PDA

View Full Version : Priddis Inc. Legality Position!

gduns - with the Lord
December 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I just got a written statement from Christian at Priddis. He also said I could post what he wrote to me. I think they share our opinions, it's your music that you bought, now use it legally, just don't make multiple copies for multiple rigs if you only buy one copy.

Here's what Christian had to say:

Thanks for your concern. You can listen to our position on episode #5 of That’s Karaoke at http://www.thatskaraoke.com.

At Priddis we know that as consumers purchase our music, some may want to put the music on their Mac or PC computer and download it to a personal listening device or play at their workstation at work. Some consumers will use our music for competitions where it’s required to bring 2 copies of the music so they can successfully perform and have a smooth running contest. Some consumers may cut the music down to shorter lengths for their performance. We also understand that as a business owner, one wants to protect his assests. As a DJ, one would want to not only protect and insure their equipment but also their music library. Because of this struggle, there are many different strong feelings business owners, consumers and labels have.

We want our customers to use your music. If you’re a consumer that wants to upload a Priddis disc to a personal listening device such as an iPod, do it. If you need to sing in a competition and have to bring two copies to the show, do it. If you have to cut the music down to be in the contest, do it. Don’t, make copies for your friends. Don’t allow other people to download it off your computer. Don’t sell copies of it. Piracy in this form directly hurts the labels. Use your music, but have integrity with it and common sense.

If you’re a business that wants to protect your assets, and you feel you have to bring and play a backup copy, do it. Don’t make other copies for your other rigs. Don’t make copies and sell them to your customers. Once again, use your music, protect your assets, but have integrity and common sense. If you bought a set of tires for your business, you couldn’t copy them or use “backup” copies. I’m just trying to put it in perspective. However, we (Priddis) offer a scratch/breakage plan for your discs. If you scratch or break your discs, send in the disc and we’ll send you back a new one. No monthly premiums, just a bonus for our customers. If you’re more serious about protecting your assets, the National Association of Mobile Entertainers (N.A.M.E. - http://www.djkj.com/ ) offers protection for you, your gear, and your music. So there are safeguards out there for the DJ/KJ. Priddis has been on the forefront of karaoke technology, but never the forefront of the DJ business so our policies aren’t well known.

If I was going to recommend anything for a business, it would be find a program like Hoster (http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-hoster.htm) and digitize all your karaoke music on a laptop or portable computer. They have great security features for both the label and consumer. And, you don’t have to make “backup” or “work” copies of your discs. I hope to see bigger and better things digitally in the near future.

Another little tidbit is there is a copyright law (section 108 I believe) that states if a phono-recording (audio recording, not a vinyl record) is out of print, it is legal to make an archive copy of it for archival, non-commercial purposes. I’ll let you decipher the meaning of that.

I hope this gives you a little direction. Good luck and thanks for your honest business. It helps keep us in business.

Christian

I thought you guys might like a fresh perspective