PDA

View Full Version : upgrade

edmcgeemusic
February 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
I understand there is a new version coming out.
1. If you purchase it now, is there a free upgrade to the new version?
2. Is there a two system license so you can put a second copy on your backup computer.(gotta have backups :))

thanks for the help.

eddie

admin
February 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM
If you purchase the Hoster2100n part for $249.95, which only MTU Sales can order for you at this time, you will now receive 2.014, and then receive 2.121 (expected release version) when it is released. We are very close. We hope to have the final beta version out for testing tomorrow AM.

We do not have a 2-copy special. You would need to purchase 2 separate copies.

However, we understand the need for a backup of the same version. Thus, we are working on a way to allow you to transfer your Hoster to another computer if you ever need to. Your prior installed copy (theoretically on the failed computer) will cease to run in 15 days. We are working on this right now.

ADMIN NOTE: You can now (mid February 2004) install Hoster on 2 computers
for SHOW and BACKUP. You can also install Karaoke Home Producer on 2 computers for use.

sevekj
February 5th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I am currently importing my CD's to hoster in a machine I am installing at the Lounge where I have a seven day a week show at, I do not anticipate removing my computer from that location unless it breaks which I hope does never happen, but I know someday It will or could next week. I have spent nearly a month importing and I never want to do it again, so I will be making a backup of the music and data base which I find to be difficult to manipulate with my current skills. I have a computer at home that I wish Hoster would work in so that I could maintain and correct and backup stuff without having to disturb the "working Hoster computer", by that I mean having to remove the NIC adapter and install it on the other computer just to get hoster to work. I wish you could write into the program a date sensative trip mechanism that would render the program useless to each end user specific to each end user with the agreement that they would have to access the internet by a certain date and enter the appropriate code to recertify for another extended period. Never mind all of this I don't know what I am talking about I was just trying to lay down an Idea. I need two computers for hoster to work on, one for the show and one to do maintainance with, and in the future If I do decide to invest more in MTU and get another hoster for my home computer, I want my music to remain interchangeable between the two computers, I was reading one of the threads that sounded like this may become a problem due to your security enforcement efforts in your program. Which I applaude but it makes it difficult to do what I am talking about doing with my situation, I think I would not be the only one with this dilemna.
Ideas Please,

Seve

flipper
February 5th, 2004, 01:42 PM
sevekj

If you need to secure a backup of your music why not purchase an external Hard Drive with sufficient storage space to back up your entire library. Then purchase a second copy of Hoster for your home computer. You will have your backup needs met as well as being able to work with your database at home.

Flipper

edmcgeemusic
February 5th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I have to say it is odd that your microstudio has a license for three machines, and hoster does not. Also, an other karaoke software company will let you load it on your main computer, your back up and your home computer.

just a thought.

eddie

admin
February 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sevekj
I am currently importing my CD's to hoster in a machine I am installing at the Lounge where I have a seven day a week show at, I do not anticipate removing my computer from that location unless it breaks which I hope does never happen, but I know someday It will or could next week. I have spent nearly a month importing and I never want to do it again, so I will be making a backup of the music and data base which I find to be difficult to manipulate with my current skills. I have a computer at home that I wish Hoster would work in so that I could maintain and correct and backup stuff without having to disturb the "working Hoster computer", by that I mean having to remove the NIC adapter and install it on the other computer just to get hoster to work. I wish you could write into the program a date sensative trip mechanism that would render the program useless to each end user specific to each end user with the agreement that they would have to access the internet by a certain date and enter the appropriate code to recertify for another extended period. Never mind all of this I don't know what I am talking about I was just trying to lay down an Idea. I need two computers for hoster to work on, one for the show and one to do maintainance with, and in the future If I do decide to invest more in MTU and get another hoster for my home computer, I want my music to remain interchangeable between the two computers, I was reading one of the threads that sounded like this may become a problem due to your security enforcement efforts in your program. Which I applaude but it makes it difficult to do what I am talking about doing with my situation, I think I would not be the only one with this dilemna.
Ideas Please,

Seve

There are reasons we are securing each copy of Hoster in use.

