PDA

View Full Version : Plextor / XP compatibility

sassonsb
January 4th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I replaced my old CD-R with a new (52x) PlexWriter when I purchased Hoster recently as my old CD drive didn't support CDGs and Hoster. I can import files fine but I can't burn anthing to the CD-R. It also doesn't automatically read CDs when I put them in and launch the appropriate program. I went to Microsofts web site where they list a whole bunch of CD-Rs that are compatible with Microsoft (I'm using XP OS). Plextor is not listed. Has anyone had problems getting this CD-R to work properly with Microsoft XP?
Stephen

jaddams
January 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Stephen,

With all do respect to the folks at Microsoft Campus, their list about Windows compatible CD-Rs means absolutely nothing! There is simply no such a thing as a non-Windows compatible CD ROM.

Most software sold today, is sold on a CD ROM. Imagine if you bought that software and then couldn’t install it because your burner is not Windows compatible?

Heck you couldn’t even probably install the Windows Operating systems that you are running now...

Today, support for CDRs is built-in into the system BIOS of any motherboard built since 1999. Before that, you needed supporting software driver which were supplied by the CDROM manufacturer.

The entire PlexWriter line works excellent with ALL versions of Windows, Linux, Unix and any other operating systems that someone may be working on their garages.

For karaoke, it’s simply the best burner out there, at any price!

The Plextor line is the defacto standard by which other CDRs are measured today.

Please read this post (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259) and then post back as much information as you can and you'll see how quick we get you running. Meanwhile, you can bet your last dollar that the problem is not your Plextor, unless you have a defective unit.

Regards,

Jon

sassonsb
January 4th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Jon,

Thanks for your reply. It is comforting to know that the Plextor was the right choice. I was able to figure out how to write to it. This only thing it doesn't appear to be doing now is automatically reading a newly inserted CD and initiating the relavent program. For example, if I put in a normal audio CD, I would expect Windows Media Player to launch but nothing happens. This isn't a Hoster problem but you know of a fix, I would be appreciative. I went to My Computer, right clicked on the drive, opened properties, under autoplay I selected Window Media Player to automatically run but it doesn't happen. ?? Stephen