PDA

View Full Version : Bug causing Hoster to close

Stillwater
January 21st, 2004, 03:31 PM
I have found a few bugs in Hoster. The worst on is when after entering a disk, I go to the play list to QC what I just entered. After selecting a track in the play list, adding the track and when I hit play, the program closes. This happens about 1/2 the time.
Is there a fix for this problem.

jaddams
January 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM
Stillwater,

With all due respect, how do you know they are bugs? How about chicking this thread (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3071) and then posting as much information as you can.

Sincerely,

Jon

Beavis
January 21st, 2004, 06:21 PM
go get all the windows updates!

Stillwater
January 21st, 2004, 07:19 PM
You requested additional information. I also included other problems I have found.
All the lasted windows XP updates were loaded on the computer 2 weeks ago after I received it from Dell. This is a new Dell Inspiron 5100 with the ATI 7500 dual monitor card. The only programs loaded on this computer since new is hoster and microstudio.
The following is a list of problems I have found:
1. when importing tacks, after selecting the brand when I select the arrow on the Disc ID the scroll list sometimes starts scrolling automatically and you cannot stop it. The are also times I select a disk ID and nothing happens. I have to select another ID# then go back to the number I want.
2. There have been times that the compression radio selection showed 96K radio but was really compressing at 160K. It required closing the program and starting it again to reset for 96K compression.
3. As I mention before, after importing a disk, I go to the Play list to QC a disk. After selecting a track or 2 (use add track and then close the window) I press play and hoster closes. This happens about 1/2 the time.
4. When using the notebook only (no second monitor connected), when playing a song, the words come up full screen as expected. Double clicking will go back to the play list and now I have 2 play screens (the small one in the lower left and another scaleable screen). When I switch to the import track screen, this scalable karaoke word screen still appears in the same location on the Import Tracks screen and there seems no way to eliminate it.
5. Question: Is there any way to reset the timer other than closing the program and reopening? I would like to reset the timer at the start of each set manually.

George
January 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Is there any way you can find out whether the ATI 7500 that you have is a POWERED BY ATI or a MADE BY ATI video card? There is a vast difference in performance. If it is a POWERED BY ATI you could be experiencing video card problems.

The POWERED BY ATI cards are made by various manufacturers who pay ATI to use some of their Patented systems. They are generally priced lower than ATI made cards and perform accordingly.

Not saying for certain that's it, but it is a distinct possibility in a production line pc.

When not using a remote monitor or TV, after you double click and minimize the remote screen, you should be able to click and drag it off to the right out of the way, the same as if you did have a dual display hook up.

Wouldn't hurt to go to Microsofts site and download all the latest service packs for your os. Before going there, determine which version of Direct X you have installed and if not 9.0, download it also.

Gonna let my ignorance show up here. What do you mean by "QC a disc" in the playlist ?

Hope this helps,

George

nreel
January 22nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
Stillwater

I see that, in #4 of your POST, a Dell Inspiron 5100 is a Notebook and not a Desktop. You have an ATI Video card, yes, but how much Memory does the Video Card have. Dell’s Website shows 32Meg as a Standard Option and a 64Meg as an Upgrade. How much RAM does your Notebook have? What is the RPM Rating of your Hard Drive? All this figures in to how well your Notebook will perform.

This being said and questioned, I offer the following:

1. Number 1, in your POST is NOT a BUG.
If you are using a Touch Pad Mouse, be SURE to DISABLE the TOUCH features of the PAD. I suspect, as you are trying to use your finger to scroll for selection, the TOUCH PAD sensitivity is picking up TOUCHES that you did not want. I’ve always had problems with the TOUCH Features on Notebooks, if they were enabled.

2. Number 2, in your POST is NOT a BUG.
To get HOSTER to HOLD your SETTINGS, you must, CHOOSE the settings you want, close HOSTER, and re-open HOSTER. Then, if, for instance, you selected 96K Compression Ratio, HOSTER will maintain this setting each time you OPEN HOSTER.

3. I can only say that this has to do with how well your Notebook is equipped. You may need to check with MTU on minimum system requirements. Just a thought: It may be that, the inadvertent importing at the 160K Compression Ratio is too much for your Notebook to handle. Try re-importing at the lowest Compression Ratio and see if that works.

4. Number 4, in your POST is NOT a BUG.
Once you open a PLAYLIST and PLAY an Imported KMA file, the Singer’s Window will always be present, no matter if you return to the IMPORT window. Just RESIZE the Singer’s Window to the same size as the PREVIEW Window (or Smaller…your choice) by placing your Mouse Cursor on any Side (I Prefer the corners) until the Mouse Pointer becomes an ARROW, hold your LEFT Mouse Button continuously, and while Holding your Mouse Button continuously, DRAG to Resize the Singer’s Window. Then MOVE the re-sized Singer’s Window somewhere out of the way (upper right-hand corner) so that, when you go back to the IMPORT Window, the Singer’s Window is not in the way of viewing objects in the IMPORT Window.

Close HOSTER and re-open HOSTER to KEEP the SETTING of your resized Singer’s Window. Even if you do RE-SIZE the Singer’s Window, the PLACING of the re-sized window may not stay in the SAME PLACE on the IMPORT Window even if HOSTER is closed and re-opened.

And, NO…you cannot get rid of the Singer’s Window, once activated via the Playlist, until you CLOSE HOSTER and RE-OPEN HOSTER.

Hope this Helps,

Norm

Stillwater
January 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
The following are the specs on the Dell Inspiron 5100:
Running Windows XP home, service pack 1, Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 512 MB of RAM. Display adapter is the Mobility Radeon 7500C with 64MB or Ram, Using 60GB hard drive (don't know the speed but it plays the songs perfectly). I did the MS scan for updates and only found a security update that was required so I believe I have the latest software. I am using the MTU USB CD drive.
I will use a mouse and disable the touch pad. This may solve the scrolling problem. I still don't think this is the cause of the shut down problem. I hope that in the next version of hoster there would be a way to eliminate the extra window in the play list. It is redundant and anoying when it shows up as a big blank when importing song (although I know I can rescale the window). Does anybody have an answer on resetting the timer? I think the timer is a good feature but I need the reset capability. The change of compression ratio problem happened without me closing and reopening the program. I was using 96K compression, recorded a number of CD and then I noticed that the disk space on the last one I recorded was larger that previous songs. The 96K button was still pressed but it was compressing at about 128K or 160K ratio. Closing the program and reopening it solved the problem. I believe there is a gremlin somewhere in the code.
I have another questions. What does the backup database button do? I would think it should be able to do a complete backup of eveything that was recorded (text and music) but I don't see any setup info to specify a directry for a backup folder.
FYI: QC stands for Quality Control. I in in the broadcast industry and we QC tapes after we record them before broadcast.
PS: I appreciate everybodies help. I do tech support on software for my company so I do know a bit about computers although any help is greatly appreciated. There are always the Got-ya's out there.

gduns - with the Lord
January 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
laptop hard drives (internal) are 4200, 5400 or now newer 7200 rpm drives. Most are 4200 Rpm's unless specifically ordered as the faster drives.

George
January 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
I don't think you're going to see any changes regarding the singer's window showing up in the playlist. The purpose of the program is to run dual display, and that window is generally moved to the remote monitor or pc.

If you find it annoying, and are not going to run in dual display for a time, disable the EXTENDED DESKTOP feature in your display settings.

Hope this helps.

George