PDA

View Full Version : Scared about computers

MasterJP80
January 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
I really believe in the MTU products and have read some great reviews. However, I don't understand how the [Hoster] computer is hooked to the system. Do you still need equalizers, compressors, processors. I know I need my amps and speakers. Does the computer plug into my Macki Board? What, Where, How?

I would really like to go computerized, but, little nervous about set up. Help Please.:r :?

admin
January 2nd, 2004, 11:28 AM
You posted originally in a non-posting Forum. This is where your question needs to be. :w

I'm sure you'll get some good answers soon.

In a nut shell, you can unplug your CDG Player, and plug in the Hoster computer. If you already use outboard compressors, limitors, etc. off your Macki, they can still process the audio stream.

The only thing I will make a note about is that "Multiplexed" songs where the vocal+music is on one track and the music only on the other track (of a stereo song), Hoster does not yet offer a way to play the multiplexed song music-only track "bridged" to the Left and Right speakers. That is coming. :w

flipper
January 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Master

As admin says you can plug your computer into the same channel on your mixer board as you do your player...unless you stilll need to have your player for VCD, Laser, and Multiplex discs. In that case you just use the next available channel.

Unless your computer has RCA Outs (most do not) you will be using a Mini-Jack out of your computer. You can purchase an adapter that will convert from Mini Jack to RCA or 1/4" that will connect to your mixer. You can get these at Radio Shack.

If you are running both your player and computer for your show you will need a A/B switch for your video out to multiple TV's. If you purchase MTU's Laptop or Shuttle PC you will be using the S-Video Out.

I have found a perfect solution for hooking up my laptop and player. You can purchase it from Best Buy or Circuit City for about $40. It is a Combination RF Modulator and Switcher made by RCA the model number is CRF940. It has a 4 position switch and has both RCA and S-Video in's and out's as well as Coax out.

Hope this helps!

Flipper

shanold1
July 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Flipper you said you need to use a mini-jack and rca cord what does the mini-jack plug into? The headphone jack?
Steve in Albany OR

flipper
July 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
The headphone jack. Unless you have a PCMCIA Soundblaster Sound Card
you would then plug it into the headphone jack on the soundcard.

shanold1
July 19th, 2005, 07:42 PM
all this tecknowledge is hard on a old man. Thanks for your help. My wife and I do a show at the american legion here in albany, or.
steve in Albany

Beavis
July 19th, 2005, 09:46 PM
if you want to PM me your phone # & i will call you on the phone and give you the breakdown on how this whole thing works.

trust me, its real easy ! :g :g :g

Digital Party
July 20th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Remember....if you are using a laptop, you are going to need the external sound card. (PCMCIA or USB) Lots of noise sometimes using the sound card on the motherboard.

Also....remember to use the Ground Loop Isolation device (you can search the Radio Shack website or go into the store and ask for one :) ). This is used because a laptop can produce a lot of internal noise. You will not hear the noise using headphones......but the min you run it into your amp and out the speakers.....BAM! Lots of noise that sounds like aliens, everytime the hard drive operates.

mindonstrike
July 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Remember....if you are using a laptop, you are going to need the external sound card. (PCMCIA or USB) Lots of noise sometimes using the sound card on the motherboard.

Agree.
Line out jack is always preferable to a headphone jack.

IMHO
Sam

billyo
July 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM
if youre using a mackie board. (cfx or a dfx ) which has a voice elliminator you can play a multiplex, but you wont be able to removed the vocals totally, when you play a multiplex just push the vocal elliminator..

mindonstrike
July 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Billyo
If you are referring to Admins post you might note that that post is over a year and a half old. Hoster now supports multiplexed songs. You can either import it demultiplexed or do it after starting the track.

Sam

billyo
July 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
i was talking to someone who was asking if he can hooked up his laptop to a mackie board and playing a multiplex on it..