We are considering all user "scenerios" of Hoster. However, you have a "legal" use, while we must insure the Crack site posters can't break our security and put us out of business.

To the poster above, Microstudio is NOT Hoster. They will never have the same feature set and Hoster's future is VERY different than Microstudio's. One day, there will be no more CDG discs! :e

sevekj
February 7th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by flipper
sevekj

If you need to secure a backup of your music why not purchase an external Hard Drive with sufficient storage space to back up your entire library. Then purchase a second copy of Hoster for your home computer. You will have your backup needs met as well as being able to work with your database at home.

Flipper

I figure it this way, I already paid for the program, why can't I use it as I want to as long as I am not selling it or making illegal copies or giving up a registration code. I just want MY machines to work.
Here is an analogy. I would not go out and buy an Identical vehical to the one I already have, since I can only drive one at a time, plus having the expense of 2 identical cars, it is not sensible.
I know there is an agreement here on this program, I am just asking for a little leeway, maybe a 2 machine limit with one low price, I would think most pro KJ's would agree, they need to preview and maintain their collections without disturbing the working rig am I right and can we get some consensus on this subject.

Thanks for the tip and responses.

Seve

edmcgeemusic
February 8th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I agree. We really need a two license agreement.

The honest customer is the one who suffers from all this theft protection.

eddie

mlepine
February 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by flipper
sevekj

Flipper

I may also suggest, if you're using the new Plextor DVD burner you might want to burn your file on a DVD? With 4.7 gig of space that should handle a bunch of songs!

You can now buy an external USB 2 box that you could use to install an internal HD or a CD-Rom/DVD drive.

Regards

mgrowolski
February 14th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I agree to that there should be a two licence agreement at least that ay we will have a complete back up on a second hard drive should the system fail for some reason so come MTU be fair and offer a second licence at a cheaper rate for us honest enough to buy your software in the first place

gduns - with the Lord
February 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
mgrowolski ,
You are absolutely right, for $500.00 they probably will grant a 2 license agreement.

Call Microsoft and tell the you think you should have a 2 license agreement on xp, or autocad, or microstation, Pcdj, pckj.........

They love to laugh at people trying to get something for nothing.

If you were a carpenter....... would you built 2 houses for someone that only lives in one at a time. a summer house and a winter house.

I am not mtu or speaking for Mtu but I work with programming everyday. Most people think of software as a plastic Disk and as serial number. and Yes after it is produced that is what it is unless someone it continually trying to improve it and add the new features someone wants added.

Programmers arent cheap, and Not being in the business you can't even Imagine the expense that goes into a program like this. If you noticed this program used to sell for $450.00....... they reduced the price dramatically after they recapped their costs (can you see microsoft doing that).

Do you really expect a free copy of a product, a company has cut the price in half, get real

mgrowolski
February 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM
GDUNS
Hey now come on I was not asking for a free second licence only trying to see if they would give a discount on a second one that's all. And yes I do know what programmers cost these days my brother is one.
As for microsoft well they do a free second licence for XP that allows you to put it on two machines you really must get your facts in order still thank you for your kind comments I really appreciate them and I hope that you feel my reply is not to cutting just stating facts [

gduns - with the Lord
February 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Mike,
Please tell me how to get two more free licenses for xp I have it on 2 computers (2 separate licenses)and would love to put it on the other 2.

I tried that with the first one, and they told me I would have to buy another copy..:e

KInda makes me think.... I have a blazer, Think chevy would give me another blazer at half off heck I can't drive but one at a time:g

gduns - with the Lord
February 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM
mgrowolski,

Sorry if I was sounding Brash on this, But most people dont think of software as a real commodity. they think of it as someones idea's that just appeared on day, and they are selling it.

Fact is it cost's as much in some cases to build a good program as it does to create any good product. Most people look at it and music as far as that is concerned, like something that is insignificant.

I have been doing beta testing for hoster, for a while now, and believe me there is not a harder working bunch That I have ever met. They dont stop after 9-5 on weekdays, I have tested 3 diffrent versions on a weekend.

