PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Hoster and custom CDG compiled discs

1dwer
February 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Wow' this is my first time ever to post anything and...
Iv'e been reading some of the posts, and I must say I can't believe all the problems that different users come up against. I was thinking of purchasing a laptop to run my show and now I'm not so sure. Maybe someone can help or convince me I'm wrong.

I don't know where to start...Oh' yeah, what about discs that Iv'e copied and made compilations of,...you know, I've taken karaoke tracks from various cdg's and made single a disc to save space in my pioneer 300 player. For Instance, I had a few discs with only 4 tracks on them and mixed them with other tracks. On a few of them I ended up with over 20 tracks on 1 disc. Now, will I have trouble trying to transfer them to a laptop?

Will I have trouble transferring 'any' copied disc? They are from various brand names.

Also is it going to take me weeks or months to transfer my discs? Iv'e got over 700 discs, that includes discs for DJ music as well. Anyway IF the "COPIED DISCS" c a n be transferred to the laptop, could you tell me what the minimum requirements should be for running a DJ/KJ show from a laptop, and maybe a rough idea of the price.

Thanks, I'm finding this all very exciting and informative. sorry this is so lengthy. regards, 1dwer:?

ltproductions
February 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Hi 1dwer,
First of all I believe you're talking about the software called "Hoster", so you are posting in the wrong forum. This one's for the Karaoke Pro Workstation which is used to create your own karaoke songs from scratch. You need to post in the Hoster forum or look through the existing posts to find an answer to your questions. Hope this helps!:w

Garry A. Leslie
February 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Hello 1dwer,
OK your post should be in Hoster, but just a thought.
Using Hoster is easy if you are transferring manufacturer's discs, but on your own conpilations obviously there is no database to refer to, so all your information will need to be typed into the artist and song title boxes. and yes it is a pain in the neck.
Garry

admin
February 20th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by 1dwer
Wow' this is my first time ever to post anything and...
Iv'e been reading some of the posts, and I must say I can't believe all the problems that different users come up against. I was thinking of purchasing a laptop to run my show and now I'm not so sure. Maybe someone can help or convince me I'm wrong.

ADMIN ANSWER: We have far more users who never have any problems, so don't get discouraged. For example, if you try to build your own computer as sevekj did, you will run into reliabilty problems and your computer (and thus Hoster) will crash. Stick to the tried and true and things work great!

I don't know where to start...Oh' yeah, what about discs that Iv'e copied and made compilations of,...you know, I've taken karaoke tracks from various cdg's and made single a disc to save space in my pioneer 300 player. For Instance, I had a few discs with only 4 tracks on them and mixed them with other tracks. On a few of them I ended up with over 20 tracks on 1 disc. Now, will I have trouble trying to transfer them to a laptop?

ADMIN ANSWER: Hoster includes a database of Brand-DiscID-Tracks to fill in the Song and Artist name fields for you. However, since you have done custom complied discs, these are not "standard Brands". You will have to type in each song and artist name for your custom tracks. Conversely, if you know the original tracks you want, you can use your original Brand Discs and Hoster will auto fill in the fields for you. :w

Will I have trouble transferring 'any' copied disc? They are from various brand names.

ADMIN ANSWER: I'm not sure what 'any' means. If they are standard Brand discs, we probably have them covered. Custom, see above paragraph.

Also is it going to take me weeks or months to transfer my discs? Iv'e got over 700 discs, that includes discs for DJ music as well.

ADMIN ANSWER: to import will take some time. Using a fast CDR drive is the best way to reduce the time. I'd say you'll have the job done in weeks if you invest the time at night and on weekends. Our 52x IDE or USB drive is the fastest available. However, there can be problems with some USB cards plugged into laptop computers. Read this FAQ Center Article (http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=61&c=1).

Anyway IF the "COPIED DISCS" c a n be transferred to the laptop, could you tell me what the minimum requirements should be for running a DJ/KJ show from a laptop, and maybe a rough idea of the price.

ADMIN ANSWER: Not to get too commercial, MTU offers two ready to use Hoster computers. Our Laptop is $2630, and our Hoster Portable PC is $1675. You can read about them from our Home page (http://www.mtu.com/).

Thanks, I'm finding this all very exciting and informative. sorry this is so lengthy. regards, 1dwer:?
As you can see we have an extremely active and supportive community Forum here. Your questions are all valid. Don't be afraid to ask.

Also, sometimes problems are solved, but the Threads never get the "closing answer". Folks just forget to say... "Oh yeah, MTU or xyz in the posts above helped me solve this and the problem was...." We don't leave a problem long, if you post it here and give us sufficient detail. You can see the more detail someone initially posts, the faster they get an answer. Gosh... we just haven't developed that ability to read minds from a written post with no facts. :e But, we'll keep trying. :g

Oh yes, I moved your thread to the Hoster Help Forum where it will be seen by all. :w