PDA

View Full Version : Black and White TV after RF Modulator

Debinski
October 14th, 2003, 08:21 PM
I get a black and white screen when converting s-video to RF coax in order to connect multiple TV's.
(I have full color when using s-video/composite direct to TV.)

Video Card: Nvidia FX5200 PCI
RF Modulator: Radio Shack

Is anybody else converting to RF (in color) successfully?

Steve.

MTUSUPPORT
October 14th, 2003, 09:15 PM
It should work, without any problems with this setup. I have never tried this video card, but it should work. I know that it will work with the Nvidia MX 400 and Radeon 7500, 9000 and 9600 for sure.

I would check your cables and make sure they are working correctly.

Wayne White
October 14th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I have bought converters about 1 1/2 inches long to go from SVideo to RCA & they work fine. I bought some cheep 4" long wires with SVideo on 1 end and RCA on the other & get a black & white picture when I use them.

Bran new RF Converters actually have an SVideo input, this works fine. With my old RF Converters, I use the converter plug & an RCA cable to the Video In (not Antena In) and it also works fine.

Wayne

gduns - with the Lord
October 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM
I have found with some rf modulators if the color is set higher than 16 bit it will do this. might even have to go to 8bit for cheap card. I have an rca modulator and it will take 32 bit color

Debinski
October 18th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I've checked all my connections and settings and still black and white.

Its really funny because I also use a VocoPro CDG-8000 through the same RF mod. and switch back and forth with the computer.

There's no problem when using the player. When I switch back to the computer...black and white.

I'm thinking there's a low output from the video card or something like that.

Maybe I'll get another or borrow another modulator and try it.

There's a whole boat load of different types at this site:

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/outpdir.jsp?nxtg=c643_039139506BC558C6&search=rf+modulators&doSearch=y

What brand RF modulator are people using with hoster?

Anybody?

Beavis
October 18th, 2003, 05:23 PM
i use the DVD one from radio shack !

gduns - with the Lord
October 20th, 2003, 08:05 AM
I use a digital modulator from RCA with 4 input and 1 output each input and output takes in all from s-video to rca video and outputs to all. it seems to be the best i have found, but it is $50.00 from best but. also has video switching naturally

jahern
October 20th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Just glanced at the problem. Sounds like a situation that I have every now and then with some of my home TV hookups. Whenever I get a black and white output from my Should-be-color TV, I manually switch the TV channel from 3 to 4 to back to 3 again. Then I get color. The TV's I have worked with sometimes have to be reset.
(Hopefully this is a cheap solution)

Debinski
October 29th, 2003, 07:41 PM
For Those Who Care...

It looks like it has to do with splitting the signal in my mixing board.

My mixer is a SoundTech KJ2000v is the same mixer as the VocoPro KJM-8000 Pro with a different paint job.

These mixers have video switching capability.

All video connectors are rca/composite

1 video input for each audio device/channel (a total of 3 inputs)

You need to manually flip the switch to the device your presently using.

Then there are 2 video outputs.

I put one to the RF converter (then to TV's thoughout the room) and one to a 13" TV (rca input).

With this configuration I'll get Blk and Wht after the RF connverter.

If I go straight from the computers video card to the RF converter i'll get color after the RF converter.

There must be some signal degradation by splitting the composite video signal in the mixing board.

Anybody know how to check that? (easily)

see my system: http://www.newdjsolutions.com/rackmount_lcd.htm