There is a lot of work going into hoster, don't every think this was written overnight. Frankly I dont know how they sell it so cheep!

The competition isnt as inexpensive, it doesnt do what hoster does and at this point is very buggy. The reason thet MTU is taking its time to get out this new version, is because they will NOT release it with a known BUG. Something I dont think anyone else does.

admin
February 16th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by mgrowolski
I agree to that there should be a two licence agreement at least that ay we will have a complete back up on a second hard drive should the system fail for some reason so come MTU be fair and offer a second licence at a cheaper rate for us honest enough to buy your software in the first place

In spite of your "honest" thinking, you have overlooked a VERY IMPORTANT point. We have MANY users who want to run multiple copies for different shows at the same time! Thus, it is not possible to simply offer your request.

Afterall, the name HOSTER was chosen to indicate the product is for... professional Hosts! We will not discount multiple copies. If you need to run multiple copies, you need to buy multiple copies.

As soon as we release 2.124, hopefully to final testing today, we will start on a way to run your Registration Code and Hoster on a second machine for 15 days, when your show computer fails. This is the way we are going to solve the failure problem.

We have future plans that would also reveal that your request is infeasible. Trust us. We absolutely need and WANT your feedback as to your needs... and the reasoning behind your request. However, please do not expect us to always implement your suggestion. Suggestions are always listened to, and evaluated. Many times we have done exactly what a single user has suggested.

However, in the case of Hoster and failure backup, this is a VERY complex subject. Foremost, you MUST be able to use the same Registration Code or future plans will fail. We will have a solution in Hoster 2.2 or 2.3, which will follow 2.1 rather quickly. Heck, we're tired of all this security too! We want to get on with other major features. :g

Beavis
February 16th, 2004, 01:48 PM
how about a .KMA conversion tool to import cd-g (that would run on any computer) ??

Then i could do all the converting to .kma on my office computer, then network it down to my karaoke computer ??

This will also give me a backup copy of my .kma files in case my hard drive fails???

trust me hard drives do fail !! my register system hard drive failed on a friday night at 9pm (packed house)
:m :m :m

gduns - with the Lord
February 16th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I suggest 2 things, I build industrial computers and see problems all day long.

1) buy a usb hard drive and copy all your kma files to it for a backup.

2) Keep as small c: (system drive with nothing but an os, and your programs on it.

3) get Norton Ghost 2003 and make an image of your c: drive to your d: drive.

If you do this, and the system drive fails, you can reimage your hard drive and be back up in less than 10 minutes.

I would make a backup on a weekly basis, it takes me 10-15 minutes to do this.

This will insure you, not to miss a gig. I even keep a copy of the backup on the usb drice in case the D: drive fails.

I thought you were the one that posted in another thread talking about how great your promise raid system was? did it fail :r

kedmison
February 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
This suggestion is sort of created from several. One, offer Hoster with or without the data base. I think I saw somewhere that the Hoster program is not that big in itself. I for one don't need the data base. Second, I wouldn't mind if Hoster didn't play patrons CD's,...AS, long as you could make Micro Studio with a key change and be able to switch back and forth between Hoster and Micro Studio without Micro Studio cutting off.

The only problem I have ever encountered with Hoster is when playing patrons discs. Sometimes it will sometimes it won't. However very few times has their disc not played in Micro Studio. Maybe the new upgrade will take care of this.

Kelly

gduns - with the Lord
February 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM
the only patrons disks I havent been able to play is one that is badly scratched, has mediaclog, or the last track on a multisession disk.

Microstudio will also not play a mediaclog, or a badly scratched disk.

I have a cdg player with a videoswitch, because #1 I wont put a badly scratched disk in my plextor. and 2 it will play anything. and if there is a catastrophic failure, you can finish your show.

