PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke Hoster Info Needed

Dmarti29
October 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
I would like to build my own server / pc in order to run hoster. MTU has some nice units, but a bit $$. Would like to know exactly what components are needed to build my unit.

I have found the Barebones case locally. Need to know hard drive requirements, recommended brands, cd /dvd /cdrw brand for loading to hard drive. I am using a Plextor internal now to copy to disc in my home computer. Are there any other newer models?

Once I have the device built, I plan to order Hoster. I already have all the rest of your karaoke software loaded and running.

thanks,
dave

Wallymeister
November 24th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Just read your post and noticed there never was any response to it. I was wanting to do the same thing. I saw a rackmount ATX case that I would like to build my unit with that is reasonablly priced. (3 space or maybe a 2 space)
At http://www.gtweb.net/j3100.html
This is a 3 space unit that is narrow enough to fit into musicians rack case. (SKB or ?)

Have you gotten anywhere or any help with this and if so, "How is it going?"

You can pretty much see what hardware is in the portable unit from the web page describing the system, but if there is a special need of some kind like power supply needed to run whatever hard drive you want to install. Wouldn't want to under size here.

As far as price, I don't think that MTU is overly priced being that everything is set up for you and ready to go but I'm interested in a rackmount case and they are not offering it so I guess I'll have to build myself. Anyone at MTU care to respond to this. Check out the price of the rackmount case and tell me if that is just way more than the XPC case you are building with. Might be able to use a 2 space unit instead. That is questionable because of the depth of their 2 space units.

Anyway, awaiting for someone's response.
Wallymeister

gduns - with the Lord
November 24th, 2003, 04:03 PM
I would highly recommend a 4 space rack, and lots of fans. I built my own system, and it is a 4 space rack, still it is running 114 degrees. thats with 3-4" fans and 3-2" fans. Now if you watercool you probably wouldnt need all the fans. but with a 2 or 2 space rack, you dont have room for much more than 1 dvd/cd and 1 hard drive. I definately recommend against the raid as I have tried it and it was nothing but a headache. Now, I am running a 100 gig on "c" with nothing but an os on it, and for the "d" drive on which I keep the programs & music files I have a 250 gig. This way I can reimage and be up running in 15 minutes if the Boot disk crashes. I have never had a "d" drive crash. Just a thought.....

Dmarti29
October 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I ended up buying a Sony VAIO laptop with 60 gig hard drive. Also Maxto 80 gig external hard drive. All songs are on external. working our Great. The Sony is awesome.

Dave

bobcox- with the Lord
October 10th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I use compaq evo 510 2.4 gigh with 2 internal hard drives. 12x13x3 1/2" easy to mount in road case. Bob