PDA

View Full Version : Versions

lesashmore
December 14th, 2003, 10:00 AM
I am a little confused about the versions of Hoster We are being informed about, On the versions page there are a number of Beta releases (I am using 2.014) then I see 2.015 So I request a link to download it, I am told that it is a Beta release and I cannot have it basically, There has been NO release of that It states that the Beta was leleased on 30/08/03, Now I see a version 2.105 which it says was Updated on 11/12.03 So I applied for a link to This new version, Again I am told it is a beta release, BUT I also see that a Link has been started to Update from V2.0xx to V2.100 software So using basic intelligence I can assume that there IS a 2.100 version it is just that the price has not been sorted yet, Also as such individuals as myself have been suggesting new inclusions in Hoster does this mean that ideas have been included from the Guinea Pigs and now they are being sold back to us, Also in July of This year I made the following request on The Forum :-
Song Search
I would request the Search Criteria in Hoster to be widened,
ie if someone comes with the dreaded question "Do you Have ?" and the song name is NOT exact, the search will not find it "example" "Singing in the Chapel" actual song name "Crying in the Chapel" to find the song now we would have to enter the EXACT song name OR the first word Correctly, IF we entered Chapel the song would NOT be Found, So I would request that a Bolean search could be implemented. Whereupon you entered the following Reply:-
We are adding wildcards to the search
With a wildcard, you can then expand your search to, in your case, enter *chapel* and "Crying in the Chapel" should be found.

We are addressing changing the entire method we use to add songs now. The Add HD Track method evolved massively over the versions. The result is cumbersome for Song name and Artist name modes of accessing of songs.

We expect to have an entirely different means of finding and adding songs to your Playlist than we currently have.

Can I asume that this update is Included as this creates many problems when searching.

Les Ashmore

admin
December 16th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Les, I wish I could wave a magic wand and all the request from capable users like you would just materialize into product! My life would simplify greatly if I could do that! :c

I appreciate you pointing out the confusion over our Hoster releases. It is my writing. I do the best I can, but I admit I make mistakes. As President, I define where we go and manager our staff to get there. Sometimes I generate confusion in trying to not reveal our strategic plans too soon. I can now reveal to you and others who wish to read this, that our 5-year plan will soon come to the market. :g

Security
We had to secure our products. Internet theft is now so easy that honest folk go looking for cracked software. Hoster's protection required that it:

1. Be easy to install and stay out of the way.
2. Stop illegal distribution to protect our future.
3. Be afordable to use and maintain.
4. Automate database upgrades to keep you current.
5. Allow buying songs via the Internet or in bulk at lower costs.
6. Help your and our Karaoke industry grow.

Like you, we earn our income, and we must protect our substantial investment. We discover that we help users daily who have never bought from MTU. That is not good business. You have watched us evolve from Serial Number protection that allowed Internet theft, to Hoster's MACID protection that is a pain, and now our new Registration Code Security meets all these goals! I can tell you that Song Producers are very excited as they see our 5-year investment coming to reality.

Investment
It takes lots of money to hire good developers and staff. This year, in addition to our RegCode Security, we have made these product investments:

1. Hoster is our main product. Period! The new feature requests were: #1-Upgrade the database (50% growth to 196,000 songs), #2-Play audio songs without vocals for DJ'ing (in 2.105), #3-Play VCD and DVD discs (in 2.106), #4-Upgrade the database on-line (this will come), #5-Allow buying new songs over the Internet... a soon to be reality.

2. Microstudio 2.517 supports the new DVD+R burner to give Hoster one drive that plays CDG, VCD, DVD discs, as well as from hard drive. This program was used to evolve the RegCode security.

3. Keyrite 2.008 is a major upgrade for use in Hoster.

4. Karaoke Pro 1.02x is a professional tool for the Song Producers to create and protect quality songs for you to buy for your audience.

Quality
MTU is known for quality, logical, polished products. This takes intelligent programmers who will do what we request... sorta like herding cats! :r The results of our programmers can be seen in our recent new releases.

Our investments this year have been made to upgrade Hoster. However, 2.104 does not yet have the Add HD Track upgrade you want. This is a very expensive upgrade, and one that is a "desire" level, not required to run your show. We are first meeting the market NEEDS, then adding the polish to our customer's desire levels. We have a clear idea what to do for Add HD Track, and we now have the programmer working on it to be in 2.106. I hope you appreciate our priorities.

Development is a Gamble
We must invest wisely to remain in business. If we do a good job at balancing our resource investments to meet your needs, then you will buy fromus. The "working world" works this way. Think about this... since you purchased Hoster last May, have you made income and is your show better than it was before? We haven't asked you to pay to further improve Hoster for your show. However, we have invested over $100,000 this year to help you and our other customers. I hope you can realize our need to charge for our developments. They are wisely made, yet very expensive.

Les, I have used your request about "Singing in the Chapel" in guiding our programmer upgrading Add HD Track. However, at least 10 others have also requested the same, which moves it up our "to do" list. When you ask us for something, our desire is to provide it. Our 34 year history proves we are good at doing this.

I am confident you will be happy with the small amout we are asking you to contribute to our investment this year. When you look at our total service to you and our paying customers, I believe you will agree it is worth it. :w

lesashmore
December 16th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Let Me make one thing VERY clear please to anyone who would read my previous thread and assume from it that I am disgruntled with Hoster, I AM NOT I think it is the best karaoke product that is on the market and I cannot see anything even coming close to it in the near future, The ONLY thing I was a little perturbed about was The Version status, Being an MD of a company I totally agree with the comments made and can totally accept the explanation, I do not expect something for nothing and I am quite willing to pay for it, I would just like to be able to get it When I am informed about it, The mistake that was made in this instance was it was the carrot that was dangled and it was impossible to get to it,.

PS it would be nice to be able to purchase before xmas period
Hint, Hint, Hint

admin
December 17th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Oh, do I agree with you! It would be nice to RELEASE Hoster 2.105 (or 6, 7, 8) before Christmas! We are investing HEAVILY right now to try and get there. :g

We probably will add playing CD audio songs imported as WMA files in 2.106 before we release. We know how valuable that will be to many of our Hosts/DJs! We are expecting to add these compressed, imported files on your hard drive into your Songs Database, but give you the option to not print them in your Song Books. Thus, your Add HD Track dialog will show two buttons - Karaoke and Audio - to limit your selection by a single button click.

We have found some bugs that have haunted the code for over a year! One that is nearly removed could cause a random crash, most recently reported with Auto-Play, Key change, and unexplanable reasons! It is in the player code that everything plays through, which explains why it was so pervasive to reproduce and find.

We are very excited over Hoster 2.1. As soon as we can in January, we also expect to add playing of VCD and DVD discs, but not import them into system or the the Songs Database. If asked to do this by enough users, we will consider it. That's not trivial to do.

Thanks for your comments. I felt they deserved a lengthy answer to properly explain. :r

PS: In rereading my answer above, I left it unclear about the Add HD Track upgrade. It turns out, this is about the worst code to untangle that we have in Hoster. :e It will take us a lot longer than anticipated to do it right. We have a clear image of what to do, and have the programmer ready to do it. However, it won't be in 2.106 (if that is the first 2.1xx release). I do expect it in the next release. :w