I don't see where the size of hoster would make any difference in how it works.

kedmison
February 16th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I agree. I have found badly scratched discs won't play period. I suppose what I was referring to or at least thinking was that without the data base issues that maybe there would be even less problems with Hoster that there is. Of course mind you I haven't had any real problems. (And I cringe evry time I say that or find wood to nock on.):w

Kelly

Beavis
February 16th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I thought you were the one that posted in another thread talking about how great your promise raid system was? did it fail :r [/B][/QUOTE]

i did not say it was on my karaoke computer !!mywhole point is i dont want to sit in my restaurant and load all my up comming cd-g's !!! i have a back up of my .KMA's.

i have just built a new computer for hoster and loaded my backup .kma's and everything works perfect !!

point again:::::: I dont want to load my disc's in my restaurant !!! im LAZY !!

sevekj
February 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by gduns
mgrowolski ,
You are absolutely right, for $500.00 they probably will grant a 2 license agreement.

Call Microsoft and tell the you think you should have a 2 license agreement on xp, or autocad, or microstation, Pcdj, pckj.........

They love to laugh at people trying to get something for nothing.

If you were a carpenter....... would you built 2 houses for someone that only lives in one at a time. a summer house and a winter house.

I am not mtu or speaking for Mtu but I work with programming everyday. Most people think of software as a plastic Disk and as serial number. and Yes after it is produced that is what it is unless someone it continually trying to improve it and add the new features someone wants added.

Programmers arent cheap, and Not being in the business you can't even Imagine the expense that goes into a program like this. If you noticed this program used to sell for $450.00....... they reduced the price dramatically after they recapped their costs (can you see microsoft doing that).

Do you really expect a free copy of a product, a company has cut the price in half, get real

Well I just bought the one touch Maxtor drive (probably a $175.00 mistake) and I am going to backup the song files and mtu data base to go with the files.
I did not expect to get this kind of criticism about the liscensing thing. It just seems logical to me to have automatic ability to have two for a professional hoster. MTU has crashed all but 2 days for the first week and a half every show, right in the middle of a song everytime except once when it crashed after the end of the last song in the play list when I had to force it. It got hung up so I exited the program and regrouped in about 45 seconds. I am getting good at recovering. I know I do not want to ever reload all my music ever again, so I am doing this backup just for that, plus I would like to review some of my files at home so I can reload some of the discs which are playing very badly in hoster in hopes that they will play better, some have bad lyrics plus there are numerous data base problems I want to fix before deciding to print hoster style books. There are a lot of reasons to make a program like this to be usable in two systems, I would just like it to be thought about and maybe a satisfactory solution can come out of this thread. Because also I want to print the first batch at home, I will need my hoster to operate where my printer is, I am pretty sure most kj's don't have their printer at their show.
I understand your comments and they have been well taken, thanks.

Seve

Beavis
February 17th, 2004, 07:43 AM
i bought 2 copys of hoster !!

seve,
you need a computer that only has windows xp pro loaded on it and Hoster !! you wont have any crashes. use the window media player to play mp3's!

you wont have to reload your database if you have an external or extra internal hard drive. just drag and drop the .kma folder onto the new hard drive and keep it updated.

admin
February 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sevekj
I did not expect to get this kind of criticism about the liscensing thing. It just seems logical to me to have automatic ability to have two for a professional hoster.

MTU has crashed all but 2 days for the first week and a half every show, right in the middle of a song everytime except once when it crashed after the end of the last song in the play list when I had to force it. It got hung up so I exited the program and regrouped in about 45 seconds. I am getting good at recovering.

There are a lot of reasons to make a program like this to be usable in two systems, I would just like it to be thought about and maybe a satisfactory solution can come out of this thread. Because also I want to print the first batch at home, I will need my hoster to operate where my printer is, I am pretty sure most kj's don't have their printer at their show.
I understand your comments and they have been well taken, thanks. Seve
Seve, we are considering how to allow two copies of Hoster with the same Registration Code to run on two different computers. We are very much aware of the need. Today is a decision day, but I can say I expect to have some method of running on two systems for a limited period... considering 15 days to help overcome a failure of your show computer. :c

As to your system crashing, please remember how much help you received from all of us in this Community. Whenever you build a computer without expert knowledge, you run the risk of having a "flaky" system. Given that others are not mentioning crashes like you are, I believe the problem lies more in your computer and Windows installation rather than Hoster. Please keep this in mind before criticizing Hoster for crashing. If you have crash problems, please start a new Thread and discuss what is causing it, what yo are doing just before the crash, what happens, what error messages appear, etc. The more facts you can give us the more we can help you solve the problem. :w

gduns - with the Lord
February 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Because also I want to print the first batch at home, I will need my hoster to operate where my printer is, I am pretty sure most kj's don't have their printer at their show.

