PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Tracks

flipper
December 17th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I imported some tracks on a disc that had the vocals in them and needed to delete them from the database. I looked in the manual and began to follow the instructions for deleting unwanted tracks. When I got to the warning about selecting the Song Database Destination Folder Path before rebuilding I read that the default location should be c:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Hoster\Databases I went "My Computer" clicked on
my C drive and they were all saved to c:\ not the default directory.

When I Imported all 400+ discs I did not use the save to directory tab because it was not in the importing songs instruction section of the users manual.

Anyway I'm trying to be careful not to screw up all the files I imported by not doing the database rebuild correctly, and I am in unfamiliar territory here. I have a gig tomorrow and need some help.

What are the steps I need to take to correct this?

It's probably simple! but would appreciate your input.

Scott

Beavis
December 17th, 2003, 07:41 PM
you can delete them in microsoft access. just delete the row that the song is on.

the main file is in the hoster file

mindonstrike
December 17th, 2003, 08:37 PM
When you say that they were saved to drive c:\ I'm assuming you mean the songs themselves and not the database, which is okay you can put the songs anywhere it's just easier if you keep them in a folder.
Hoster,when playing during a show will always look for the song.mdb file in :\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Hoster\Databases
but it won't automaticly save your rebuilt database there so you have to specify that location when you rebuild.

This is what I do: Delete the tracks you want to get rid of then go to your database folder and delete or change the name of the songs.mdb file

and then rebuild the file specifying in "song source folders"the location where your songs are kept (if it were me I'd move them to a folder first).
And then under "song database destination folder" direct it to the database folder from which you deleted the old file. Click "build song database", almost immediately youll get a a little dialog box saying that it backed up the old file, click OK, and in 5 or 10 minutes it will be done.

Good luck
Sam

flipper
December 17th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Tracks Have Been Deleted
Under C:\:\Program Files\Micro TechnologyUnlimited\Hoster\Databases there is no file that says songs.mbd
There is one that says songs_Backup, and one that just says songs. Which one is the correct file?

All of my kma files are on c:\

I created a new folder titled "Hoster Songs" and transfered the kma files to that folder. Then I went into Hoster and rebuilt the song database. using the source file of c:\hoster songs I rebuilt the database and the deleted songs still show up in the listing.

perhaps it is in naming the destination file where I'm going wrong. I'm not clear on what file name I should put there.

I'm having a little problem understanding exactly what you are telling me to do. Your knowlege on working with files is more advanced than mine. I follow directions pretty well if they are in laymans terms.

Scott

flipper
December 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Your posts headed me in the right direction and after playing around with the files for about an hour or so I must have made the right moves because everything is back to normal..I have the songs deleted and the database rebuilt. I must admit I have no idea what combination of things actually did the trick but I'm back in business and I didn't lose my songs!

Thank you Mindonstrike & Beavis!

Scott:) :g

mindonstrike
December 18th, 2003, 06:10 AM
The file you were looking for was "songs". If the folder view was set to show details I think it would have shown the mdb extension (if memory serves) otherwise when you highligt it and bring up the little yellow dialog box it would have indicated it was a microsoft access database file. Songs_backup is just that, a backup of your old file, if the new mdb file is messed up or becomes corrupted you can change the name to songs and still keep running until you have time to rebuild (in 6 months Ive never needed to use it).

Hoster is still relatively new so there are a few quirks to deal with. I don't know if this was one of them that was dealt with in the upgrade that just came out. I'm waiting to get feedback about the upgrade from others on the forum before I do it (I wouldn't have made much of a pioneer would I, LOL).

Good luck on your gig
Sam

flipper
December 18th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Sam -

You're right about the filenames If it is set to "show details" the file extension shows songs.mdb that is why I could not see it.
After doing the fix last night I now have 2 songs.mdb files and
plus 2 songs files....don't know how that happened...oh well at least I'm up and running for the gigs and I can deal with that later. I have 3 private christmas parties to do this weekend.

I'm sure happy with how hoster has been running. I did a show the other night with it. Wow is it a time saver.

Thank you for all of your help Sam!

Scott

sevekj
January 25th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Hi Beavis,

I just ran into something that I had a feeling I would have a problem with. I just thought I would ask you, since you were instrumental in helping me with the last problem I had.

I have been testing my hoster out and have found out that unless you know the mfg name and number of a song you have duplicated in your collection it only shows one and if you select it it defaults to the first book ID number selection, which might be an unwanted version of the same song. Am I wrong in wanting hoster to show me the complete list so I can choose the wanted mfg version. Is there a way, I just have not read enough.
Thanks for whatever you can do.

Seve