PDA

View Full Version : Copying One Drive to Another To Back Up Hoster Files

James w murray
November 4th, 2003, 04:33 PM
can someone explain to me how to remove the xtra boot listings everytime i copy my C drive to my D drive i get a new boot option such as
windows xp
Windows xp (#1)
Windows xp (#2)
windows xp (#3)
windows xp (#4)

I only Need Two Of them One for Drive C and one for Drive D
Each time i use drive image 2002 to copy C to D i get a new option
i need to remove the old ones

swaseysd
November 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
James:

If I understand you correctly, it appears you're using an imaging tool to copy files from your C Drive to your D Drive. Imaging tools copy not only the data files but the operating system files as well.

I believe that what is happening with you is that each time you use the imaging application to copy from C to D, it places a new copy of the operating system on your PC and the BIOS sees this when you boot, giving you the choice of which operating system to boot.

If you're concerned simply with backing up your Hoster files, why not do just a straight copy? I have my main Hoster files on an external USB 180-GB drive and my backup Hoster files on an external USB 120-GB drive. I'm only using about 75 GB of disk space for my Hoster files so I have more than enough room to backup my files for a while yet. One external drive is my E Drive and the other is my F Drive. I simply go to my E Drive, select all the Hoster files, select Copy To Folder from the edit menu, and then select the destination folder on my F Drive.

That process works fine for the first time you do the backup. For future backups, you'd only want to copy the newer files from the source drive to the destination drive. For that, simply use the XCOPY command. Here's how.

Go to a command (DOS) prompt and change directory to the source Hoster files. In my case, my source directory is a directory called Karaoke on my E Drive, i.e. E:\Karaoke. While in the source directory, type XCOPY *.* F:\Karaoke /D

The /D parameter copies all files changed on or after the date specified. If no date is specified, it will copy only those files whose source date is newer than the destinatiion date. This saves time because only the files added or changed in the source directory will be copied to the destination directory.

Hope this helps.

Steve D. Swasey
Dayton, OH

swaseysd
November 7th, 2003, 01:57 PM
James:

In posting my earlier reply, I told you what was causing your problem but didn't tell you how to remove it.

I believe the easiest way will be to simply reformat your D Drive. Then, only the operating system on the C Drive will be available. You can then take the steps I told you about in my previous post to back up your Hoster files.

Steve

James w murray
November 7th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply steve
i still have some questions
i am using disk image 2002
when it copies my C drive To My D drive it brings up a window saying all data on the D drive will be destroyed does this not include the operating system on the D drive?
so if i reformatt it then copy will all the xtra listings in the bios go away ?
i had talked to bryan once about another problem and i had mentioned this problem to him
he told me something about going into the bios and removing the listing but we never got around to doing that
do you know how to do this?
mtu set my laptop up so that if my C drive were to crash i could boot the D drive and continue the show that is why i copy my C drive to my D drive so they are exactly the same
also you lost me on the xcopy command (lol) can you explain again step by step
how do i get to a command(dos) prompt?
i have an external 120 hard drive that i haven't used yet
that i will probably be using soon
i have 2 60gb hard drives on my laptop now
heres another question for you (lol)do you know if there is anyway for hoster to look for songs in 2 different folders at the same time?
what i originally wanted to do was once my C drive was full was to start storing hoster files on my D drive as well
(not the same files but a continuation of my database)
instead of just using the D drive as a backup
would i have to reboot into the D drive for hoster to find these songs?
for example lets say i have 400 disks stored on the C drive and i wanted 401 to 800 stored on my D drive
if someone wanted to sing a song off of say number 407
would i then have to reboot to the D drive and open up hoster to find that song or could i just set hoster on my C drive to look for songs in both folders at the same time? This way i could keep all the files stored on my external 120gb drive in case of an emergency as a back up and wouldn't have to carry it around or hooked up to the laptop as my main sorce of files

Thanks for your time
Jim
:)

swaseysd
November 7th, 2003, 04:18 PM
James:

Give me a number I can reach you at. It'll be much easier for me to walk you through this than trying to explain it via this forum or email.

Steve

James w murray
November 7th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Steve heres my number
410-668-0726
Thanks
Jim

James w murray
November 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Steve Thanks For Your Help When I Called You

Sincerely

Jim