You can do this now at home without hoster, run the print songbook command. then put the artist.rtf, and titles.rtf on a floppy. they print from word not hoster.

hope this helps.

sevekj
February 17th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by admin
Seve, we are considering how to allow two copies of Hoster with the same Registration Code to run on two different computers. We are very much aware of the need. Today is a decision day, but I can say I expect to have some method of running on two systems for a limited period... considering 15 days to help overcome a failure of your show computer. :c

As to your system crashing, please remember how much help you received from all of us in this Community. Whenever you build a computer without expert knowledge, you run the risk of having a "flaky" system. Given that others are not mentioning crashes like you are, I believe the problem lies more in your computer and Windows installation rather than Hoster. Please keep this in mind before criticizing Hoster for crashing. If you have crash problems, please start a new Thread and discuss what is causing it, what yo are doing just before the crash, what happens, what error messages appear, etc. The more facts you can give us the more we can help you solve the problem. :w
Hi,
I am sorry about sounding like I am sounding, after reading some of the replies I am surprised at how bad my threads were sounding, believe me, they aren't meant to sound the way they do. Things can be read differently and have totally different meanings. Anyway, thanks to all who have helped and when I thread a new one, don't think I am just ranting and raving, I am probably just letting my fingers move and I get short on time and don't bother to proof read and so it gets sent with the wrong meaning. I think I did well as far as putting my system together, and loading XP and all, but I am pretty sure it is as you say that there is something wrong in XP causing hoster to shut down. I don't have anything else ever running except the sound card program. I have not been able to determine what causes the shutdown except in one occasion when it was playing the last song in the play list, reason was, someone changed their song at the last second, so I tried my skills at getting the new one on, well I added the new one and it appeared at the bottom of the play list which was already built, instead of moving it to the top I just played it from the position that it got entered, and I planned to mix in some fill music from my other player after that singer finished, when the song ended, hoster just stopped and became unfunctional and the hour glass cursor was on and it just remained on, I tried to restore hoster in several ways but no luck so I just shutdown and started all over again. All of the other times it just would stop arbitrarily with out any outside interference. I hope by March I will have an internet connection at that computer so I can install updates, maybe that is the problem. I did install updates the day I installed XP.
One more symptom, that might be a clue to what is wrong.
It takes a long time to initially boot up this computer, like it is looking for another boot source or something, the reason I say this is because I did not install a 3.5 floppy, don't really need one, I have a cd burner, is there a setting I should change or look for that would allow the boot up to not look for drive A. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but my hunch is I am on to something.
Thanks for any advice,

Seve

Beavis
February 18th, 2004, 02:57 AM
the setting for the A drive would be in the bios, when you start the computer up hit the delete key. make sure you know what your doing. all bios are not the same so if you need help make sure you specify what type of bios you have.

just because you have nothing running on the computer does not mean nothings running. if you installed alot of programs on the computer or surfed the net, some of those programs dont go away. plus you might have alot of spyware on your computer. it could be choking your computer to death ! (ad-aware might help)

i would transfer all your .kma files to another hard drive and reformat your computer and reinstall xp. only install hoster. dont forget to get all updates from windows.....and theres alot to get. hope you have DSL or Cable !!

gduns - with the Lord
February 18th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Also,
Background programs, that you don't even know are running interfere. two to mention are roxio cd creator, and nero cd burning software. When I took them off I lost a lot of my problems.

Check and see how many programs you have running in the system tray. this could be a clue. Also any program that schedules, or a calendar program. programs that look for autoupdates.

Good Luck!

