PDA

View Full Version : CD Readers

chickdodge
November 18th, 2003, 10:54 AM
I have two CD drives in my computer, a Mitsumi 40/20/48 CD-RW and a 16X DVD-ROM. I have no problem puchasing another drive to burn CD-G media, but will either of the existing drives be able to read them? If not, is there another option?

mlepine
November 18th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I bought the Mitsumi drive once because it said on the box that it could read Karaoke, Well, it doesn't read cdg so I brought it back!

Only one brand will read CDG & it's Plextor. You have the option to buy from MTU which they test each one they ship or take the risk to buy in a good retail store.

Thrust me, you won't find a better burner than Plextor, not only for CDG but for all of it's good qualities!!

Regards

cbrjab
December 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM
I just want to say that as great as plextor is and I myself would recommend getting one, Yamaha and HP also have burners that will burn Karaoke. I have a Yamaha CRW-F1UX and an older HP8200E both usb burners and they both burn CD+G. The yamaha burns around 16x and HP only burns at 4x. Even though the yamaha is rated to burn much faster, it won't. The yamaha doesn't play back well with Microstudio, graphics issue, but the CD+Gs play fine on a Karoake player, and I just have a cheap Karaoke player from Target to test my CDs once I've burned them.I've burned hundreds of CDs and have maybe had 1 or 2 bad ones. I've used the mitsui, memorex, imation, or even the cheapies, they have all worked, I do like the Mitsui disk the best. You can SEE the difference in quality.
I myself am looking into buying a Plextor DVD burner now, so I can do direct copies, on the fly. I've tried the Sony DRU-510A DVD dual format burner and have had no luck with it. I knew it wouldn't work but out of curiosity I had to try it anyway. It was hard to beat the price. Hope this was informative. There are some old discussions about the yamaha somewhere in the forum I had talked to a few people last year about it.

chickdodge
December 7th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks folks, I did finally buy a plexwriter premium cd writer from MTU and I must say I'm a happy camper. Thanks again for your help and guidence.

admin
December 7th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by cbrjab
I just want to say that as great as plextor is and I myself would recommend getting one, Yamaha and HP also have burners that will burn Karaoke. I have a Yamaha CRW-F1UX and an older HP8200E both usb burners and they both burn CD+G. The yamaha burns around 16x and HP only burns at 4x. Even though the yamaha is rated to burn much faster, it won't. The yamaha doesn't play back well with Microstudio, graphics issue, but the CD+Gs play fine on a Karoake player, and I just have a cheap Karaoke player from Target to test my CDs once I've burned them.I've burned hundreds of CDs and have maybe had 1 or 2 bad ones. I've used the mitsui, memorex, imation, or even the cheapies, they have all worked, I do like the Mitsui disk the best. You can SEE the difference in quality.

In past years... MTU has sold Yamaha, Teac, HP, and Sony (who made the HP mechanism). We typically rejected 4 to 6 drives out of a test lot of 10. That was not very good then, and we can accurately tell you that these drives degrade over time and eventually will not do the CDG format correctly. You can read about our testing methods, and what you can expect, by clicking this link (http://mtu.com/basics/karaokecdr.htm) and scrolling to the bottom section of the page.

WARNING! Microstudio 2.506 and higher will NO LONGER use any drive except MTU's CDG Certified drives. All other drives today, including Yamaha and HP will no longer read or write the CDG format. Yes, you can find an older used drive that can do CDG. Microstudio 2.400 will still read these drives if you want to purchase that version.