'm having problem downloading the update. I will keep trying thou.

Dantastic
February 6th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Well I downloaded Directx 9 from microsoft and my read rate still slows down after 5 min. Up to 5 min my read rate is 32 mb/min. At 10 min it slows down to 30mb/min, at 15 min it's 14mb/min, 20 min it's 10mb/min and at 25 min it's 2mb/min. I have no clue on what to do next.

Dantastic
February 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Noone seems to be answering my question. Lots of viewing thou. Is that because I have no hope?

gduns - with the Lord
February 9th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Dan,
I dont know why anyone else hasn't answered yet, I seem to be the only one on here answering people.

My question I have, is are you having problem reading all cd's, or just a certain track. or a certain brand. Be more specific as to what it happening, and I will try to help.

Which plextor are you using, and waht are you trying to read.

Dantastic
February 9th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Trying to copy CD+G. It seems after 5 min of reading the disk it slows down to a stop. I just copied a music cd in 8 min from start to finish.

Dantastic
February 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Burning a music disk is good. Only 8 min star to finish. But a CD+G is different story. After 5 min of reading it slow down to a stop. Playing the same disk is no problem.

gduns - with the Lord
February 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Network Tab: The file C:\DXSDK\Bin\DXUtils\dp8sim.dll, needed for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider (Network Simulator)', is missing. You should reinstall DirectX.

Dan,
Did you not read your dxdiag file before you sent it. Read the quote from it above.

also Direct x should be version 9.0b I would suggest you download direct x 9.0b From Microsoft and download it, and install. That will probably fix everything........ and then some.

Please let me know. Do read the file you sent me. It does explain a lot.

MTUSUPPORT
February 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM
What is the speed set at that your are trying to burn at? You can check this in Microstudio under the Speed Selection on the Drives Menu at the top. I would click the check beside Auto and try it again.

What I would recommend is for you to run all of the Windows Updates. It sounds as if your computer is not updated, and is missing some files.

You can do this by connecting to the Internet, clicking the Start Menu\Windows Update.

Make sure that you do all of the updates, or you will not know if this will solve the problem or not.

It sounds that you have computer problems, this is the reason that your drive seems to be slowing down so much.

Dantastic
February 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied to help. I have formatted my hard and started over. I has help but it still takes over 20 min to read a CDG disk I'm thinking it's my plextor drive. It plays the disk fine. To copy an audio cd it take about 4 min.

MTUSUPPORT
February 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Try it on Different Karaoke CD's also. It seems that if this happens on all discs then make sure that they are not copies. I know that copies will do this sometimes, depending on how many copies down the line the copies are that you are actually using.

handyman319
March 2nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
This may help if you have a Plextor USB external drive. Most of the plextor drives are USB 2.0. Unfortunately most computers still have the standard USB 1.1 interface. I just bought a new Pentium 4 HP with a 2.66 ghz processor and it did not have USB 2.0!
I bought a 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card on eBay for less than $15.00 including postage. A USB 2.0 divice will work with a USB 1.1 interface but will run up to 70 times slower!
With the new USB card I burned a composite of 20 of my favorite songs on one disk and it took about 6 minutes to burn. Of course it took much longer to pick all the songs from about 15 different discs.
One more thing: The Microstudio has a play mode so you can check your newly burned disc right after you burn it. You can even use your computer and the Microstudio software to play any CD+G Karaoke discs. Just add a microphone and your computer is a Karaoke Machine!

flipper
March 2nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
Dantastic -

I had the exact same problem you were experiencing, and Handyman's post is exactly what solved the problem.

I had a usb 1 computer with a usb 2 burner. $20 fix did it and I now burn 15 songs in about 2 min. (not including import time) which is another 3-4 min.

hope it is what fixes your problems.

Scott

MTUSUPPORT
March 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Dantastics drive seems to be an Internal IDE drive from the Model Number that he posted.

The only other thing that I can think of that can cause this is if there is another drive plugged into the Same IDE cable as the Plextor. If you have another drive that is attached to the same cable as the Plextor, then try unhooking this drive and then see if that works.

The other thing to try is make sure to update the Motherboard drivers from the computer manufacturer. The chipset drivers control the IDE interfaces on the motherboard, and can fix this issue also.

Flake4840
June 30th, 2004, 08:40 PM
http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=26679#post26679

gduns - with the Lord
July 1st, 2004, 07:24 AM
Also check to make sure you are in the dma mode rather than the pio mode on the IDE controller. that speeds it up 500%