Beavis
February 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM
i could never completely remove roxio from one of my computers without reformatting!!

go into the (run) msconfig and you will see it is still loaded(roxio) in the startup!

sevekj
February 18th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I will be checking into your solutions.
I went to the net only to get the updates for XP and Hoster install registration. I will be looking into the roxio thing, and I will get a computer buddy to check into the bios thing with me.
Thanks for the replies.

Seve

George
February 18th, 2004, 10:20 PM
On some platforms there's a program in the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 called "Take Two" that can create problems.

One solution is to uninstall the entire thing, then do a manual install, skipping "Take Two".

Another is to go to their website and get the free version 6 upgrade. It will automatically delete "Take Two", as it has been dropped from the program. That's the route I took.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

George

Debinski
February 22nd, 2004, 11:08 PM
What happend to the USB Mini Network Module approach to securing a single running copy?

I've been DJ'ing with a computer for two years. Because of that rare occasion when a computer won't boot up or an ide cable wiggles off from bouncing around the back of the van or a "driver not found" error or what ever else that can go wrong, and does, (you all know how "windows" can be) I have two identical rackmount computers (a black one and a beige one)and bring them both to my jobs (I leave one in the van...Just in case). I keep the data drives and partitions syncronized.

My feeling is what good are mirrored drives if they're both screwed up from a bad installation or a driver update gone bad or whatever? You now have two screwed up drives instead of one. To each his own I guess.

(The customers don't know how much they appreciate this.)

Anyway, I rely so heavily on working by computer these days, Its worth it to me to have a "whole computer" backup rather than just a drive.

Back to the point....

While contemplating on purchasing Hoster, part of my decision process was based on my being able to take the USB module
($42 respectfully) from one machine to the other. I thought it was a great idea.

Now...frankly I'm a little disconcerted with the loss of this feature.

(Coincidently I got another USB thing ($42) for the "Karaoke Suite 4" so I can move from the super duper living room computer to the not so super at all bedroom computer when the kids kick me off.)

I'm sure they have their reasons for "changing their mind". But I feel a little like I got the rug pulled out from under me.

Anybody want to buy a couple of USB things?

ADMIN NOTE: You can now (mid February 2004) install Hoster on 2 computers for SHOW and BACKUP. You can also install Karaoke Home Producer on 2 computers for use. :w

sevekj
February 22nd, 2004, 11:19 PM
I was a great host with out hoster now I am becoming a greater host and computer geek with hoster.
I am sure someone could use those extra usb thingys to reconfigure the chips to operate more computers simultaneously.
Somebody will make a hoster program cheaper without the fancy protection stuff and everybody will think they can host like an MTUer. There will be a bunch of geeks hosting shows everywhere, It will be the rave!!! AHHHHhhhhhh!!!!!

Debinski
February 22nd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Huh?

admin
March 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by edmcgeemusic
I agree. We really need a two license agreement.

The honest customer is the one who suffers from all this theft protection.

eddie

As of around February 20, 2004, Hoster can be installed on 2 computers so you have a SHOW and BACKUP/HOME system running it. Merry Christmas... slightly late. :g

Beavis
March 3rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
if i put hoster on a back up computer and do all my importing using my back up computer, can i transfer all my .kma's to my show computer and use the config utility will everything work fine in the .kma header ?

kedmison
March 3rd, 2004, 11:31 AM
This didn't show up first time, so here it is again...
Here's my problem,...I am wanting to use Hoster's pribting feature to do my song books. I like the ability to use the Artist one time and all the songs underneath the one artist headins. My problem is that the book ID is be printed along side the title. When I first started importing my discs, I statred with the idea that since the songs are no longer on a disc, that the idea of having a "track" number is mute. Therfore song 1 would be 101 and so forth. All songs on next disc would start 201 etc.

This is quick an example of what wants to print out in my song book:

Beatles

Hold your hand201.................20112
No where man170....................1701

How do I remove the numbers immediatley after the song titles?

I've always felt that the DiscID# really should be called Song ID#.

Any help on this?

Thanks,

Kelly

admin
March 3rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BEAVIS
if i put hoster on a back up computer and do all my importing using my back up computer, can i transfer all my .kma's to my show computer and use the config utility will everything work fine in the .kma header ?
What is a config utility? Hoster doesn't have one.

