PDA

View Full Version : plextools shuts me down

mohillmd
December 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM
My daughter wanted to add Karaoke capability to our music room computer which was running Windows 98 and had a CD RW drive and a CD DVD drive. I purchased Karaoke Suite 4 package and a plexwriter 52x CDR Internal Mount IDE Drive which I installed to replace the CD RW drive which was not compatible with CD+G. I installed the Karaoke Suite 4 from the CD provided and inserted the Plexwriter disc which installed Plextools and other products on the disc. This promptly froze up my keyboard and my mouse. I was able to remove the plextools from my computer in windows 98 safe mode which freed up my keyboard and mouse. A repeated attempt to install the plexwriter software resulted in same problem. My computer guru suggested upgrading to Windows XP Home edition which I did. When I inserted the Plextor disc it installed automatically. When I attempt any functions such as going on the internet, using My Computer, or starting Microstudio the computer freezes with a not responding message for that function. I have to restart the computer each time I attempt any windows functions. I could not use the remove software function to remove the plexwriter software but was able to use DOS functions to delete everything in the Plextor folder except for Plextools.exe which gives access denied message. My daughter has vetoed my dropkick approach to the computer. Any suggestions about getting this up and running?

quaizywabbit
December 2nd, 2003, 12:53 AM
my guess is that you'll have to go in and do a system restore back to the point when you installed xp.

I'm assuming you installed xp as an upgrade

Its not as good as a clean (full) install.

Backup all your essential files, if you haven't already.

I sometimes get past little quirks like this with Norton Systemworks, it'll scan and fix disc and windows related problems.

also, make sure the jumper on the plextor is set to "master" and the dvd-rom is set to "slave"

if they aren't it may be a hardware conflict causing this..

MTUSUPPORT
December 2nd, 2003, 10:40 AM
I would not install the PlexTools software, it is not needed. If it is causing this type of grief, then I would completely uninstall it.

You can give Plextor a call at 800-886-3935 to talk to one of there Techs. They support this software and are the only people who truly know about it.

I am sure they will beable to help you with their software.

mohillmd
December 4th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Thank you quaizywabbit and Mark, MTU for your replies. I reinstalled Windows XP, checked the jumpeers and removed the PlexTools software and still had problem with the Plextor drive even though it passed all of its tests included in their troubleshooting section. I got through to Plextor tech support who had me disconnect the DVD drive. The Plexwriter worked great and I was able to copy the Plexwriter CD without any problems. We don't use the DVD drive so I will leave it disconnected for now. Thanks again.