PDA

View Full Version : Songs changing key while playing

Debinski
December 4th, 2003, 07:47 PM
About a month or two ago I hosted one show using Hoster. I had some problems and haven't used it again since.
I had imported only my "DK's" (about 3-4 days worth) into Hoster 2.011. Then I decided to halt importing and try the system in the field to see if everything works ok.

Well about 1 out of 4 songs had an intermittent key change mid song. It was little embarrassing. Fortunately I was able to revert back to playing discs. Anyway...

Since then I have reimported the songs that had a problem that night as well as some others I found, and that solved the problem.

My questions are:

Is the key change issue in the kma file itself?
Will I need to reimport everything I've done so far?
Will upgrading to 2.100 solve the problem?

(Your "News" page suggested that you’ve done some work in the key changer dept.)

I presently have 2.014 installed.

jaddams
December 5th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Debinski,

You are currently running Hoster’s latest release.

A new version should be coming out very shortly with a much improved KeyRite. I suggest you wait for the new release (a couple of weeks or so) upgrade and try again to see if the new release solves your problems. If not, we can take it from there.

Sincerely,

Jon

SteveWalker
January 23rd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Does the latest Hoster change the key when playing a CDG directly from the drive?

Steve

mindonstrike
January 23rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Also can you use the key changer to change it back to normal? Also how many steps does it change and in which direction? Do they change the same or is it random?

As far as the key change fix mentioned on the "news" page , I believe that was in reference to people who use the keyboard instead of a mouse to navigate the buttons on their "Add HD Track" window.

Sam

admin
January 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Does the latest Hoster change the key when playing a CDG directly from the drive?
Steve
No.

That required a massive redesign of the architecture. We have done this, and the 2.2 release (not 2.1 about to release) will have this.

admin
January 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mindonstrike
Also can you use the key changer to change it back to normal? Also how many steps does it change and in which direction? Do they change the same or is it random?

As far as the key change fix mentioned on the "news" page , I believe that was in reference to people who use the keyboard instead of a mouse to navigate the buttons on their "Add HD Track" window.
Sam
The Hoster key changer is live while playing. You can't change the key of a .kma file on disc, but you can change it from +5 to -5 from what it currently is on disc... live while playing... not modifying the disc file.

Hoster 2.117 has the new Keyrite Pro 2.008 in it. It is a massive change. Yes, the problem with tabbing through the Add HD Tracks fields setting the key to -5 was also fixed. That took about 5 minutes. The other took over 2 months. :w

mindonstrike
January 24th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I was asking debinski these questions in reference to his problems with Hoster.

Thanks for the reply though.

Sam

Debinski
January 25th, 2004, 07:52 PM
SteveWalker wrote:

Assuming you mean a KMA the hard drive....Yes.
If you mean the CD-Rom drive....I haven't tried

Debinski
January 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Mindonstrike wrote:

Also can you use the key changer to change it back to normal?
Also how many steps does it change and in which direction?
Do they change the same or is it random?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When playing a KMA file...and when everything appears to be running normal... the song will change key on its own for no apparent reason.

Always at the same spot. And it will always key downward the same amount. How many steps? I don't know.

Importing the track again from the CD will correct the problem. That's OK for a dozen tracks or so. But my biggest fear is that I'm gonna have to reimport everything, because there is no way to check every track other than to listen to every song in its entirety. Its faster to reimport.

I need to know if it’s caused from the way Hoster interprets the KMA file and then maybe the new revisions will correct the problem... OR is it a corrupt or bad KMA file that needs to be replaced because the new key changer revisions will have no effect

Incidentally, I was using rev 2.011 when these tracks were imported.

C'mon back admin

SteveWalker
January 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by admin
No.

That required a massive redesign of the architecture. We have done this, and the 2.2 release (not 2.1 about to release) will have this.

So when will 2.2 be released?

Thanks,
Steve

SteveWalker
February 6th, 2004, 09:48 AM
No.

Why wasn't this in you requirements specification to start with so the architecture would be design right? There's nothing new about key changing for CDG's in the drive is there? I already know you designed the first audio workstation and have been in business over 30 years so please spare me.

Steve

admin
February 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Why wasn't this in you requirements specification to start with so the architecture would be design right? There's nothing new about key changing for CDG's in the drive is there? I already know you designed the first audio workstation and have been in business over 30 years so please spare me.

Steve
Many reasons. Short enough?

admin
February 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Debinski
When playing a KMA file...and when everything appears to be running normal... the song will change key on its own for no apparent reason.

Always at the same spot. And it will always key downward the same amount. How many steps? I don't know.

Importing the track again from the CD will correct the problem. That's OK for a dozen tracks or so. But my biggest fear is that I'm gonna have to reimport everything, because there is no way to check every track other than to listen to every song in its entirety. Its faster to reimport.

I need to know if it’s caused from the way Hoster interprets the KMA file and then maybe the new revisions will correct the problem... OR is it a corrupt or bad KMA file that needs to be replaced because the new key changer revisions will have no effect

Incidentally, I was using rev 2.011 when these tracks were imported.

C'mon back admin
Unique problem no one else has reported to my memory. Please contact MTUSUPPORT and get him one of your KMA files that key changes while playing. We can debug and make sure it is not a Hoster problem.

Strongly suspect something with your computer setup, but having a KMA file will tell.

SteveWalker
February 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Many reasons. Short enough?

Sorry - I must of got a bit stressed yesterday. I am interested in Hoster and I know you have many happy customers. As soon as you have this key changer working from the drive I would like to know.

Do you understand my point about searching for "any text" in the title or artist fields to bring up a list of songs? This is a service to my customer. Why? Because they can come up to me when it's their turn and tell me a title and I can instantly bring up the song and go. My customers think this is very cool!

Steve