What does transfering files have to do with a .kma header?

The only warning is there is no way to renumber a BOOKID. Since Hoster's Build Songs Database command will ONLY use the first found BOOKID... when there are duplicates, you will loose the second song. DON'T DUPLICATE BOOKIDs!!! :e

Songs on one hard drive can play on the second hard drive.

admin
March 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kedmison

Beatles

Any help on this?

Thanks, Kelly
Simple... edit the RTF file in Wordpad or Word before you print them. Currently that is the only way. However, it is not just the DiscID# unless I'm dead wrong. It is the BRAND encoded along with the DiscID#. MANY users have DEMANDED we make it visible what BRAND the song is from, because Singers come in and will ONLY sing XYZ producer's songs. :r

kedmison
March 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks, but that would mean I would have to indivually edit 7,000 songs. Believe I'll pass. Would it be possible to Include a SONG # in the next version for those of us who ONLY need a number for a song?:w

Kelly

admin
March 3rd, 2004, 12:31 PM
It's called BOOKID, isn't it?

I don't think I can justify adding yet another number.

I also can't remove the DiscID# after the Song name in the ARTIST BOOK, or Artist name in the SONGS BOOK. There are too many who requested it that caused us to add it in. One day, we may be able to make the fields in each SongBook report selectable. That way you could disable the DiscID# if you didn't want it. No promises for now. :s

Beavis
March 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
sorry about the config utility, i meant rebuild the song database.

i remember before you said we could not change mis-spelled titles or artist in microsoft access.

i guess my question is can we import the cd-g's in the backup computer then transfer the .kma to the main karaoke computer via drag and drop? (i have both computers networked together)

i dont use the song book utility. i print my own books using excell

sevekj
March 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
I have been able to edit anyway I want any data I want and create the hoster books anyway I want, here is how.

First and most important. Make a copy, make a copy, make a copy!!!! Use a CD or another hard drive or copy and paste to desktop, whatever you feel safer with.

I open MS Access, find the database named "songs"

Open the Table "songs"

The songs info for all the songs you have imported should be displayed with columns for all the data necessary for hoster to work properly.

You can edit anything in this database, do not mess with the path column you will be very sorry!!!!, Only edit title and artist as is necessary for misspellings and other like problems.

Replace the original "songs" with the edited one and you are done. Make a copy of the edited one if all works fine and then discard the old backup.

Also, If there is data you do not want to appear in the books such as the mfg# you can make an edited copy, with mfg# column removed for example, place it temporarily in the database folder, place the original on the desktop or be sure it is saved in it's original condition on a CD or HD, open Hoster, select the books tab and prepare books. Close Hoster, reopen the hoster database folder find and open the word file you want, title or artist, , edit Header/ Footer, print , replace the original "songs.mdb." in to the database folder so that the info will display in hoster and so hoster will work properly, do not forget to do the last step,and you are done!!!

And don't forget, backup, backup, backup!!!! Very important!!!!

Proud hoster user, Seve

kedmison
March 3rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks Seve,

I'll try that. I did copy the data base file to my desktop computer. I have Access 2000. It tells me that the Hoster version of the data base is an older version. Is this correct.?

Thanks again.

Kelly

admin
March 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by kedmison
Thanks Seve,

I'll try that. I did copy the data base file to my desktop computer. I have Access 2000. It tells me that the Hoster version of the data base is an older version. Is this correct.?

Thanks again. Kelly
If you edit with Access 2000, you must export in Access 97 format or Hoster will NOT identify the database.

BEAVIS, can't comment on click and drag, but however you get the files over there, when you execute the Build Songs database command, the new files will be added to the Songs database, IF... there are no duplicate BOOKID numbers.

gduns - with the Lord
March 4th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Kedmisson,

Beatles

Open the word RTF title or artist in word
select edit, select replace, select font, select italic, then ok, leave "replace with" blank, select replace all, allow a few seconds, look at new document without the italicised mfg#.